Texas Heart Shot Hog

Gday Brad
@Farleg - Is the TX heart shot "The" bullet failure test? Sure seems that was with my TX heart shot and now this account. For hogs anyway?
To me it’s a important part of the full evaluation of pills but“the bullet failure test“ it is not as you get other failure points on angles & resistances on critters & what’s on them or between them & impact as you watch a great penertration pill also fail if it is susceptible to the mechanical broadhead issues we also see

But as for gathering data on that shot placement it is very good @ giving us data as even if one frowns on this shot the data is so valuable as you see things like where the pills wound channel starts to taper & then basically the pencil part of wounds

( it’s not the total penetration it’s working out the good working wound channel )
basically the last 1/4 to 1/3 on average of total penetration of x pill is useless @ killing but on hogs I think it is especially important to have it in our options of angles to take but I think it’s so important to have it on all animals even if we may never use it it’s when things go pear shape this option will be seen as the greatest choice

Best example I’ve seen is securing animals on cliff faces ledges ( I’ll see if I can find pics ) & you need to immobilise that critter fully on the spot or you loose it down ravines or at best a harder recovery

It’s a extremely underrated shot but depending on critter subtle point of impact points are one that also need to understand as it’s not just hitting the rear end as I’ve seen some do & was guilty myself in my early days

here’s a bit to tick on for a texas shot ,
It can actually kill a critter quicker than some chest shots

In the case above, I think the pill lacked velocity. Only 2500fps MV. The yardage wasn't given for impact velocity, but it seems slow.

My TX heart shot hog was hit 200yds with 120HH 7mm MV 2900fps. Impact of 2380fps.
on the above I agree on speed seems slow & yours is one I’d like in a perfect world to increase your impact speed ( you watch a 2600 ish penertrate deeper ) but we are dealing with reality of what occurred so let’s work with those

338 first
The total weight of the pill is what got this pill to that distance but it won’t be much deeper than if the petals were shed in this case

So before people get into sectional density is needed ( I’ll partly agree ) but when you get a well balanced pill you watch sectional density go out the window as was proven so many times not only with hammers

So if that 175 hh was better balanced ( it might differ from my ones but that recovered pill looks as if hp is to deep to me )
You watch most likely the shank exit that hog re the tweaking of the 30 cal 137 proved this over & over again

Now your hog in the 7-08 &120hh

You just had a pig to big for the capabilities of that pill & I doubt the 131 would have made much difference from the difference in penetration I’ve witnessed in those 2 pills

So where to once again I’ll go to the hht or SH pills BUT we must have them balanced if not the same outcome will once again show

A little thing to watch is the way the critter reacts to the shot if ar$e drops but front stays upright you have more probability that spine shock has occurred now sometimes you will take spine out that shows same responses nearly
But the critter on the spine Shock recovery happens & a lost critter occurs if a another shot is not put in it which is easier if it’s only going on a front wheel drive than regained 4x4
Hogs on big numbers you are way better to watch the pig’s response @ impact than just trying to get the lot as securing a critter by double tapping it frees you up for the next one & so on which has given me the greatest numbers on the ground compared to trying to get them all as ultimately you shoot some hogs multiple times as you forget which ones you hit first especially once they scatter everywhere

Whopps got side tracked lol

The balanced hht & SH give us a pill that on the shedding of the petals gives a greater shank speed & greater penetration & a touch more weight does help this but a balanced lower sectional density pill will out penetrate a out of balance higher sectional density pill
& as we know speed kills so why not have both ( impact speed & speed of shank ) but for now on the real big pigs double tap them if on chooses the Texas shot & with the 120 I’d aim just off to full dead centre 3 to 4 inches roughly as it will take out pelvis & double tap is way easier then

Hope that answers your questions

Cheers

Reactions: BFD
Gday Brad

To me it’s a important part of the full evaluation of pills but“the bullet failure test“ it is not as you get other failure points on angles & resistances on critters & what’s on them or between them & impact as you watch a great penertration pill also fail if it is susceptible to the mechanical broadhead issues we also see

But as for gathering data on that shot placement it is very good @ giving us data as even if one frowns on this shot the data is so valuable as you see things like where the pills wound channel starts to taper & then basically the pencil part of wounds

( it’s not the total penetration it’s working out the good working wound channel )
basically the last 1/4 to 1/3 on average of total penetration of x pill is useless @ killing but on hogs I think it is especially important to have it in our options of angles to take but I think it’s so important to have it on all animals even if we may never use it it’s when things go pear shape this option will be seen as the greatest choice

Best example I’ve seen is securing animals on cliff faces ledges ( I’ll see if I can find pics ) & you need to immobilise that critter fully on the spot or you loose it down ravines or at best a harder recovery

It’s a extremely underrated shot but depending on critter subtle point of impact points are one that also need to understand as it’s not just hitting the rear end as I’ve seen some do & was guilty myself in my early days

here’s a bit to tick on for a texas shot ,
It can actually kill a critter quicker than some chest shots

on the above I agree on speed seems slow & yours is one I’d like in a perfect world to increase your impact speed ( you watch a 2600 ish penertrate deeper ) but we are dealing with reality of what occurred so let’s work with those

338 first
The total weight of the pill is what got this pill to that distance but it won’t be much deeper than if the petals were shed in this case

So before people get into sectional density is needed ( I’ll partly agree ) but when you get a well balanced pill you watch sectional density go out the window as was proven so many times not only with hammers

So if that 175 hh was better balanced ( it might differ from my ones but that recovered pill looks as if hp is to deep to me )
You watch most likely the shank exit that hog re the tweaking of the 30 cal 137 proved this over & over again

Now your hog in the 7-08 &120hh

You just had a pig to big for the capabilities of that pill & I doubt the 131 would have made much difference from the difference in penetration I’ve witnessed in those 2 pills

So where to once again I’ll go to the hht or SH pills BUT we must have them balanced if not the same outcome will once again show

A little thing to watch is the way the critter reacts to the shot if ar$e drops but front stays upright you have more probability that spine shock has occurred now sometimes you will take spine out that shows same responses nearly
But the critter on the spine Shock recovery happens & a lost critter occurs if a another shot is not put in it which is easier if it’s only going on a front wheel drive than regained 4x4
Hogs on big numbers you are way better to watch the pig’s response @ impact than just trying to get the lot as securing a critter by double tapping it frees you up for the next one & so on which has given me the greatest numbers on the ground compared to trying to get them all as ultimately you shoot some hogs multiple times as you forget which ones you hit first especially once they scatter everywhere

Whopps got side tracked lol

The balanced hht & SH give us a pill that on the shedding of the petals gives a greater shank speed & greater penetration & a touch more weight does help this but a balanced lower sectional density pill will out penetrate a out of balance higher sectional density pill
& as we know speed kills so why not have both ( impact speed & speed of shank ) but for now on the real big pigs double tap them if on chooses the Texas shot & with the 120 I’d aim just off to full dead centre 3 to 4 inches roughly as it will take out pelvis & double tap is way easier then

Hope that answers your questions

Cheers
Yes thanks! Well shucks, I got the 131HHH spinning up as we speak. It's acting like a fast HH too! It's seeing some pretty good velocity from my AR10 18" and TAC, 2780s. Hornady 139SSTs are 2690s in comparison.

Testing the 118HHT presently too and I'll get a separate thread about all the 7mm Hammers I've tested. I found the velocity calibration from my 18" gas gun to 22" bolt gun to be 120fps. So, just add 120fps to my numbers for estimate of bolt gun velocities in 4" longer barrel.

Last edited:
Back