Tyler’s 500 Yard Mule Deer

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
D2E8B4FA-497B-467D-B0FE-03DD2C1524C5.jpeg
Tyler sent us pictures and the story of this awesome Mule Deer he shot at 500 yards.
The next morning was our 4th day and the weather was supposed to start making things more difficult (clear skies, full moon and high winds during the day). I decided that with minimal time and unfavorable conditions for spotting lots of deer, I wasn't going to be too picky. First mature deer I found was going to be in trouble. As predicted the wind was stiff early that morning. We checked a few spots where I'd spotted some true tanks in the days prior that Dan couldn't get on, but all the deer were bedded and unseen. Went to a new spot that had some basalt cliffs offering wind protection and I spotted two deer at 500 yards with my naked eye. As soon as I pulled my binos up I knew I was shooting this deer. I was already getting my rifle ready while the guide was frantically trying to find the Buck. He confirmed age class and started helping me verify wind direction (12:00) and range (500). He asked if I was confident and I grinned back ‘Heck Yeah I am’. We laid two packs down in the snow, I used my bino pouch for a rear support and settled in. I told them that as soon as the Buck stopped broadside I was taking him (he was rutting a doe). About 2 seconds after that he stopped and I ‘Hammered him’.
Top of heart, both lungs, he ran 20 yards and fell over. After the shot l got back in the scope and saw both of them running, quickly jacked in another round and got back in the scope just in time to see him fall over. He was down in less than 5 seconds. Complete pass through for mine and Dans deer so I have no data on retention (but I didn't find any petals either, so I think it had to be high retention)
.”
Tyler was using a 7 Rem Mag and the 155 Hammer Hunter with a MV of 3050 FPS. Congratulations on an awesome Muley and thanks for sharing!

Back