Hammer Time Executive member
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:16pm
rh300um, cbjr, and 2 more like this

Who’s chasing turkey this season?
What’s your tool of choice?
Share some pics or a story if you’ve got em.

My boy harvested a long beard Sunday afternoon with his .410. Was a long sit but the flock finally strolled by at ten yards around 1:30p. They left minus one.

meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Mar 28, 2022 at 6:17pm
Post Options
Options Edit Post Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Delete Post Back to Top
Bagged my first 2022 Tom. A triple beard. 12g with 3” #7 tss about 20-25yds out. Came in gobbling and looking hard. I was redlining pretty good at the last gobble. Couldn’t take it anymore so had to end it.
My son and I macheted a trail in to this spot last week and our hard work payed off.

meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:57am
Post Options
I can’t be the only turkey killer here.
harperc Avatar
harperc
Global Moderator

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:45am
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
Options Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Back to Top
I haven't killed one yet. Used to feed a few though.

I've wanted to do it with a rifle. .25-35 and a cast bullet. Although the 100 grain Lever Hammer has appeal.Not legal to do so here though.
rausch Avatar
rausch

Apr 2, 2022 at 5:07pm
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
Our season doesn’t open till April 15th this year. Got a pile of em around though.
gltaylor Avatar
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:38pm
rh300um and meatbuck like this
Post Options
Haven't fooled with them. Feed them and deer year round. Enjoy watching their antics.
Been gobbling here about a week. (Bad weather). Had 2 gobbling and strutting in the lower field this morning.
I believe my wife would shoot me if I killed one of HER turkeys🙄
rh300um Avatar
rh300um
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:28pm
harperc and meatbuck like this
Post Options
Bear season is here
Only got a couple Tom’s over the years
Bear season was and is the primary priority
Headed to New Mexico next weekend for a Buffalo hunt. 260 HH’s at work. Then back home to leave ina week for Alaska
farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:48pm
riceman, gltaylor, and 3 more like this
Post Options
Gday
always on the hunt for a good turkey

cheers
rausch Avatar
rausch

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:58pm
meatbuck likes this
Post Options
Our turkey season is usually open3-5 days before bear season starts but this year it’s the same day. Unless it’s real nice the bears aren’t out much at the beginning of season anyway so turkey hunting fills that void. Once the bears are out good I forget about the birds!
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:40pm
Post Options
gltaylor said:

Are you my dad? We had a similar conversation earlier. Although ultimately his ol lady says he can only shoot them if they’re beating up on their “good turkey” (domestic).
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:41pm
Post Options
No spring bear season here in commiefornia. Have to make do with turkeys and striped bass until trout season.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:43pm
rausch likes this
Post Options
Well I’ve got more pics and stories from today and yesterday’s successful hunts but my service is so poor I can’t upload the pics. Will try again tomorrow.
gltaylor Avatar
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:30am
riceman and meatbuck like this
Post Options
meatbuck said:
gltaylor said:

Are you my dad? We had a similar conversation earlier. Although ultimately his ol lady says he can only shoot them if they’re beating up on their “good turkey” (domestic).

