“Hammer Bullets BC Sucks”

Well said Harperc. I'm not saying "never long range." What I am saying is you got to get the right gear, and you have to prepare. In a sense it is a whole different game. I would also say it is a bit different when hunting rock chucks vs. game you plan to eat. I enjoy watching "Mark and Sam long range." on YouTube. I took a long range class. It was worth it. I learned a lot. I practiced for about 6 months for an elk hunt. I had a partner. That is another thing with long range hunting we don't talk about much. It really does help to have someone of like or close to like mind along. It isn't an easy solo sport.

As we worked to the ridge where we were going to glass, a nice 5 point bull stepped out at 125 yards. Following my first rule of hunting, "Don't pass up on the first day what you would shoot on the last day of the hunt." The 300 RUM did the job. The next day we were up on the ridge, and I wasn't having to pack a gun. We glassed and glassed. We found a nice bull in a small herd bedded down at about 10:30. They were a good 3 miles away. We worked our way over to them, and got set up at about 3:00. John drilled the Bull at 978 yards. It was a nice 6 point bull. I would say it took between 10 and 15 minutes for us to get everything dialed in for the shot. I had the spotting scope on the Bull. We used two range finders, and a wind meter. We were fortunate that it was a calm day. He was shooting a 338-378 Weatherby. It was 2 am when we got back to camp with the first load. We slept for 4 hours and went back for the rest. I would have to say I had a lot of fun, but it was just too mechanical for me. I decided that wasn't my style of hunting big game. John is still hunting long range and he is very good at it.

Shoot a rock chuck at 900 yards, let it lay and wait for a coyote to come and blast it! I loved hunting them with my 220 Swift.

To get back to some of the original discussion on this thread, and that is the trans-sonic zone I don't have that problem with the 11.7x56R Danish Rolling Block. It is all sub-sonic. My last two times out at the range with the 36 inch gong at 800 yards I hit the gong 8 out of 10 shots with a 405 grain spitzer bullet. The last time out, I had a young man with me that is learning how to shoot. I set up, pulled the trigger. He started to say, "You Missed", and then the gong swinged and sounded! Wish I had a picture of his smile! He hit it 2 times out of 10 with some coaching. There is something satisfying about that seemingly delayed action with a big slow bullet!

If you hunt long range for precious game, just do it ethically and get your practice in. By the way, John has a 1,500 yard range out at his mom's ranch. He practices on it more than a weekly basis. Not many of us have access to such a nice setup.

Last edited:
Well said Harperc. I'm not saying "never long range." What I am saying is you got to get the right gear, and you have to prepare. In a sense it is a whole different game. I would also say it is a bit different when hunting rock chucks vs. game you plan to eat. I enjoy watching "Mark and Sam long range." on YouTube. I took a long range class. It was worth it. I learned a lot. I practiced for about 6 months for an elk hunt. I had a partner. That is another thing with long range hunting we don't talk about much. It really does help to have someone of like or close to like mind along. It isn't an easy solo sport.

As we worked to the ridge where we were going to glass, a nice 5 point bull stepped out at 125 yards. Following my first rule of hunting, "Don't pass up on the first day what you would shoot on the last day of the hunt." The 300 RUM did the job. The next day we were up on the ridge, and I wasn't having to pack a gun. We glassed and glassed. We found a nice bull in a small herd bedded down at about 10:30. They were a good 3 miles away. We worked our way over to them, and got set up at about 3:00. John drilled the Bull at 978 yards. It was a nice 6 point bull. I would say it took between 10 and 15 minutes for us to get everything dialed in for the shot. I had the spotting scope on the Bull. We used two range finders, and a wind meter. We were fortunate that it was a calm day. He was shooting a 338-378 Weatherby. It was 2 am when we got back to camp with the first load. We slept for 4 hours and went back for the rest. I would have to say I had a lot of fun, but it was just too mechanical for me. I decided that wasn't my style of hunting big game. John is still hunting long range and he is very good at it.

Shoot a rock chuck at 900 yards, let it lay and wait for a coyote to come and blast it! I loved hunting them with my 220 Swift.

To get back to some of the original discussion on this thread, and that is the trans-sonic zone I don't have that problem with the 11.7x56R Danish Rolling Block. It is all sub-sonic. My last two times out at the range with the 36 inch gong at 800 yards I hit the gong 8 out of 10 shots with a 405 grain spitzer bullet. The last time out, I had a young man with me that is learning how to shoot. I set up, pulled the trigger. He started to say, "You Missed", and then the gong swinged and sounded! Wish I had a picture of his smile! He hit it 2 times out of 10 with some coaching. There is something satisfying about that seemingly delayed action with a big slow bullet!

If you hunt long range for precious game, just do it ethically and get your practice in. By the way, John has a 1,500 yard range out at his mom's ranch. He practices on it more than a weekly basis. Not many of us have access to such a nice setup.
I still don't get the thing about shooting animals that way. I thought I did at one time, but that changed fast. Maybe ask your buddy why? mtmuley

BC has its place, but I choose my projectiles for hunting based on terminal performance not bc. I keep my hunting mostly within 400 yards and very rarely do I get an opportunity at 500.
Resistance to wind is the only big advantage to me in higher bc and again I keep it within my limits. If I can’t comfortably take a shot I know will be ethical in the conditions I will pass the shot.
I don’t view this as a passed opportunity but more an opportunity to do what’s right as a sportsman.

