Stock Design and Felt Recoil

Another question I have is does barrel length have an effect on recoil? I can't find it now, but I thought I read that putting a 26" barrel on can reduce felt recoil. I think I read it on Nathan Foster's website, but I can't seem to find it again.

Trubkir17 - Nobody says you have to get rid of the original stock. Let it be a closet queen. The 131 grain Heavy Hammer ought to kill anything in North America out of your gun. I'm 90+% sure I will be hunting mule deer with the 137 grain 30 cal. in my RUM.

Trubkir17 - Nobody says you have to get rid of the original stock. Let it be a closet queen. The 131 grain Heavy Hammer ought to kill anything in North America out of your gun. I'm 90+% sure I will be hunting mule deer with the 137 grain 30 cal. in my RUM.
I don't have a lot of centerfire rifles. Good collection of shotguns and 22's but only this rifle and a Rem742. I am going to go to the 90gr or 101gr bullets because of the aforementioned twist in my rifle. I have to source some unicorn tears (primers), and some more 4350 and I will get going on it.
Increasingly I want to tinker with this rifle. My dad didn't like it so much because he couldn't get his preferred bullets to shoot well in it. He was always a fan of heavy bullets, and this rifle wouldn't shoot them. (Twist is close to 1 in 11"). All the pronghorns I have harvested have been with this rifle. The biggest bull elk I have taken, (also the weirdest with one antler pointed forward), has been with this rifle and using 139gr bullets.
With that bullet it groups well and it anchors animals. I think with the Hammers I am thinking of, it will be even better, and I won't have so much blood shot meat on the offside.

Another comparison here are CZ550 Magnums.
They say the European inspired Hogs Back stocks recoil differently to the Straight style stocked rifle called the American Safari.
I can attest to this as my 458 Lott now has the European style stock. I can't quite explain it but the felt recoil is certainly.....different. I would say more of a push than the sharper recoil it had with the straight stock even though it's lighter with this stock. Perhaps slightly more muzzle jump though as well. I used to not like the looks of them but it's kinda grown on me.

Yesterday I was at my local gun store (LGS) and there was a Winchester XPR compact in 6.8 Western there. Just for giggles I tried it out. I found the shorter length of pull very comfortable. I then tried a Winchester SX4 compact and really liked the feel of that shotgun. This was just in the store and no powder was burnt but this experience showed me that the old setting the butt in your elbow and touching the trigger isn't the be all end all of gun fitting.
When I got home I shouldered my favorite Benelli and found that it might be more comfortable if it was a little shorter in the LOP. I don't have a recoil problem with the Benelli even with 3 1/2" loads but I don't shoot it off a bench either.

When I tried that 300WM at the range I thought that gun fit me really nicely, and it had a shorter LOP too. I remember the gentleman telling me something about that.
I have to think that has something to do with felt recoil.

I've often wondered if the reverse slope of the comb on Sauer 100s makes much difference in felt recoil. I read gun writer reviews and they all seem to think so. Makes me wonder if any aftermarket stock manufacturers are doing the same thing?

S100-Classic-PNG-1.png

I've often wondered if the reverse slope of the comb on Sauer 100s makes much difference in felt recoil. I read gun writer reviews and they all seem to think so. Makes me wonder if any aftermarket stock manufacturers are doing the same thing?

S100-Classic-PNG-1.png
I've never tried one but I believe that this is what your looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-055510_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230518-055510_Samsung Internet.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 13
Have you thought about HS precision? They have for $75 (at least it was when I had ordered my stock) a Mercury recoil reduction or it could be spring thingy (cant remember) that they fit in the buttstock of their stocks. They also make stocks for about every manufacturer out there in every shape, size and fashion imaginable. They're not as light as McMillan's or slippery as. I like the way they feel through all temperature ranges. I don't like to stock that feels slippery (to me) when it gets cold.

I hope this helps

Joe

I don't know what to look for but I can tell you that anything made by Rossi will kick like a mule because of their design
Youth model 20g sent my ol lady to urgent care. Thought she broke collar bone.

They have the weight and feel of a cheap bbgun.

BB If you know, is there a way to get the youth 20g into a man sized stock? I see the new turkey gun and wondered if the stock and bbl was interchangeable. Emailed them weeks ago, no response.