She doesn't mind me shooting deer. They eat her shrubs, flowers and my cotton (I get a depredation permit ea year). Turkeys don't hurt anything, so they're off limits (unless she's gone visiting grandchildren😜)
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:12am
biged and lightthetower like this
Post Options
Friday morning (April fools day) my boy and I went out to try to fool a gobbler. Lots of gobbling action off roost but birds moved off in a big half circle around the property we had permission for. We waited it out and eventually I spotted a bird in the orchard across the field about 500yds out. I popped off a few calls and watched with binos as he took an interest and went into full strut. However as I scanned around a bit more I picked up two more strutters. Then a pair of hens. I figured I’d give some more calls to entice them but shortly after I did the hens moved away and the gobblers followed. We held tight in hopes that once those hens went to drop an egg the toms would swing back to give us some love. Plan worked. A few minutes later two toms were back at the orchard edge gobbling and looking for us. I piped a few more yelps and watched the birds commit to leave the orchard. They didn’t make a straight line across the alfalfa rather swung back to an orchard on the west side of field. But they kept coming with a bit of encouragement from my calling. Before long they were getting to our end of the field but were hard left of us now and seeming going to slip across a canal behind us. I gave em the hey over here dummy and they changed course and here they came into the alfalfa. I told my boy to get his barrel pointed in their direction but a bit of tall grass and weeds blocked his view. I knew if he didn’t get one killed sooner than later there was a good chance they’d slip by under his barrel. The birds hugged the cover until they were about 7 yds out and they let out a gobble. Was nerve racking. No sooner one pops out and skirts right by at about 5yds. However my son didn’t let the second bird do the same. He sawed it’s head nearly off with the wad. 12g 3” Hevishot mag blend. The first bird went out about 30-35yds before I was able to get the gun and get on him. Boom. Nothing. He just walked off a bit out of range and stood there looking kinda sick. I belly crawled as close as cover would let me and let another one fly. Again same results. Bird moved off slowly. Never recovered him. On the way home with his bird we saw a long beard just across a hedgerow from my family’s land. Then two more jakes in our alfalfa following hen. And further out along the north end was two more toms but they were on a mission and moved off a half mile away. I played with the jakes a bit from the truck and as I did the gobbler across the hedgerow lit up. I decided to drop my boy and his bird off at home so he could start his school day and grab another handful of shells. HevI 13 #4 shot this time. Went back over and made a loop out through our orchard up to the alfalfa edge. Sat in a mustard stand and called. North wind was starting to pick up but I heard a faint gobble froM The direction of the lone Tom. Then from the north I heard a bird lite off. I could not see the Tom I was after so I slid back into the orchard to try to put eyes on the bird north of me. As I did I moved away from the original Tom while calling. I’ve used this method to lure birds across the hedgerow and ultimately across the alfalfa about 200yds up to the orchard. Although it wasn’t really my plan to use that method on him, I was more trying to get the bird north to gobble again to get a look at him. Couldn’t see him but it dawned on me what I’d done so I jammed back up to the mustard where my gun and vest were. Didn’t even get to sit down before I realized the first Tom was only 100yds or so out in front of me. Got gun up. Waited for him to close the gap. He stopped at about 35 and I let er rip. He was hit but jumped up and moved right. Banged off a second shot and he jumped again. This time catching the north wind and blowing out to the southwest corner of the alfalfa. Looked like he was going to die in flight and then hit hard. I marked the spot and ran back to truck to get there quicker. Pheasant hunted in towards his last location and saw where he landed and lots of blood. Followed it into a ditch and up to the county road. Blood stopped there and I made several circles eventually picking up the blood leaving the ditch and crossing the county road. The drops were spread really far apart and lead to a dirt field that extends for several hundred yards before another orchard. My guess is he flew a second time as I was retrieving truck. I did go drive the orchard and field edges but to no avail. Headed home with 4 shots fired and no meat to show. Immediately upon returning home I grabbed a cardboard box and a shell and took a pop at 40 yds. Pattern was trash. No surprise that I missed and crippled at that point. Folks will say “well y didn’t u pattern before the season?” Because nontoxic ammo available here in California is expensive as hell and hard to come by. A box of 5 3” shells will run about 60$. That’s if you are registered to purchase (I’m not). If not there’s an additional fee. So say I buy a box and go home to pattern. Now if the first shot patterns well Ive got 4 loads to kill three birds with. If patterning goes poorly I don’t have enough shells to hunt with. So now it’s back to calling around to see if there any ammo available, driving minimum 75-100 mile round trip at 5.49$ per gallon. Then it’s $60 for a box of shells before the addition of non registration fee, about $60 for new choke tube just to get home and pop 12$ holes in cardboard again to more possible disappointment.
These common issues, I can guarantee, have contributed to more lost game since the non toxic ammo law went into effect than it’s ever saved a single f’n condor from lead poisoning. California policies failing in real time. I miss lead.

