T/C Contender 30/30 and 124 Hammer hunter

mopardoctor

Loaded up some 124HH to try out in my Contender Carbine. Smith & Wesson made T/C 23” 30/30 carbine with the deep reamed chamber. .040” longer to the shoulder and .080-.090 longer overall. I use 38-55 cases reformed to to fit the longer chamber.
Previously I ran some velocity checks and got 2678 - 2686 fps using a 125g Nosler BT and 33g of RE7 powder. Here are the 124 Hammer results:
33g RE7. 2722
33.5 RE7. 2766
34 RE7. 2804
34.5 RE7. 2817
35 RE7. 2869
These cases will not fit in a lever rifle and are hotter than a lever gun can handle but I saw no over pressure signs in the Contender. I also tried some newer powders (H335, CFE223, and LVR and all produced less velocity. H335 came close at 37 grains and 2699fps. Might have to make some more H335 loads.

Ok. Give me the additional info. I'll post it as a "carbine". I was just concerned that nobody should try it for a 30-30 load. Some folks don't read carefully?!?

I know what a traditional Contender is. A single shot break open BIG pistol. Wasn't clear on what the carbine version is or looks like. If I list it as a carbine, hope folks know what that is. I'll also list the brass as 38-55 remade and Not for 30-30s.
Still need twist, primer and OAL.

This is a Contender rifle with a unique chamber produced by Smith & Wesson when they took over Thompson Center.
Twist is 1-10, primers are Federal 210, OAL is 2.750 and case length is 2.100. This is a modified 30/30 cartridge and should be considered a wildcat. If these loads are fired in a lever action it will probably blow up or damage the rifle. Do not publish in the data base.

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6
The reason I made the long neck cases is because regular 30/30 cases will stretch excessively and the deep neck area causes poor accuracy. The barrel had originally no freebore machined into the rifling. The throat has now been opened up.
Making the cases is another long story.

Mopardoctor - Thanks for sharing your unique single shot! I see RL 7 has come through again! One of my favorite powders.

Ahhh. Well, I also have fooled with wildcats for years. Like yours, most start from a different parent cartridge. Yours is a very unique creature and very neat! Thank you for sharing! Your post will remain a readily available resource if anyone else wishes to pursue your cartridge. I sincerely hope it gives you a big 😁 grin every time you fire it! Please share your success stories when hunting season rolls around.

Last edited:
Back