“More Surface Area = More Tissue Damage”

Get that 338 up to your preferred speeds, and you’ll feel a LOT feel the need for aspirin!
Nah, that"s what muzzle brakes are for😃. They don't make Absolutes in big calibers. They lose their efficiency above a certain point. Was hoping for a lighter HHT, but Fordy says the first cut was a failure😟.
Still hoping....
Don't use the big guys enough to build a capable rifle.

Gday
Got a nudge
look @ this first then I’ll add more of those video’s if I can find them
We also had a thread on the old forum that I don’t know if we got that across here
Then look @ shapecharge & balanced pills

Got to run well really I’m tired up measuring vital wound channel widths 😜
Great discussion
Cheers

Gday
Here’s the the videos I found
View attachment IMG_8614.MOV
101 blackout @3700 impact & 3065 ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8615.MOV
180@2800 impact & 3130ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8616.MOV
180@2350 impact & 2210ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8617.MOV
180@2150 impact & 1900 ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8618.MOV
180@1860 impact & 1380 ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8619.MOV
101 blackout @3470 impact & 2700 ftlbs
View attachment IMG_8620.MOV
101 blackout @2770 impact & 1720 ftlbs

Going to do one @ a time so will be some edits coming as I’m trying not to duplicate & most likely a easy way but we are talking coight here 😜

Cheers

Last edited:
Gday
View attachment 6112
View attachment 6113
View attachment 6114
View attachment 6115
View attachment 6116
View attachment 6117
View attachment 6118

Going to do one @ a time so will be some edits coming as I’m trying not to duplicate & most likely a easy way but we are talking coight here 😜

Cheers
Now that you’re bringing the water show and different velocities and energy into the conversation, how about throwing a wallaby popper into the mix. Maybe a great comparison would be a wallaby popper vs a non popper of the same velocity and pill. I think we found something for you to do in a couple of weeks @joe16 I think this test would visually show the difference in energy transfer. I know you love energy. 😏

Hopefully you get time to make it back to comparisons of the same weight, energy and impact comparisons. You’ve always stated there’s a visual line when you get to the 358 caliber vs everything under. But as we’ve discussed, there are some outliers where the smaller caliber is the better performer.

Get some sleep
Kneedeep

Correct me if I’m wrong Ed but the original post states each pill is 200gr and the impact velocity is the same.
KE=0.5×m×v2
Plug the same mass and same velocity for the three different calibers into the KE equation and the energy is the same for the three pills.

I’m an energy guy to a point but not the traditional more energy equals more killing power. I believe it’s how the energy is transferred. So where the original question gets really grey is the form factor of three different pills (different calibers) can not be the same.
Example to the extreme
View attachment 6102
View attachment 6103
Two hammers of the same weight in different calibers. The form factor is completely different. The energy that’s transferred will be completely different in my opinion.

I also think the mass (animal size and resistance) that these pills impact will affect the outcome. As well as the impact velocity to a degree. Shoot a rabbit with these two pills and the 375 will likely cause more tissue damage. Shoot a moose with these two pills and I believe 264 could cause more tissue damage. At some point the 375 “pancakes” on impact with too much resistance, the energy transferred is wide and short. The added resistance of the moose contains this wide short energy whereas the more concentrated, longer narrower energy transfer of the 264 could cause more tissue damage with the added penetration. That doesn’t mean it’s a good moose pill but hopefully explains my thoughts on energy transfer.

Edit to add: the above is the reason we move to heavier weight pills for larger, heavier weight animals.

To add, who’s going to be able to accurately measure tissue damage? I believe it would have to be enough of a difference to visually see the difference. So “no replacement for displacement” to a point in my opinion.

I’m not even going to get into cup and core pills in this discussion as I believe there are many more grey areas concerning makeup and energy transferred.

Just how I see it
Kneedeep
I love that you use energy transfer rather than a total energy calculated.

Short of sophisticated equipment it would be tough to get a repeatable displacement number. Hence the term "splat factor".

As the nose comes off reasonably early I'm not sure form factor is a big thing in the scenario. A thing though definitely.

Critter size, and make up comes into play for sure. In the original scenario with similar Hammers the edge goes to the .358.

Gday
View attachment 6112
View attachment 6113
View attachment 6114
View attachment 6115
View attachment 6116
View attachment 6117
View attachment 6118

Cheers
Speed looks like the clear winner here

Gday
Game on joe just got off the phone with kneedeep
& seeing your the backwards bullet guru we will do meplat videos as that takes the pills efficiently of shedding out of the equation but we will still do the pills around the correct way so get a idea of how much difference the petals do

Yep the fat girl is in for some fun ( remember when we did the prototypes on designing the fat girl we had a 121 gr 375 cal , that is what we will use as a comparison to the others 😎 ) & I need to get rid of the 124hh pills( 6.5&30 cal ) that are gathering dust lol

Stay tuned this is going to be fun in more ways than one 😇

Mmmm steve may help us 😜🤣

Cheers

Back