Texas Heart Shot Hog

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
22AF75E8-20E0-48F1-8F3D-C6FE2ACB8B4C.jpeg
Robert sent us a picture of a 175lbs. hog he shot with 338 Federal and the 175 Hammer Hunter™ with a 2500 FPS muzzle velocity.
His field report, “the bullet entered just left of rectum shattered pelvic bone and bullet was recovered
under off side front shoulder.” This is one of the few bullets designed not to come apart but deform rapidly. Robert weighed the remaining bullet at 133 grains.
Thanks for sharing. Awesome caliber and thumbs up on the Texas heart shot!

Huh.............. I didn't know there was a Hammer designed that way

IMG_3987.jpeg

I bet the insides looked like a mix between pork soup and pork chili. Probably smelled a little different
I ran a 11/4oz slug this year slight quarter in just inside shoulder on brisket at 70yds on 8pt. Exited out in front of opposite hindquarter. All I can say is I wished I did 4 quarters, backstraps and left everything else. 🤮 But noooooo, I had to field dress. 🤮 Did I mention 🤮

View attachment 5461
Gday Ed
I didn’t know hammers were going the route of a mushroom mono style
I can see it in a subsonic but this I don’t get personally 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if it’s our miss understanding of those wordings & combining the way Steve wrote it & may have meant the shank will not come apart 🤷‍♂️

I really don’t know as the 175hh I’ve got & used shed petals @ the higher velocities we’ve run them @ compared to a federal I’m assuming

I would say personally that if that 175 is meant to shed you have got your answer on balancing a pill as here is the old 137 30 cal all over again yes they killed but keep shooting & especially those angles & that’s not a big pig ( nice pig though & love the shot ) move that to a big pig & same angle you won’t have enough to get through
Imo the hp is to deep & when it’s too deep you start seeing these petals still attached being more as the issue as when you start tinkering you get to the point this happens more often the deeper hp gets

The 338 line is one that can benefit the most from tweaking imo

The 338hht is one that will help stop this if my thoughts are correct but it will still need balancing to get it right imo

to the newcomers this is to the standards some of us have the bar set @ & as you can see the pill killed
But keeping Murphy @ bay longer a balanced pill will do it better & that’s what some of push

Jm2cw
Cheers

Gday Ed
I didn’t know hammers were going the route of a mushroom mono style
I can see it in a subsonic but this I don’t get personally 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if it’s our miss understanding of those wordings & combining the way Steve wrote it & may have meant the shank will not come apart 🤷‍♂️

I really don’t know as the 175hh I’ve got & used shed petals @ the higher velocities we’ve run them @ compared to a federal I’m assuming

I would say personally that if that 175 is meant to shed you have got your answer on balancing a pill as here is the old 137 30 cal all over again yes they killed but keep shooting & especially those angles & that’s not a big pig ( nice pig though & love the shot ) move that to a big pig & same angle you won’t have enough to get through
Imo the hp is to deep & when it’s too deep you start seeing these petals still attached being more as the issue as when you start tinkering you get to the point this happens more often the deeper hp gets

The 338 line is one that can benefit the most from tweaking imo

The 338hht is one that will help stop this if my thoughts are correct but it will still need balancing to get it right imo

to the newcomers this is to the standards some of us have the bar set @ & as you can see the pill killed
But keeping Murphy @ bay longer a balanced pill will do it better & that’s what some of push

Jm2cw
Cheers
I talked to Brian about this yesterday, He said they are like all other Hammers and are supposed to shed petals, I agree the description is misleading

I talked to Brian about this yesterday, He said they are like all other Hammers and are supposed to shed petals, I agree the description is misleading
Gday bean
thanks brother for checking up & setting the record straight 👍
What should be seen for the new comers is the level of performance some of us seek
We don’t just look @ a dead critter 🤔it’s how can we raise the bar & a shedding mono out preforms a Barnes like mushroom mono

Still love that tailpipe shot just make sure the triangle is covered

Cheers

@Farleg - Is the TX heart shot "The" bullet failure test? Sure seems that was with my TX heart shot and now this account. For hogs anyway?

In the case above, I think the pill lacked velocity. Only 2500fps MV. The yardage wasn't given for impact velocity, but it seems slow.
My TX heart shot hog was hit 200yds with 120HH 7mm MV 2900fps. Impact of 2380fps.

Last edited:
Back