The Real McCoight

kneedeep

Hammer Time Executive member
Yes I’m referring to the one and only @Farleg

He is one of a kind and I am fortunate to have gotten to know this unique individual. It’s one thing to read peoples posts online, it’s another to speak to them on the phone and yet another to have in depth phone discussions. But when you live with someone for a couple of weeks, you find out who they really are. Fordy is without a shadow of a doubt, The Real McCoy or McCoight 😆.

He has a unique set of circumstances and fortunately for us, he shares his experience with us. You can find individuals that cull animals at his level but I’ve yet to find anyone who digs in as deeply as he does regarding terminal performance, especially at the level that he does. There are many things that Fordy will rush through and or overlook but his family/friends, dairy farm, wildlife management, and terminal performance are the things that occupy his mind and time.

Fordy has piles of written data, tracking bullet performance over many years. I don’t know of hardly any bullet that he doesn’t have written notes of the performance. Documenting it’s strengths, weaknesses and where a bullet will fail regarding it’s weaknesses. There are boxes of recovered bullets, bagged and noted of how and when it failed. It’s overwhelming to say the least and no way did I have time to go through much of it while I was there. It was interesting to see these recovered bullets and read the notes. Especially the ones we had discussed, even though he had sent pictures of them in the past.

Regarding wildlife management, Fordys hunting property is showing improvements. And not from a stand point of targeted animals to hunt. His property is managed on an overall species bases. The large number of culled animals is not about killing numbers of animals. It’s about finding a balance with the habitat and species he’s dealing with. As an example, he was extremely happy we saw a bandicoot on a part of his property where they haven’t been seen before. He just reported on the phone that another was seen in an area not known to hold bandicoots. Also seeing more Tasmania Devil scat. Both of these species have been in low numbers, seemingly gaining numbers again.

I don’t have the time to completely cover my experience in Tasmania but I’ll add to this when I can. As far as terminal performance, I’ll leave that up to Fordy and add to his discussions as I see fit.

Cheers
Kneedeep

Back