StaBall Match -vs- W748 6.5 CM

choprzrul

Hammer Time Executive member
Didn’t have time between this morning’s range session and going camping to get this typed up in it’s entirety, but it appears that StaBall Match is an excellent W748 replacement in a 6.5 Creedmoor using 85gr HH.

My W748 load gave me a tick over 3400 in my 20” Savage….but I dare not shoot it over 55* as the bolt starts getting really sticky :-(

This morning, I shot a load ladder with those 85gr HH in the same rifle using StaBall Match powder. Got to 3435 fps before the bolt got sticky. Backed off 1 grain and shot 2 more rounds. 3x9 scope limits my old eyes, but it’s still under an inch, and exactly the same fps as the W748.

StaBall Match is supposed to be temp stable….I like it!

I’ll post the load data next week…got lucky and got a beach side camp site in Avila Beach for the weekend

I've been working with StaBall 6.5. . StaBall 6.5 has a burn rate close to 4350. W748 has a burn rate close to Varget. I love this place! I thought Staball Match had a burn rate that was slower, but upon some research I discovered it too has a burn rate close to Varget! I continue to be amazed at how much I learn around here.

I've been working with StaBall 6.5. . StaBall 6.5 has a burn rate close to 4350. W748 has a burn rate close to Varget. I love this place! I thought Staball Match had a burn rate that was slower, but upon some research I discovered it too has a burn rate close to Varget! I continue to be amazed at how much I learn around here.
The 2023 Hodgdon burn rate chart shows them all side by side.

1696085381683.png

Back