StaBALL Powders

les

Hammer Time Executive member
I have been testing StaBALL powders and Hammers. I'm pretty impressed so far. This morning, I could hear my grandpa yelling at me that I had two guns that were not cleaned right after shooting at the range, so I did some cleaning this morning. I shot 50 rounds through the Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor with the 118HHT and various charge weights of StaBALL 6.5. I thought it might be a tad slow, but I got an excellent load at just over 3000 fps and a very tight groups. I have posted that load on the load thread. What amazed me besides the great groups and consistency of speed, was this stuff burns very clean. The first patch was hardly dirty. After brushing, the second patch was a little dirty. The third patch came out almost totally clean. The fourth patch, nothing!

Hopefully between storms tomorrow, I'm going to run some ladders with the StaBALL 6.5 in the 300 WSM. I also found a pound of Match (close to Varget burn rate) and am going to do some load development with the 35 Whelen. The more I work with the StaBALL powders the more I like them. Anyone else working with them?

I've used 6.5 StaBALL in my .280 AI, it works best with the lighter bullets 140gr or lighter bullet weights. It did okay with the 150gr ELD-X, but wasn't anything special.

I have heard fantastic reviews with StaBall HD in the PRC and Magnum calibers. These reviews are from avid PRC shooters who know their stuff. It is cheaper and way more available than Retumbo and H1000. I have considered working a load in my Lapua with it.....and then buying a couple 8lb jugs as my Retumbo is getting harder and harder to find.

I found a good 6.5 CM load with 85gHHs and 6.5 StaBall, but I've also heard of some on this site who have had issues with it. It seems like they had unusual pressure spikes, but I don't recall for sure.
I know our friend Bean won't touch the stuff, but I'll leave it to him to explain why.
Maybe the 6.5 on the label???

Staball 6.5 pressured out with lower velocities than W760, RL17, H100V, XMR4350 in 243, 243AI, 708, 708AI.
Little prehensive to try any others in the Staball line.

I run it in a few different things it pretty good but pressure come on quick. One charge it’s good step up very little way over pressure. But keep it low and it’s good stuff.

Reactions: les
I have heard fantastic reviews with StaBall HD in the PRC and Magnum calibers. These reviews are from avid PRC shooters who know their stuff. It is cheaper and way more available than Retumbo and H1000. I have considered working a load in my Lapua with it.....and then buying a couple 8lb jugs as my Retumbo is getting harder and harder to find.
Ok any reviews that can be read? I’m running rl26 in my .30 Sherman with 214’s but decided to switch to the 203gr hht.
Curious if it’s in the ballpark of rl26 for speed.

Reactions: les
Savage lightweight 6.5CM 20" barrel I had load developed for the 85gr HH using W748 that gave me right at 3400 fps. This load is fine below 55 degrees or so, but warmer than that and the bolt gets sticky really quick.

Switched to StaBall MATCH and did load development. Ended up with a load giving me 3431 fps average and no sticky bolt! It took 2.5gr more powder charge weight, but that powder gets the job done for that little rifle :)

I've used 6.5 StaBALL in my .280 AI, it works best with the lighter bullets 140gr or lighter bullet weights. It did okay with the 150gr ELD-X, but wasn't anything special.
Yep, use it with the 140 AH in my 280 AI and it's working very well

Ok any reviews that can be read? I’m running rl26 in my .30 Sherman with 214’s but decided to switch to the 203gr hht.
Curious if it’s in the ballpark of rl26 for speed.
This guy does some pretty good reviews and may be worth watching. Otherwise, I have just heard good things from other shooters.

Here is a a current burn rate chart as well to show where it compares to other powders.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    171.8 KB · Views: 22
I haven’t used staBALL match yet, 6.5 yep.
Tried it in 6.5cm, 270win, 300wby.
Works well in certain places, but haven’t pursued it to much. As already said found up near the max it's a bit sensitive. But decent if you aren't trying to get crazy.
HD yep, tried it against Retumbo. In my 6.5-300wby w/125hht , it was 110fps behind retumbo. When I got to 80gns of both. They both had room to go higher, but ran out of testing time.

So StaBALL Match is much like Varget in burn rate. StaBALL 6.5 is much like 4350 in burn rate. StaBALL HD is close to Retumbo. My main point is I am amazed at how clean this powder burns and it is similar to the Extreme powders in that it isn't temperature sensitive. Riceman said that "near the max it's a bit sensitive." I think that is true of all Ball Powders. As I enjoy the forum, I am seeing more use of Ball Powders. It seems that TAC is one of the most popular powders around here. I do think that there is an advantage with Ball Powders and Hammers in that you don't run out of room in the case as fast because it is more dense. I think Winchester (Hodgdon) has done a good job with this powder. I just don't have that much experience with them over stick powders. The only ball powder I have used is H380 in my 220 Swift when I had it.

I'll give up the 50-150 fps for accuracy. The load I developed for the Creedmoor is amazingly accurate. I might even be able to get more speed if I want to by dropping down to Match over 6.5. I don't see why I should.

Back