Smoothest Feeding Bolt gun 6.5 PRC Rifle Made?

RevJim

Hammer Time Executive member
Looking for those who have handled them, but who makes the smoothest feeding 6.5 PRC? I have only owned a Cascade 6.5PRC briefly and it was a nice "hunting" rifle. I got about 1.25 to 1.5" groups with both factory and handloads, but it fed kinda ragged. That short, fat, sharp shouldered case is an engineers challenge for sure, at least to me, ha. An in-line feed magazine aka Sako 695 would be sweet. Since I am not a LR Hunter, I never handled any high dollar models, they may be the berries, but I'd like to know. Anyone? FWIW I had a 6.5/284 made up on a Mod 700 Short Action (just for the 120-129gr bullets) and it was a bolt of lightning on game with the 120 NBT. But it was a nightmare to feed right. Sometimes 2-3 rounds would pop out of the magazine, ha! I traded it off.

Last edited:
There's a bunch of fine factory rifles that feed and cycle just fine. I suspect you're about to be flooded with suggestions!
To your question...the feed lips have to be adjusted properly to feed the 284 cartridge well. The rebated rim is often troublesome unless the magazine is properly "tuned"/adjusted. A decent gunsmith could have fixed your feed problem in about 10 minutes. An alternative is to install an aftermarket straight magazine instead of the factory box magazine.
I have an 25/284 AI that feeds fine out of a 700 action, even with 40° shoulders!

I have a 6.5 PRC Bergara with a single stack magazine. Bolt is very smooth and if feeds great.

On a side note I also have a 284, 6.5-284 and 6-284 all on 700 actions and as gltaylor said, all feed just fine.

JM2C

How does it feed from a staggered internal magazine anyone? That Cascade was staggered.

Back