Why I prefer 30 cal over 6.5

les

Hammer Time Executive member
I tried to post a couple of videos from YouTube, but they won't let me. Needless to say, the 30/06 was DRT and the deer in the 6.5 videos ran off like they were not hit. You could see they were good hits, but just didn't have the horsepower to drop them.

The buck I shot with an 85gr HH out of my 20” 6.5CM ran in a circle and piled up. No tracking or follow-up shot needed. Even smaller diameter yet, 90gr AH out of my 25-06 hammers deer.

Come to think of it, the loudest ‘smack’ I’ve ever heard on a deer was a doe @200 yards getting hit with a 140 Accubond out of my 22” 6.5CM. Only about 2600 fps at the muzzle. Piled her up where she stood.

Just my experiences, YMMV….

I tried to post a couple of videos from YouTube, but they won't let me. Needless to say, the 30/06 was DRT and the deer in the 6.5 videos ran off like they were not hit. You could see they were good hits, but just didn't have the horsepower to drop them.
What bullet?

All things being equal a .30 caliber does more that I like than a 6.5.

One can tilt the scale of effectiveness by adding velocity to the the equation. I'm not sure how it all washes out, but I love a good, 06. The extreme velocity 6.5's with good bullets are something to observe though.

Fellas

The year before I found Hammer bullets, I had killed two deer with a 6.5 man bun. Both deer were at 220 yards and shot with a 135 Booger hybrid Hunter. the doe on Tuesday, also the day Donald Trump was elected president👍 was shot in the crease, she made it about 40 yards. If she would have made it 20 more yards she would have made it to a deep slope towards the creek bottom that would have sucked. The buck, on Wed, my biggest to date was a neck shot, he died right there. Did not want to risk him making it too the edge. I had both a 300 rum and a 375 rum at home. I had not yet had surgery on both of my hands yet And the recoil Was just too much. Now to be fair to the 6.5s, before I sold it I had killed two smallish pigs in the Orange Grove with the Zoomie out of the 6.5 06. Both being bang flops.

Fast forward to now, I no longer have a 6.5 man bun, a 25-06, a 6.5-06, a 270 or a 22 Creedmoor. 22 Creedmoor and 270 Barrels are prefits, they're sitting on a shelf. They've been replaced by 35 calibers.

With subscribing to light for caliber and stupid velocities, I can now shoot my 30 caliber rifles at blistering speeds minus the recoil and ensure a quicker to tip result.

Just me

💥🚀🔨☠️

Gday Les
There is no replacement for displacement shot placement...
hand skills hammered it & carls
Topped it off
All things being equal a .30 caliber does more that I like than a 6.5.

One can tilt the scale of effectiveness by adding velocity to the the equation. I'm not sure how it all washes out, but I love a good, 06. The extreme velocity 6.5's with good bullets are something to observe though.

Cheers

Anyone shot a deer with the 124 grain 30 Caliber Hammer Hunter? What were your results?
Deer no, pigs Yes.

I found the 124gn HH grouped really well in my .308 so I went from there.

If it works on pigs it will work on deer. Disclaimer, I have only shot Fallow deer but pigs seem tougher.

I also shot feral cats with my .308 using 124 HH they performed perfectly dropping the cats instantly so no concern about lack of expansion or pencilling through.

Hoping to test these on Fallow soon.

Back