Weatherby 30/378 crimp die

mopardoctor

Finally felt inspired to get a Lee FCD for my big thumper but found that MidwayUSA and Brownells do not carry it. Went to Lee and they had in stock for 50 (ouch) but they will not ship to Washington State because of our gun laws. Finally found that Grafs would do business with me. Now ordered.

Finally felt inspired to get a Lee FCD for my big thumper but found that MidwayUSA and Brownells do not carry it. Went to Lee and they had in stock for 50 (ouch) but they will not ship to Washington State because of our gun laws. Finally found that Grafs would do business with me. Now ordered.
Got the crimp die today and spent a hour tearing the garage apart to find my BIG socket set(3/4โ€ drive). Top threaded bushing on a RCBS Rockchucker takes a 1-1/2โ€ socket and a 18โ€ long breaker to bust loose. Lee large die uses the 1/1/4-12 thread.

What is the fastest you've pushed a Hammer bullet?
5,038fps It was a carefully orchestrated ladder. My goal was to see what difference crimp makes. I don't want to open that can of worms on this thread. What I learned is "to go fast with light bullets requires heavy crimp." My last three shots with very heavy crimp on the 101 Blackouts averaged 5,022 fps. The brass is not reusable. Not due to pressure but the heavy crimp messed up the neck and mouth. There isn't much resistance going down the barrel with the 101 Blackout! If I really wanted to play this game hard, I would go next to a faster powder. However, I just don't have the funds to replace a barrel right now. I wanted to be in the 5k club and I am there! I wasn't going to mention it, but if I had access to a ballistics lab, I'd play with duplex loads.๐Ÿ˜ณ Then one could really see what the top end might be.

Back