Trigger Tech failure?

Rausch

Hammer Time Executive member
I was out yesterday doing some long range rock hunting. After the 4th shot something broke inside the trigger assembly. The firing pin would not cock unless the safety was on. Half the time after I got it cocked the firing pin would fall when the safety was disengaged. First I tried a different bolt with the same results then I tried a different Trigger Tech and it didn’t happen. So it’s obviously in the trigger. Has anyone seen this before?

They have great CS, call them ASAP. I would nit use it until the failure is resolved. I had a minor prob (caused by me) they walked me thru and ended perfect. It was bolt stop on 700 causing issue.

Edit added: I have not seen that problem but can you share what rifle?

It is a rem 700 action custom build. Good to know. I might stay away from TT then.

I would look real hard at your bolt stop since in the 700 it is really a weak link. Well that just gave me pause hoping Rem changed that out in new Alpha 1.

How could the bolt stop make this happen? I can’t figure that out but I’m no gunsmith.

Trigger Tech is the perfect trigger for a Masochist.

They have had issues from day one and people still buy them as fast as they can make them.
Wish I would have known that before I put one in!

When I was building rifles I had several conversations with TT about their issues with Rem actions, they are fully aware they will drop the firing pin on a certain percentage of actions but apparently you give enough free product to the right influencers and your good to go. I flat refused to install them due to liability, it's the most dangerous trigger I've ever seen!!

This apply to all TT’s or just the Remington’s with the bolt stop?
I have a 2 stage Special waiting to go in a clone once the headspace gauges show up.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Last edited:
The one thing I have found that helps smooth out the bolt stop function is polish the heck out of it both sides to insure smooth movement. Clean the slot area and even polish it as well. Replace springs with new and insure they work smoothly off the pin. I also use new trigger assembly pins. Holland Gun Smithing had bolt stop springs at one time. I buy new trigger assembly pins off Amazon and so far have been perfect. Replacing these small parts really not costly but you are starting off with new trigger platform. I have not found bolt stops so I spend a lot if time polishing the old ones. The bolt stop has to be smooth as silk with zero resistance. Maybe not needed but my OCD feels better.

Trying NOT to derail, but whats your preferred aftermarket trigger? Anybody..
I'll add I've got 5 timneys, so far but is there a better trigger?

Trying NOT to derail, but whats your preferred aftermarket trigger? Anybody..
I'll add I've got 5 timneys, so far but is there a better trigger?
I haven’t tried a Timney yet, but the TT special with click adjust trigger pull, zero creep, and glass rod break stopped me in my tracks.

I used to do the “Remington Crisp” trigger jobs back in the day. That set up an unbeatable by aftermarket trigger.

Mine TT is fine after I removed bolt stop and did above. Its crazy how crappy the bolt stop design is relative to being fool proof. It has to to be silky smooth, zero resistance, and squeaky clean for absolute flawless operation. The bolt stop return spring installation has to be perfect, heavy enough to really snap it perfectly into place. The pins have to be snug so I buy new ones to insure press fit snug. I spray brake cleaner in this area to remove the tiniest particles, compressed air to flush out.

In fairness, what I do should be done for any trigger. JMHO

I have several Timneys but had to do work to increase stock space for them to work well.

I used to do the “Remington Crisp” trigger jobs back in the day. That set up an unbeatable by aftermarket trigger.
Holland has nice trigger sear spring that really helps stock trigger perform heck of lot better. Easy upgrade.

The one statement that NEEDS to said is if you do not have the right gun smithing experience, have a gun smith do your trigger work. The trigger is you major safety protocol for any firearm. Do not take this work lightly.

Back