If there’s enough to this conversation I’ll make a thread of it in the shotgun section, otherwise sorry to derail this one.

I have been shouldering my rifle and have found some issues. First issue is I have to pick my head up but I can't put lower rings on to get the scope down so I will have to build up the cheek weld area. Second issue may be related to the first but 1out of 4 times I shoulder the gun I'm fighting with my eye relief. I gotta believe this adds to felt recoil
Nothing better than an adjustable cheek rest. Best thing I ever did for accuracy (after turning the trigger pull down). Hammers aside that is.

Have you thought about HS precision? They have for $75 (at least it was when I had ordered my stock) a Mercury recoil reduction or it could be spring thingy (cant remember) that they fit in the buttstock of their stocks. They also make stocks for about every manufacturer out there in every shape, size and fashion imaginable. They're not as light as McMillan's or slippery as. I like the way they feel through all temperature ranges. I don't like to stock that feels slippery (to me) when it gets cold.

I hope this helps

Joe
It does help and I have access to retailer here in Alberta that deals HS Precision stocks. Their current stock is for Rem700, Tikka and Savage so I have to special order in a M70.
The Boyd's "At-One" is catching my eye and if I am special ordering I might go that route.
I also have Wildcat Composites which is a 15 minute drive away from me.

Good to know you are in Alberta. Stu's (Wildcat Composites) stocks are great, I have been using them for over 20 years! He makes a stock for the Mod 70, but gunsmith Gary Flatch turned me onto inletting Wildcats Mauser pattern for the Win Mod 70. It's a little straighter than the 'quazi-featherweight-replica' pattern that Wildcat makes for the Model 70. Wildcat is a great way to go if you don't plan on shooting prone much. If you do, you could always add a stock pack or DIY cheek riser...

The more I learn, the less I know... Or so it seems on this topic.

Shooting position seems to come into play for me in a big way. I know the closer I get to prone, the longer the length of pull needs to be, and the higher the cheekrest needs to be to maintain same eye relief and cheekweld. This is body mechanics, but every BODY is a little different too. A 'one size fits all' does not work.

With offhand and sitting, I like a shorter LOP - it helps me square up to the rifle and keep a more neutral body position. ...with light to moderate recoiling rifles anyway...

Optimizing stock geometry for one specific position generally comes with tradeoffs in other positions, hence why a lot of guys who shoot multi-position competitively use adjustable stocks/chassis.

I have tried a lot of different stocks, but I think I learned more with my first KRG bravo (adjustable cheek rest, adjustable butt pad) in one year than all the others combined!

Good to know you are in Alberta. Stu's (Wildcat Composites) stocks are great, I have been using them for over 20 years! He makes a stock for the Mod 70, but gunsmith Gary Flatch turned me onto inletting Wildcats Mauser pattern for the Win Mod 70. It's a little straighter than the 'quazi-featherweight-replica' pattern that Wildcat makes for the Model 70. Wildcat is a great way to go if you don't plan on shooting prone much. If you do, you could always add a stock pack or DIY cheek riser...

The more I learn, the less I know... Or so it seems on this topic.

Shooting position seems to come into play for me in a big way. I know the closer I get to prone, the longer the length of pull needs to be, and the higher the cheekrest needs to be to maintain same eye relief and cheekweld. This is body mechanics, but every BODY is a little different too. A 'one size fits all' does not work.

With offhand and sitting, I like a shorter LOP - it helps me square up to the rifle and keep a more neutral body position. ...with light to moderate recoiling rifles anyway...

Optimizing stock geometry for one specific position generally comes with tradeoffs in other positions, hence why a lot of guys who shoot multi-position competitively use adjustable stocks/chassis.

I have tried a lot of different stocks, but I think I learned more with my first KRG bravo (adjustable cheek rest, adjustable butt pad) in one year than all the others combined!
Thank you for this reply. I didn't even think about the position aspect of stock design. I am very rarely prone as at the range I shoot off the bench.
My last three shots at game have all been off some form of shoointing sticks. As it turns out I have shot off a mono pod (elk), a bipod (pronghorn), and a tripod (mule deer).
I will have to be careful not to turn it into a gun that only works off a bench.

Back