Success on Alberta Moose Draw Tag

Trubkir17

Hammer Time Executive member
I found out on Thursday that our shop was taking Friday off for Rememberance Day on November 11. I quickly affirmed my permission and I was set to hunt. Got out to my spot and it was so foggy that even though I was only going about 10MPH I almost hit a couple of cattle that were standing on the entrance road to my hunting spot. I got to where I park my truck and changed while I waited for the dawn and the start of shooting light. I left my truck and cursed the fog and then realized that the wind had changed directions and made my original plan for hunting unworkable. I just moved on to plan B and moved out.

I got about halfway to the spot I wanted to sit at when I heard the unmistakable sound of something big with antlers moving in some thick willows. I was glassing through the bush but due to the fog and the thickness of the bush I could not see an animal. I did feel like I saw something big and dark step through a small opening, but it could also have been my mind playing the usual tricks on me. It was unmistakable though I heard it move several times but never could see it. Being a man of action, I knew I could not leave there without totally screwing it up. I dropped my pack and started down a game trail that I thought might get close to him. I didn't get 50 yards when I heard the familiar sound of animals moving away.

Beat up but not beaten I spent some time investigating to see if I could find where and what was in the bush even though I strongly suspected it was a moose. I could not find any sign that I thought was fresh so I moved out of there in an effort to circle around and come at them from a different direction in an area I guessed they might move to.

I got to a road and hadn't moved more than 100 yards down that road when I met the first truck hunter of the day. The people in the truck stopped and talked with me for a couple of minutes and then moved on. A quick side question but do truck hunters in your area where full camo? These guys were in full camo winter gear and it was only -2C or 30F. After they moved on, I continued down the road looking to my right. As I came into a clearing that opened up on my left I could see the silhouette of a bull moose about 300 yards away. I watched him jump the fence from the place where i didn't have permission to the place I had permission. I was immediately pumped up.

I moved to a sandy road that led right to the moose. I dropped my pack and got my shooting stick ready and started walking down the road towards the moose. As I got to the place where I saw the bull jump the fence, I saw a dark shape in the trees. I pulled my binoculars up and saw it was a cow moose looking at me. I was sure the one I saw had a small set of antlers so i continued glassing. I found another cow moose and then I saw the bull. He was standing in the bush and with binoculars I could tell it was a good one. I got my rifle up and turned the scope to 9x. i could see a hole in the bush that was on his chest, but I couldn't pick a spot to aim at because of shadows. I decided to wait. So I waited for what seemed like a long time until one of the cow moose got worked up. She did one of the bluff runs where she ran about 10-20 yards and then stopped to see if anything happened. I managed to stand still and looked at the bull and he had moved out but was now covered by trees. I could see his antlers now and knew that if he presented a shot I would take it.

It took another few minutes but one of the cow moose moved towards him and covered him up and I got a little worried that I might not get a shot. He must have finally lost his nerve because he took about 10 big steps out in the clear and gave me the perfect quartering away shot at an estimated 130 yards. I can still see the sight picture in my head. The cross hairs were mid chest and the bottom of the vertical retical was covering his offside leg. I was chanting to myself "pull,pull,pull" and the trigger broke. I don't think I could have had better form as I was able to catch the impact in the bottom of my scope. Unfortunately, the bull didn't seem to react at all and started leaving. I cycled my Winchester M70 and got back on him and saw a big steaming hole in his side and he just stopped. I was about to send another bullet his way when I saw him start to stagger. He swayed a couple times and turned to face me and fell over. I was pretty scrambled at that point. I was joyful, thankful, sorrowful all at the same time.

Let me tell you I am glad he fell where he did as I was able to get my truck next to him to help me get him processed. That is all the animal you want when you are hunting solo. Anyway I got him home to process but it was a monumental task for a 58 year old guy who goes a buck sixty.

Attachments

• 20231110_095930.jpg
    20231110_095930.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 22
Gday @Trubkir17
That is why I never tire of this place 👍😎
Congrats sir

Great write up & a little jealous as haven’t had moose steaks or heart for nearly 30 years & I don’t know what made think of it when I looked @ that picture but those memories came flowing back
So if you don’t mind let us know how he tastes & im betting mighty fine 😎

Cheers

I feel a bit guilty as I didn't use a Hammer bullet to harvest this guy. I shoot a mid 1970's Winchester M70 in 7mm Rem Mag and I was using Hornady Superformance 139gr SST factory loads. The twist rate in my gun is 1 turn in 10.75" to 1 turn in 10.875". I have checked it multiple times. I hope I don't break any rules but I would love for some of the terminal ballistic guys to post some hypothesis of what happened to the bullet when it hit. I know the PRC and Creedmoor guys won't believe that an old belted magnum shot out of a push feed action actually collected game but it still can happen. :)

In the picture you see the entrance hole. The size of the hole is about 3" in diameter. There was no exit. The moose had no reaction at the shot but only went about 25 yards stopped and tipped over. I didn't take a picture of the lungs, but I would estimate there was a 4" hole on the side of the shot. More data is the shot was 130 - 140yds and he was at the same level or very slightly downhill to me. I didn't get a picture of the hide, but the hole is a bit smaller in the hide. I don't know much about the Hornady SST, but it may be a more frangible bullet than I like.

My uneducated guess is that even that 139gr bullet isn't stable in my gun and hit sideways and that I got lucky to harvest this guy. I have being going back and forth about trying the 90gr or 101gr Hammer Hunter of the 131 Heavy Hammer Hunter. I see there is the 118 HHT now too. I might just stay with the 101 to ensure stablity.

