124HH in a 308.

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
With my 308 with 47 gr of TAC My rifle hits 3-4 inches to the left every time. Should I go up on the powder or try a different powder? All my other 308 loads shoot just fine. Just that one is off. Even tried a 130 TTSX and it shot to point of aim with that amount of TAC Any ideas?

Funny you mentioned that, Gerald. I could not get the 124HH to group worth a darn with TAC. Saving the rest of the pills so I can FAFO with the 300 HAM’R, so I punted on the .308 win w/ 124HH for now. Found a good load for the 120LH, and I need to thank you for that!

Fwiw, @BFD also has bad luck with the 124HH in .308. Maybe I’ll revisit it one day with another powder.

Reactions: BFD
Funny you mentioned that, Gerald. I could not get the 124HH to group worth a darn with TAC. Saving the rest of the pills so I can FAFO with the 300 HAM’R, so I punted on the .308 win w/ 124HH for now. Found a good load for the 120LH, and I need to thank you for that!

Fwiw, @BFD also has bad luck with the 124HH in .308. Maybe I’ll revisit it one day with another powder.
What did you come up with for the 120LH Was that with TAC?
My 143 LH are spot on with TAC

The full details are here, but the short version is TAC is the gunpowder embodiment of an attorney I dated in my 20’s. No love lost there!
H335 was much more pleasant on our short date on the back patio. 🤣
Oddly, TAC works great with Barnes 130's in the 308. Also with the 143LH, Very happy with that load.
I do have several pounds of H335 that I will try, Also have Bench Rest and a few others to play with. The 120LH are looking pretty good and I think they will be on my next order, along with the 135PH. Those 30-30 bullets will be hell on Whitetails at higher speeds.

Oddly, TAC works great with Barnes 130's in the 308. Also with the 143LH, Very happy with that load.
I do have several pounds of H335 that I will try, Also have Bench Rest and a few others to play with. The 120LH are looking pretty good and I think they will be on my next order, along with the 135PH. Those 30-30 bullets will be hell on Whitetails at higher speeds.
I just shot a tiny group with a 130 TTSX, 3 in one hole and a flyer 3/8 of an inch from the other hole. 48.5 TAC oal of 2.735. Lever Hammers also did well at 45.4 of TAC at 2.650all the holes touched.

Perhaps I’ll revisit this with Varget, then. I simply had it in my head that Varget would be a touch too slow

No, the AR2206H is H4895 not Varget.Please be careful.

Varget is our AR2208, I've seen both listed for the .308 but I generally use "Varget" in my 7mm-08.

I will double check my records of the load.
Thanks, CBH. I, too, have used Varget in the 7mm-08 with success. I don't have any H4895, but I do have several powders around that burn rate that are not TAC, so I'll give them the 'ol college try at some point before I completely dismiss the 124HH.

It’s not a .308 but 22-250 rifle I had a similar issue with. Powders weren’t the problem it was just the way the barrel behaved with specific projectiles. ttsx, sierra, nosler all similar groups, but different POI. The Hammer 44gr was always 7-8” way left with varget, rl15 and imr4064. I got a great groups with varget and re-zeroed the scope to suit the load.

Thanks, CBH. I, too, have used Varget in the 7mm-08 with success. I don't have any H4895, but I do have several powders around that burn rate that are not TAC, so I'll give them the 'ol college try at some point before I completely dismiss the 124HH.
The loads I stumbled on are definitely using AR2206H for my rifle.

I use the 124HH in a 24" IBI barrel on a Tikka action. I got 3 shots touching on a calm day at 100 metres .

My records show I've used some once fired OSA brass that's Outdoor Sporting Agencies headstamp on loads produced by ADI basically our military brass so it's likely thicker. I have loaded it as far as 46gn in my rifle but you need to tune it to yours.

The AR2206H is readily available here and one of the most versatile powders as far as I can tell. It works well in the little .222 and for many common cartridges up to .458wm

It's not the optimal powder in given cartridges but it's versatile for many of them making it useful for volume loaders or those wanting simplicity or a small inventory.

Back