Why meplat shape is important

Farleg

Hammer Time Executive member
Gday
Just a quick note for the new comers on why meplat shape is important and I hope my pictures show this but was extremely easily seen in the field autopsy

The following I had the pleasure to see the smile on a young fellas face of his first stag on my hunting property recently

He was set up from a local gun shop with rifle & ammo & told he was 500 yard capable with that combo 😱
308 win & 165gr sako power head pro factory ammo
( Which is the Sierra Gamechanger )
These pills exhibit a rounded mushroom & dependent on impact the mushroom is flatter or more rounded & calibre expansion is often 1.6 x or more than likely closer to 2x

This impact most likely would be getting closer to 2 x caliber mushroom if not there at that impact
6C6486B8-6E40-42D4-82CC-20E22591F1EE.png
Take note of the taper of the lungs that are kinda pushed in towards the permanent wound channel the wound channel was around 3/4 of a inch on the first lung & few good splits /tears in lung towards permanent wound & rib bone also did nice damage

The impact of this pill was around 2400& deer ran 40 yard mark & was placed extrely well as only off projectile path line to the bottom of the spine by 1&1/4 inches
You could see the meat on spine was rolled from bubble but not dislodged & deer took off like it wasn’t hit

The same as in the lung pic the wound is rolled inwards not a clean cut

This is also partly why these type of pills don’t bleed as consistently as the wound is crushing the tissue more than hammers flat meplat & it kinda seals it off

Now the following is of hammers same impacts & caliber as the mushroom yet vastly different results both of these are more cleaner cut permanent wound channel
1 clipped bottom of spine
DCC2F608-C1E0-4AA0-9DE6-C3C10C952075.png
This one approx 3&1/2 to 4 in of spine
E5C478D1-5566-4658-BF63-C8E3DFA95C5F.png
Yet both bangflop ( won’t happen all the time with the 2nd & depends on a couple other things also but repeatable it has shown to happen on a more consistent basis)

Yet the hammers are only caliber size shank & one that when correctly balanced gives us the flat meplat that has proven to be the most consistent killing design hands down

Just thought I’d put that up as was eye opening for the young fella & I will be now loading his pills as he saw the light so quickly on his stags results compared to the hammer kills was so cool to see the oh I get it moment as no better examples sxs

Hope it helps someone lookout side the box of what was once very good advice but the bar has somewhat changed

Cheers

Gday if any newcomers or anyone for that matter would like me to put up parts of the video autopsy I did as I gave the young fella a good basic overview of a lot of different pill characteristics not just the Sierra so some won’t make sense why I’m talking monos or different types as our conversation the night before went on for many hours & I just tried to condense into that particular autopsy as nothing better than explaining on a critter than hypothetically

It is way too long to attach the lot as nearly ten minutes so I could break it down to the most important parts if everybody wants just let me know & I’ll get this ticked off while I’m compiling the data into notes

Cheers

I've always been a fan of Elmer Kieth. The meplat on the Kieth bullets really worked well when I hunted with the 44 Mag for deer. His findings and theories mirror what Hammers do in my opinion. Now Joe, you got to give us more than pictures!

Last edited:
Gday
I thought what better way to give a even better comparison to go out & try & get a closer examples of the different meplat styles than fresh data & videos to show once I break the original data down of the Sierra & post those videos ( once broken down to manageable size) & same twists & impacts
Well I messed up
Got deer but I was about 2 to 2&1/2 inches to high 😡
View attachment IMG_9377.MOV
Should’ve stayed with my shot out 300 rum as that rifle hones in on the spots to hit 😜

Still got the first lung lobe data & will post up once I get some time
Got to run
cheers

Gday
ok I broke the Sierra video down and hopefully got everything ok with not much overlap or missed to much
But overall I hope you can put it all together in a understandable fashion & my Jibba as I was tongue tied with a few things & wrong words but nothing new with me & we just soldier on

If anyone has a question or I’m not clear or see something I didn’t please speak up as that’s how we learn & improve
View attachment IMG_9379.MOVView attachment IMG_9380.MOVView attachment IMG_9381.MOVView attachment FullSizeRender.MOVView attachment IMG_9385.MOVView attachment IMG_9384.MOVView attachment IMG_9386.MOVView attachment IMG_9388.MOVView attachment IMG_9389.MOVView attachment IMG_9387.MOV
Cheers

Farley: Somebody needs to bring a real knife over for you. 🤓
As many animals as you process you must have to sharpen that Wave Leatherman every night and send it in for a new blade every 6 months.
I tip my hat to you for the journey to find the ultimate “pill”. You’re convincing enough that I’m gonna have to try them Hammers.

Back