Attachments:

meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:28am
Post Options
That story ran long. Will get yesterday’s story and pics up later.

meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 4, 2022 at 10:06am
farleg and biged like this
Post Options
Saturday morning I went at it alone. Back to “the giving tree”. Could hear the birds gobbling on the roost per the usual. I got to my mouth call in and piped off a couple fly down cackles. The birds went silent and then bang bang. Two quick shots go off right at the roost tree at about 6:30a. My morning is shot in the *** I told myself. But in an attempt to gain intel on the subject I stayed put and listened. I threw out a few random calls just after the shot to hopefully encourage the remaining birds to stroll my way. Not long after I heard the guys truck fire up and thought he was headed home with a bird or two. But he didn’t leave. Instead he quickly drove the orchard edge to my corner of the field. He was looking hard for something. It seemed as though he had heard me calling and attempted to keep the birds from leaving the orchard and coming into the field I was in. It worked. He then backtracked around the orchard and left.
I sat it out and before long a bird gobbled. I gave him my best it’s safe over here call and a hen started chatting back. They worked my way and to the corner of the orchard where the guy had turned his truck around. That’s the usual spot they go to to look for my calling before breaking into the alfalfa and ultimately into gun range. I thought I had it one about to break into the alfalfa but instead the hens took him behind me. They stayed there for a couple minutes and he kept gobbling Then suddenly went silent after a series of excited calls.
Figured someone was out there and a few minutes later a tractor fires up and starts what sounded like flail mowing that orchard. After that there was zero turkey activity that I could hear or see from my position. Still I decided to wait and see what would happen. Well my sisters little brother must have had a wild hair because at 7:45a he fired up his atv and started making passes on a track behind their house which is in the opposite corner of the field about 600yds away. Then a second child on a motorbike joins and they rip up and down the north end of the field a few times before I watch them push the atv back home.
Now I’m near certain I’m going to kill a turkey. There’s just too much stuff going on around me not to accidentally have one in my lap. At least that’s what I told myself. So I sat and waited. A good hour has passed since motorbike kids and I see three birds head down in the alfalfa right behind my sisters place. I tossed my call in and tooted at them some. No reaction. Pulled binos out and see that they are the pet ducks they have there. Ok I’m done. Been sitting there all morning getting screwed around from every angle. Put binos away, pulled hat off, stripped face mask off, start to put my call away and bam a gobble from the direction of the roost tree. Ok, get set back into my vest, pull mask up, call back in, binos back out, gun back across lap. Call a few times and he responds. I pick him up with binos as he’s in full strut looking my way. Now I’m thinking IVe got to work him to the corner and then break him into the alfalfa. So I call a couple times while watching him through binos. Pull binos down and there’s a gobbler standing in front of me about 50yds out looking hard. I thought he saw me pull my binos down but with a soft call he kept closing. Luckily my little blind setup allowed me to swap binos for gun undetected. He kept coming as I shouldered gun and lined up the bead. Now all yesterday’s bullshift bad pattern, miss, cripple starts to creep into my mind. “Let him get closer“ I told myself. When I thought he was about 20yds I let out a squeak to get him to go head up. Settled the bead and flipped him over backwards. Patience payed off on this one. Even though 20yds was more like 25-27 the results were drt.

Attachments:

meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:54pm
gltaylor likes this
Post Options
Had a quick turkey season this year. Bagged my three toms in the first two weeks of the season.
Went out Thursday before last about noon to cruise the neighborhood in search of a gobbler. Hopefully one I could make a move on and kill. Didn’t take long, went about 400yds down the road from my house when I pulled over to check a field. Hadn’t even pulled up to the field yet and I see one in the orchard towards the far northwest corner. Bird Was in perfect location for me to slip around and set up. He was bedded in the shade so I figured I’d have plenty of time to slide around him and into a stand of mustard. Same stand of mustard I blew an opportunity the week before. So I dumped truck and grabbed gear and gun. Slipped along the edge of the alfalfa and up to the corner of the orchard. Was About 200 yds. Luckily the tall mustard and elevation between field and orchard allowed me to basically just walk down there undetected. I slipped up the access road on my knees from the north end and when my gunbarrel was just above the orchard floor I sat down in the mustard and began to soft call.
Maybe two yelps in he half gobbled. Perfect, Im in the game. By now he’s probably only 100yds out but I can’t see him because he’s too far back in the orchard. I wait and then call again. He gobbled again to my right so I swing my barrel that way and call again. Then I go silent. A few minutes pass and I see him in strut to my left. I wait for him to go behind a tree and swing my barrel back left. Now he’s inside 50 yds. He strutting and looking hard my way but not breaking into (my now limited to 20yds) range (see previous stories). So I turn my head and call very softly away hoping to fool him into thinking I’m beyond the mustard stand. It worked and he closed the gap in full strut but swung back to my right again. So again I wait for him to go behind a tree to swing over on him. Bead settled too well and I popped him while he was still in partial strut causing a feather puff and a couple pellets to the breast. He flipped and was dead in seconds. I stood up and realized why he was strutting and not coming in right away. Was a hen off to my left that had his attention. I apparently was coaxing her in not him. Either way it was my last shell and my last bird of 2022.
Made it back home and hadn’t been gone more than 30 minutes. This prompted me to clean the bird and change gears to striper fishing. Headed out for the evening and boxed my limit before dark. Was a great end to my turkey season.
meatbuck Avatar
meatbuck
Platinum Member