20231112_163618.jpg

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if you weren’t stabilising a 139gr sst.. what is your twist rate?

I’m very far from a terminal ballistics expert but I suspect that all that you are seeing is an sst doing more or less what you would expect. The design premise of the SST (Super Shock Tip) is a highly frangible front half of the bullet combined with a tougher rear half of the bullet. The jacket tapers quite dramatically from really thin at the top to quite thick at the rear, it also has a couple of places where the jacket bites into the lead core in an attempt to prevent total jacket-core separation.

It is an attempt at a best of both worlds Bullet, rapid expansion on light game or at longer distances while still maintaining acceptable penetration.

I suspect what you are seeing in the wounding is simply the the frangible tip “blowing up” on impact while the rear or shank of the bullet continued into the vitals

the combination of magnum velocity, heavily built game @ relatively close range with a soft, light for caliber (in the lead world) bullet is probably not ideal, i would be very selective in regard to shot placement with such a set up on game like moose (though I should stress that I have no experience with moose as God unfortunately forgot to put any down under 😭😂)

Anyway hopefully one of the more experienced and knowledgeable folks will turn up soon and set us right!

Congratulations on a very cool animal! Moose hunting looks Awesome!!

That moose may LOOK small in the picture but I promise you it's a little overwhelming, especially if you're by yourself. I have shot several in northern Alberta over the years and I always have the same two thoughts...."Oh my god, what have I done?" and "how the hell am I getting him out of here?" :oops:

Nicely done!!

that slow twist is a little bit limiting 🙁
in that case that heavy hammer may be a good way to go, but hopefully some of the guys who have a bit more experience with the really light 7s turn up with some thoughts, I was thinking the 120HH might work but even that needs a faster twist..

at least virtually any hammer should out penetrate a lightweight sst!

Gday

TJA ‘s analysis of the sst is a good one 👍

I used a lot of the 139sst for my boys & we limited it to our fallow deer & on the whole they work well you just need to be very careful when you get to quater away & even on fallow these become very unpredictable if the shot requires a bit extra penertration & clipping a paunch bets are off

A old rule on frangible is use a big pill that’s soft ( twist also applicable)

For samba I never considered the 139 & went to a 154 weight pill but those were still no good once angles came into play again not one I would like to use on a moose so you done well

On future pill choices if your switching in that rifle I’d also go the 120hh as it’s a proven killer by so many
But now a new kid is on the block & that’s the hht which TJA & i & between us have 3 of the weights in them on the way so a few results will come from this side of the ditch to compare with the data you lot will get

So stay tuned & watch those results as they filter in

Cheers

My 280 REM is 10.7 twist so I chose the 131 Heavy HH for my elk hunt. Didn’t see any elk, but I shot the bullet at enough distances (mv 3150) to confirm it’s stable! I shot a whitetail doe (far from a moose I know) with it last week and it showed good terminal ballistics.

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Congratulations @Trubkir17 Yes, Road hunters in Oregon and Idaho wear full camo! One of the hot spots for elk in the Cascades in Oregon was between a nice road on the south side of a ridge that ran about 8 miles then dipped to the creek and went up the other side about 700 yards. Our gang of 5 always got at least 3 elk out of that draw and never saw another foot hunter the years we hunted it.

I'm with Farleg, I'm drooling over some memories of good moose meat. Let us know how it tastes.

If anyone is wondering why I was using that bullet it was simply the only 7mm rem mag factory load I could find. There was so little 7mm Rem Mag ammo available in my area I couldn't be choosy. I hope I can find primers now and I will get some Hammer loads worked up

If anyone is wondering why I was using that bullet it was simply the only 7mm rem mag factory load I could find. There was so little 7mm Rem Mag ammo available in my area I couldn't be choosy. I hope I can find primers now and I will get some Hammer loads worked up
Trubkir - One thing that is great about this forum is the openness to talk about other bullets. You shouldn't have any shooter's remorse! You put the bullet right in the boiler room, that is the most important thing! You ethically took care of your meat! You should only be feeling the elation of success! Thank you for sharing your story. It makes those of us who keep applying for a moose tag and get that notice we didn't draw feel better.

Let me know when you get ready to load, I have several good loads for the 7 mag with 131 and 143 Hammers. Keep an eye out for RL23 as it works very well in that cartridge also.

Regards

I feel a bit guilty as I didn't use a Hammer bullet to harvest this guy. I shoot a mid 1970's Winchester M70 in 7mm Rem Mag and I was using Hornady Superformance 139gr SST factory loads. The twist rate in my gun is 1 turn in 10.75" to 1 turn in 10.875". I have checked it multiple times. I hope I don't break any rules but I would love for some of the terminal ballistic guys to post some hypothesis of what happened to the bullet when it hit. I know the PRC and Creedmoor guys won't believe that an old belted magnum shot out of a push feed action actually collected game but it still can happen. :)
Nothing to feel guilty about, a very good honest post we'll all learn from.

I've enjoyed following this adventure!

Trubkir - One thing that is great about this forum is the openness to talk about other bullets. You shouldn't have any shooter's remorse! You put the bullet right in the boiler room, that is the most important thing! You ethically took care of your meat! You should only be feeling the elation of success! Thank you for sharing your story. It makes those of us who keep applying for a moose tag and get that notice we didn't draw feel better.
Gday Les
I’m sure a steak or 2 thrown our way would be the only other ethical thing that could top this off right 😜

This also give the new comers a chance to compare then discuss if they wish but I still miss moose steaks lol one day I’ll scab one of someone 🤣

@Trubkir17 im only having fun
You enjoy your well earned meat in the many meals it will provide you
Cheers

Back