Threading for choke tubes?

Carsyn.22

Hammer Time Executive member
I have a barrel for my 870 wingmaster that is 23” and cyl bore, someone in the past cut the fixed full choke off. Anyway my question is this. How much barrel wall thickness is required for threading? Different brands have different diameter threads correct? I would like to stick with rem choke threads if possible.

I hate to do this, but look for a Carlson’s 24” replacement barrel.

My father was a gunsmith for YEARS and had the tooling to do the Winchoke system. It could be hit or Miss on proper tube thickness even among the “same” brand of shotgun. Also when I was looking at cutting off a Cuts/Poly choke and having the barrel threaded for screw in chokes, the replacement barrel was a wash cost wise. Book was 2 hours shop time at $95/hour with no guarantee that we wouldn’t have to replace the barrel.

At that time the almost $200 replacement barrel was a better option.

Good info 👍
Since the barrel has already been cut I can actually measure the wall thickness at 23”, no guessing involved. So to ask another way, does anyone know how many thousands are needed to do the threads safely?

I do also have a full length fixed full barrel that shoots very well so that end of things is covered for my uses.

Back