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:56pm
farleg and biged like this
Post Options

farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:40am
harperc likes this
Post Options
Gday Here’s our little turkeys in disguise lol

yes a few of them were hammered 🤣
cheers

Attachments:

harperc Avatar
harperc
Global Moderator

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:10pm
Post Options
www.wideopenspaces.com/black-bear-turkey-decoy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=agora&utm_term=eh&utm_campaign=eh&fbclid=IwAR260rPiL_Sb9cexvXLcpPeaUYrTo4gPZ1v2dfBUgkKJHriaXOK1ohvJTs0

Now that's a turkey hunt.

We have a few Mountain Lion incidents a year here, the one day I went we only called in a coyote!
farleg Avatar
farleg
Platinum Member

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:14am
Post Options
harperc said:
www.wideopenspaces.com/black-bear-turkey-decoy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=agora&utm_term=eh&utm_campaign=eh&fbclid=IwAR260rPiL_Sb9cexvXLcpPeaUYrTo4gPZ1v2dfBUgkKJHriaXOK1ohvJTs0

Now that's a turkey hunt.

We have a few Mountain Lion incidents a year here, the one day I went we only called in a coyote!

Gday Carl
They must think us aussies are a bad bunch lol this is all I got
lucky you guys allow us in 😎
cheers
gltaylor Avatar
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:02am
Post Options
I couldn't open the video either. Facebook wouldn't show it?
harperc Avatar
harperc
Global Moderator

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:06am
farleg and meatbuck like this
Post Options

Can't get the video, but not much more than in picture
rausch Avatar
rausch

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:54pm
riceman, cbjr, and 1 more like this
Post Options
I connected on a long beard this weekend!

Turkey time is here again for some. Not here yet in California but close. Hopefully we have some more stories and pics to share this season.

🍻
🥩🦌

Turkey time is here again for some. Not here yet in California but close. Hopefully we have some more stories and pics to share this season.

🍻
🥩🦌
Anxiously awaiting turkey season here as well Meatbuck! I got the guns cleaned up and outfitted with tight chokes today. We just need to get out and pattern the guns when it warms up a bit. Here's a pic of my daughter's bird from last spring.

Attachments

• 20220415_083817.jpg
    20220415_083817.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 11
A few pics from my scouting yesterday morning. Still in winter flock. Over 100 birds and 30 gobblers estimated. Still a couple miles away from me but whenever they break up, a portion will head my way and roost here for the nesting season.
Have pics from last year, same day and they had been at my place for a few days already. Different happenings with the rain we got this winter.

32F8D77D-1AAB-477A-A9BC-B56C70917107.jpeg
Couple strutters.
E6FC5393-90BC-4CB2-B3CE-A1EB5AEDA1C0.jpeg
A hen we call Smokey. She’s been around on and off for the past 4 years.
F0713DB6-4554-4BAC-8DFE-0DD30ADBD52E.jpeg
Bearded hen that put the jakes to shame.

🍻
🥩🦌

Last edited:
There we go Meatbuck! Thanks for sharing those pics! Maybe Smokey will hatch out some smoke colored Toms that you'll be able to hunt down the road? That would make for a unique mount!

