Who has killed elk

Crp

Who’s killed elk with the hammers? What cal and bullet? For some reason I’m struggling with using the 143 hh’s for elk. They shoot great groups and I’m getting 3340fps with them. Im hung up on using the lead bullets in the 160-180 grain range.

Last edited:
I had a 28 Nosler built just for a limited entry bull elk tag that was coming my way. I fretted over smacking a big bull in the shoulder and having him run off, thus I turned to Hammers, rather than lead. I was still hung up with how big elk are and so I used the 177g Hammer Hunter. When the hunt finally came I dropped a big bull with one shot high in the shoulder. That said, I wish I would have dropped down in weight because the 28 is more than just an elk rifle.
I'm sure my bull would have been just as dead with a 143g HH as it was with the 177 . I would not think another second about shooting anything heavier.
In my experience, elk are not that hard to kill. I've killed elk with a 130 grain 270 bullet and others shoot them with ButterBean's favorite, the 6.5 CM.

Attachments

• Attachment (1).jpg
    Attachment (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
I had a 28 Nosler built just for a limited entry bull elk tag that was coming my way. I fretted over smacking a big bull in the shoulder and having him run off, thus I turned to Hammers, rather than lead. I was still hung up with how big elk are and so I used the 177g Hammer Hunter. When the hunt finally came I dropped a big bull with one shot high in the shoulder. That said, I wish I would have dropped down in weight because the 28 is more than just an elk rifle.
I'm sure my bull would have been just as dead with a 143g HH as it was with the 177 . I would not think another second about shooting anything heavier.
In my experience, elk are not that hard to kill. I've killed elk with a 130 grain 270 bullet and others shoot them with ButterBean's favorite, the 6.5 CM.
Great bull and thanks for your post. I also drew my CWMU elk tag this year. I need to not over think it , but some dumb reason I am.

Who’s killed elk with the hammers? What cal and bullet? For some reason I’m struggling with using the 143 hh’s for elk. They shoot great groups and I’m getting 3340fps with them. Im hung up on using the lead bullets in the 160-180 grain range.
I havent yet, but would have zero problems using a 143g HH for elk, especially at 3340fps. Im currently loading a 140 hammer in prep for this falls elk hunt with my 280AI rifle.

Let go of everything you know about heavier lead bullets, Hammers terminal performance is much more deadly. If you search the web for elk hunting with Hammers you'll find lots of quick kills.

Here is one way I've used to help people ease their "fears" of lighter than normal. You can try it on yourself. Put your 143 beside a 165 and say "look, almost the same size bullet!"

I haven't shot an elk yet, but let's put a little perspective in you choice. My 270win shoots the 117hh at basically the same speed as your 143. My first hammer kill was an average whitetail doe, head-on, at 250yds. Shot went in the neck through about 6 inches of spine, into back strap. Continued on into the body cavity near end of rib cage. Caught the shank in the "pocket" of the pelvis. Well over 3 feet. I'd put money on it being able to go through both shoulders of an elk broadside at same distance. Not that I would try it on purpose though.

My 33 Nosler with the 235 HH has killed several elk the last few years. More weight is very seldom a bad thing especially on an animal that size.

Great bull and thanks for your post. I also drew my CWMU elk tag this year. I need to not over think it , but some dumb reason I am.
I'm gonna guess that your "CWMU" tag is in Utah? That's where mine came from but a limited entry unit.
I understand the "over think" part and it's not dumb. You've probably invested a lot of years waiting for the tag and that always generates angst. It certainly did for me.
In my quest for the perfect combo, I first shot the 175g ELDX, then went to a 199g Berger because it was even more accurate. Both shot well but I had nightmares about a shoulder shot blow up. Then I heard about Hammers and saw great performance reviews, so I gave the 177's a try. When they shot even more accurate than the other two I finally quit burning barrel life and settled down.
I am positive the 143's at that speed will work fabulously, and I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can find the shank after the shot! :)

Yes it’s in Utah. 20 years putting in. Not going to have bulls like yours on the property. I wish but I’m not in shape or healthy enough to go for a great limited entry hunt. I’ll be picking for 300-320 class bulls. I’m ok with that. My shot could be out to 600 yards so I just want a bullet that’s gonna do the job. I hit one and loose it my hunts over. I need to stop over thinking it. My rifle shoots well and I’m a good shot. I just need to relax and stop worrying about a damn bullet.

I've killed several elk. Hunted for them for the first time with Hammers last year. The problem was I didn't even see an elk. I'd be more concerned with the skinny bullet. My father-in-law is a big 7mm fan and we hunted elk together for a long time. He harvested several, so don't get me wrong. I personally won't hunt them with less that a 30 cal. My other advice is to practice, practice, practice. The Hammers will do the job, if you put them in the right place. If I rifle hunt for elk this year it will be with the 137gr HH out of the 300 RUM.

Late to the party....but, shot her in CO w/ 143 HH out of .280 AI @ 3326. IRRC, about 254yds. Quartering to me facing left to right. Enter the point of her should w/ complete pass thru. Dropped DRT so fast I thought I had missed. Shooting off a T-post w/ 25mph winds and 19 degrees and lost the sight picture. Son-in-law spotter had to stop me from shooting another one.... This one never heard the shot!

If the weather ever drops below the melting point of stainless steel, I'm gonna try them in my 7-300 WM for giggles.
I'll probably never shoot another elk w/ 160g NAB that I've used for decades.

Attachments

• AVNP3016.JPG
    AVNP3016.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 14
This is my first year with converting all my rifles to Hammers, but my family has killed a lot of elk with Barnes TSX for the past 20 years. I will be using the 154 HHT in my 300 WSM, and my son will be using a 120 HH in his 7-08. The LAST thing I would ever use anymore is a lead core bullet.

Back