BC has its place, but I choose my projectiles for hunting based on terminal performance not bc. I keep my hunting mostly within 400 yards and very rarely do I get an opportunity at 500.
Resistance to wind is the only big advantage to me in higher bc and again I keep it within my limits. If I can’t comfortably take a shot I know will be ethical in the conditions I will pass the shot.
I don’t view this as a passed opportunity but more an opportunity to do what’s right as a sportsman.
Give the Governor a Hurumph

Sounds about like a lot of mine arguments with certain folks on another site. “Feenix” lol bc sounds great and can do you fine on paper way out but the bullets not gonna do its job anyway.

Let’s just say we all know that most of these guys yell as loud as they can about how it never has failed them and how everything is DRT. Then they get mad when I say well you just haven’t shot enough stuff. Because let’s face it DRT is never gonna happen all the time no matter what. Second they have a sample size of 2-3 animals a year that don’t bleed, or didn’t flop over when hit. Same guy thought I was lying when I said I shoot over 100 big game a year. And year after year I noticed a significant improvement with hammers over my cup cores and cutting edge.
Seem armchair shooters are just as bad as armchair 1/4 backs
I’ll step down now and give you your box back.

Sounds about like a lot of mine arguments with certain folks on another site. “Feenix” lol bc sounds great and can do you fine on paper way out but the bullets not gonna do its job anyway.

Let’s just say we all know that most of these guys yell as loud as they can about how it never has failed them and how everything is DRT. Then they get mad when I say well you just haven’t shot enough stuff. Because let’s face it DRT is never gonna happen all the time no matter what. Second they have a sample size of 2-3 animals a year that don’t bleed, or didn’t flop over when hit. Same guy thought I was lying when I said I shoot over 100 big game a year. And year after year I noticed a significant improvement with hammers over my cup cores and cutting edge.
Reverend

Gday snox
🤣🤣🤣🤣I’m not laughing @ you I’m laughing @ it’s the same pattern

The other thing I’ve learnt is feenix is so full of $h-t & will put anyone under the bus so he looks squeaky clean but I don’t mind liking some of the things he shares on the threads I visit on lrh but overall it’s plain to see his agenda & all came together when I had some extremely interesting conversations with individuals on what they use to do to get what they ultimately planned or should I say feenix wanted

His biggest mistake he made imo was when Steve offered him to announce the release of the hht as man messages came in thick & fast once people put that all together

Yep eventually it is becoming clearer to a lot more people these days

I personally don’t worry about quoting numbers over there anymore & just go broadly with stating numbers in figures etc but do let them know why I won’t quote thoe actual numbers and goes something like the following

“ I’ll keep my numbers out of this as it ruffles some feathers around here with the white noise brigade but it’s a few ”

yes I love watching the so called professionals & gurus that obviously haven’t shot a lot as some extremely easy basic fundamentals of projectile physics weren’t even seen & yet the knives were out for hammers to try & prove a point &
That is where I draw the line in the sand very firm as that’s plain wrong & that’s anybrand not only hammers I’ll take that on board
Yep fake news I dislike

Another thing I’ve picked up over there is a few of the self proclaimed gurus don’t visit lrh a lot & they have stated it when they do
Which once again the reasons they put up are a cover imo if they can’t handle the truth so they don’t visit often as they hate to be called out on what they actually don’t know

My soap box moment but just keep showing factual information as the main stream follow what’s going on & the pictures are clearly getting seen from my personal messages
Cheers

Gday snox
🤣🤣🤣🤣I’m not laughing @ you I’m laughing @ it’s the same pattern

The other thing I’ve learnt is feenix is so full of $h-t & will put anyone under the bus so he looks squeaky clean but I don’t mind liking some of the things he shares on the threads I visit on lrh but overall it’s plain to see his agenda & all came together when I had some extremely interesting conversations with individuals on what they use to do to get what they ultimately planned or should I say feenix wanted

His biggest mistake he made imo was when Steve offered him to announce the release of the hht as man messages came in thick & fast once people put that all together

Yep eventually it is becoming clearer to a lot more people these days

I personally don’t worry about quoting numbers over there anymore & just go broadly with stating numbers in figures etc but do let them know why I won’t quote thoe actual numbers and goes something like the following

“ I’ll keep my numbers out of this as it ruffles some feathers around here with the white noise brigade but it’s a few ”

yes I love watching the so called professionals & gurus that obviously haven’t shot a lot as some extremely easy basic fundamentals of projectile physics weren’t even seen & yet the knives were out for hammers to try & prove a point &
That is where I draw the line in the sand very firm as that’s plain wrong & that’s anybrand not only hammers I’ll take that on board
Yep fake news I dislike