There we go Meatbuck! Thanks for sharing those pics! Maybe Smokey will hatch out some smoke colored Toms that you'll be able to hunt down the road? That would make for a unique mount!
👍🏻
Been hopeful of that. So far she’s the only one.

🍻
🥩🦌

Took a handful of feathers off the back of one this morning. Archery, no blind. Saw me draw and was weary. He just ducked the arrow enough to live another day. Maybe. I might catch up with him later on with shotgun.

No action yesterday. Drifted away to private right off the roost.

🍻
🥩🦌

Birds finally showed at the local roost.
Switched to shotgun for this guy. Made quite a mess.
1C4B48CB-63A5-471B-A665-DDB8674D272A.jpeg
🍻
🥩🦌

Nice bird Meatbuck. I prefer to bow hunt for them. If we ever get spring here in Idaho, I'll be out after them. My hunting area will still be full of snow on the 15th of April which is our opener. I might have to do some exploring for a new area this year at a lower elevation.

Nice bird Meatbuck. I prefer to bow hunt for them. If we ever get spring here in Idaho, I'll be out after them. My hunting area will still be full of snow on the 15th of April which is our opener. I might have to do some exploring for a new area this year at a lower elevation.
Thanks.

I chase em with whatever seems like it would be fitting for that day. Bow, 12g, or put my son or ol lady back of the .410 or 20g. Meats the end goal. Each method has been successful for us.

Weather had delayed movement but seems to be full swing now. Birds at the normal spring roosts now.

Good luck.

🍻
🥩🦌

Update:
Finally found the one I shot with bow opening weekend. Got him about a mile away with shotgun. Didn’t notice it was him until I looked at the picture of him. Can clearly see the line of missing black feathers between his wings. Noticed the big scab and skin flap from the expandable as well as a few snipped off feathers once I went back out to check if what I saw in the pic was accurate. Sure enough was.
547BDC74-50E5-40E2-BC7C-9E2ADC3E06A9.jpeg31E66A78-4742-4470-A6FD-A67540CFD703.jpeg3082B622-B519-490E-83CE-61BA219A3AB0.jpeg
Decent beard. 😁

🍻
🥩🦌

Son got him one last weekend. We had a bit of a rodeo after the shot requiring a lengthy belly crawl and finisher shot. 20g. All’s well that ends well.
48790FAD-E8BD-4B9E-B059-CB01933293C1.jpeg
🍻
🥩🦌

That’s a wrap for 2023 spring turkey for me. Caught this old warrior out midday without company. Although he was spooky and didn’t commit to my calls, he made the mistake of displaying himself in a spot where I could get close to him. When I finally got there he was much closer than I anticipated. He saw me on all fours but he approached just into gun range to strut for me and check me out. When he got inside 40yds he could tell something wasn’t right. I thought the gig was about up so I shouldered my gun while his head was behind a tree. He must have seen that because he paused there out of sight for longer than expected. When he came out the other side he was really looking ready to run so I let er rip.
At 11 3/4” he is my pb beard length Tom edging out my last bird and previous best of 11 1/4”.
This was the bird I missed and stuck the tree with arrow. He had more tail feathers earlier in the season but something got him. The feathers are ripped and shredded like he was in the mouth of a large dog or a lion. Unless maybe he really took a good *** beating from another tom or gang of jakes. Will never know.
Youth season starts again Monday. Might get out with my son to chase em again. We’ll see.

6F284FC7-C92B-4673-A00B-1CAA2C28C09E.jpeg3321E6E2-4563-4480-BEB9-AFEF40D229E7.jpeg068CFCAA-8EE4-4E7F-B49F-996A261AF85F.jpeg
40ECABDD-968F-4F32-AB5B-8D2A53EC3603.jpeg

I connected with this tom today. 32 yards, 20 ga #7 TSS, he hit the dirt and didn't flinch. I've been impressed with TSS over the past few years....

He answered my call with a gobble about 30 min before I saw him. He only gobbled once. He came in silently with 2 jakes to check out the decoy I put out. I like shooting turkeys mid-morning!

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpg
    IMG_7841.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 6
Back