What about .45 Colt?

Richcotte

Hammer Time Executive member
Has anyone tried running the .452 Shock Hammer in a Colt? I’ve got a couple SAA clones that are pretty good shooters, but don’t like running hot loads in them. Wondering if the SH would push a little better velocity than Some of the Hornady stuff I typically keep it loaded with…

I'm interested in this as well, I would love to run the .452 SH in my Henry Big Boy
We’d need to compare the tip to primer size…. I’m thinking that it’s probably not lever gun (tubular magazine) friendly.

One way to find out! Try It!
If they expand at pistol velocity then I suspect some of us muzzleloader guys will be interested in trying them.

Got a box of the 221gr SH in .452 and from just a visual inspection I don’t think they will cycle in my big boy or fit in a revolver. The loaded cartridge is Grizzly 45 colt +p 225gr jhp.6F3A643F-6DEC-4EF9-8FEF-A6C8110E1F77.jpeg88DA6557-A42B-4446-8EA5-22CCC5F3D8A5.jpeg

Where is admin?
It is about advertisement on your website.
Thank.

Где модератор ??
Это важно.
Спасибо.

I thought of trying this and brought it up on the old forum. Not sure of the possibility of a seated, crimped OAL for a revolver unless maybe a Colt load from a Casull cylinder... A closed breach specialty pistol would likely have no problem with it.

Additionally, a hot (Ruger only) Colt load is running @1400 fps. Not sure that would meet the expansion needed for this bullet, but maybe? I ran a Colt 300 WFNGC at 1800fos one time. Wouldn’t do it again.

Have you tried seating one in a .45 Colt case and slipping it into a .454 Casull length cylinder?
I’m curious if it would be shorter than cylinder length there. Dummy round with no powder or primer.

Moving up in caliber (.500 Linebaugh) doesn’t beat me up like my FA Model 83 Premiere Grade did.
Sold it and bought a John Linebaugh .45 Colt conversion. It is much more civilized.
My 5-shot Linebaugh .45 Colt would handle .454 Casull if John had run a reamer in it. I declined.

But now you’re making me wonder what that 221 ShockHammer might do…

I asked a while back, they are working on a .452 250gr Jack Hammer for the .45 LC and family of cartridges. Now, a 200gr Lever Hammer would be SWEET to get. My Henry rifle is just begging to shoot a hammer bullet fast (for a pistol cartridge). Currently, I'm pushing a 250gr XTP at ~1600 fps with Lil'Gun at roughly 20k PSI, got loads to test up to ~30k PSI which should get me close to 1800fps.

Back