Another thing I’ve picked up over there is a few of the self proclaimed gurus don’t visit lrh a lot & they have stated it when they do
Which once again the reasons they put up are a cover imo if they can’t handle the truth so they don’t visit often as they hate to be called out on what they actually don’t know

My soap box moment but just keep showing factual information as the main stream follow what’s going on & the pictures are clearly getting seen from my personal messages
Cheers
I knew he was not being truthful when every thread of bullets he offers every other option than hammers with no real world experience. Then him and I got into it about Berger having such a better bc and that makes better long range. So I posted all my tables for both my high bc target and the hammers. When I highlighted that shooting his Bergers or Hornady it only gained me 30 yards in my creedmore but gave up a lot of performance at close range heavy none shots.
After pressing him over and over again about why he would want more drop in hunting ranges, less fps in almost all hunting real life shots and the chance of a failure at close range. He blocked me and all my post. That way he can bury his head in the sand and still be able to spew his garbage without ever having to back up his claims with either his preference or data. But he won’t. I just make sure I jump on all his threads and quote his post. Lol

I knew he was not being truthful when every thread of bullets he offers every other option than hammers with no real world experience. Then him and I got into it about Berger having such a better bc and that makes better long range. So I posted all my tables for both my high bc target and the hammers. When I highlighted that shooting his Bergers or Hornady it only gained me 30 yards in my creedmore but gave up a lot of performance at close range heavy none shots.
After pressing him over and over again about why he would want more drop in hunting ranges, less fps in almost all hunting real life shots and the chance of a failure at close range. He blocked me and all my post. That way he can bury his head in the sand and still be able to spew his garbage without ever having to back up his claims with either his preference or data. But he won’t. I just make sure I jump on all his threads and quote his post. Lol
Feenix is the” Chief”of the Hammer Police on LRH

When Steve drops the aht line I’m gonna be Jonny on the spot and pm him with them. That way he can do another one of his famous new mono threads. Or he will skip that one. Either way it’s fun.

I’m sure at some point I’ll be banned. I know I have never been mean or disrespectful to anyone. I just don’t agree or have to see eye to eye with everyone. But I have been warned by them. Hence why I’m here. It’s was like dealing with the government. I asked very specifically why I was warned and to point to what was “rude” and wouldn’t be allowed in
Lens house. Never got a response.
Anyway I like it here

Snox801 I don't think I have welcomed you from Idaho! Speaking of Bergers, I drilled a large whitetail in Montana with a 210 VLD out of my 300 RUM at 75 yards. It wasn't a pretty picture even though it was a DRT. That is the first and last Burger I shot at a critter.

Snox801 I don't think I have welcomed you from Idaho! Speaking of Bergers, I drilled a large whitetail in Montana with a 210 VLD out of my 300 RUM at 75 yards. It wasn't a pretty picture even though it was a DRT. That is the first and last Burger I shot at a critter.
Thanks. I’ve been off this board for a long while. But over swimming up stream other places.

Ya I’ve definitely been impressed and disappointed with Berger. To much volatility in them to trust as a hunting bullet. We have all Been hunting all setup to make long shots only to have a trophy walk out at 30-40 yards. So hammers cover all situations well.

I’m sure at some point I’ll be banned. I know I have never been mean or disrespectful to anyone. I just don’t agree or have to see eye to eye with everyone. But I have been warned by them. Hence why I’m here. It’s was like dealing with the government. I asked very specifically why I was warned and to point to what was “rude” and wouldn’t be allowed in
Lens house. Never got a response.
Anyway I like it here
It seems so long as one is anti-Hammer Bullets on LRH, they can get away with acting however they want.

It seems so long as one is anti-Hammer Bullets on LRH, they can get away with acting however they want.
I think it’s more the ones willing to send a message to pen about how the bad man hurt them. My big warning was a disagreement with orkan. But that dudes another story. Nothing bad was ever said by me about him but he took all of 5 seconds to try and get me banned.

I think it’s more the ones willing to send a message to pen about how the bad man hurt them. My big warning was a disagreement with orkan. But that dudes another story. Nothing bad was ever said by me about him but he took all of 5 seconds to try and get me banned.
Orken is another self extolled narcissistic gun world celebrity…

Orkan? Here I thought was one of the smart and level headed ones 🤷‍♂️ ?? I wouldn’t have thought that of him. Then again I haven’t been over there in a long while, nor have I read any of his stuff on hammer threads…

Orkan? Here I thought was one of the smart and level headed ones 🤷‍♂️ ?? I wouldn’t have thought that of him. Then again I haven’t been over there in a long while, nor have I read any of his stuff on hammer threads…
He is until you challenge “his way of doing something. Then it bad. I basically proved that his way was not the only way because it ran counter to Kirby Allen and Eric cortina. He then messaged Len and told him I was attacking his character. For the record I still don’t have anything against him. He seems like a nice enough dude. But I don’t like that everything he down is the only way and the best. Or he can sell you something like a feather light rifle that beats benches guns. Why would anyone drag a 15 lbs rifle to the bench if you didn’t have to?

Back