270 WSM -vs- 6.5 PRC

choprzrul

Hammer Time Executive member
Getting ready to buy a new rifle...

If you could have only 1 of those 2 calibers for everything from prairie dogs to moose, which would you choose and why?

For most of what I hunt, it would be either the 118gr HHT in the PRC or the 122gr HHT in the WSM....which I think is pretty much a wash, but I'd sure like to hear what ya'lluns have to say :)

I do wonder if the 90gr HH in the WSM could out run the 85gr HH in the PRC ???

Last edited:
Personally I think the nod would go to the 270. I don't have one but I've studied on them and have all the fixins to build one some day. I do have a 6.5 PRC and it can get the 125 HHT's to 3300 plus, haven't tried the 118's yet. I'd be willing to bet the 270 wsm will edge out the 6.5 prc with the 122's and the 90's

JM2C. Others may have better information on the 270 WSM.

Regards

The .270WSM with 1:7tw, 1:7.5tw or even 1:8tw, long action, sufficient freebore, 24-26" barrel and ya have what it should have been to start with. The .270WSM with lasers or even 156-160 Hammers is formidable.

I think I just talked myself into swapping out a 300WSM that I really don't use!

One possibility I'm looking at is getting a Browning X Bolt in 6.8 Western and having my gunsmith reem out the chamber to 270 WSM. He will blueprint it and reem it for $435. That would get me a fast twist WSM....but I lean towards putting that $435 towards a new Bartlein....

Based in no small part upon the advice given above, I went ahead and had my LGS order me a Browning X Bolt Speed in 270 WSM.

I knew that finding brass was going to be a challenge, so I went looking this morning and found Norma 270 WSM brass in New Zealand. I've got my fingers crossed hoping that A) it's a legit biz, B) they actually have it in stock to ship, C) it will actually make it across the pond.

For now, I'm just gonna shoot the lighter Hammers that behave in the 1:10" twist barrel. I figure if a 85gr HH in my 6.5 Creedmoor will kill a deer, any of the lighter .277" diameter bullets will do the same...

I have 116gr AH and 122 HHT both on hand for another 270 WSM project I'm going to give my son, but I'm really considering the 90gr HH....

I knew that finding brass was going to be a challenge, so I went looking this morning and found Norma 270 WSM brass in New Zealand. I've got my fingers crossed hoping that A) it's a legit biz, B) they actually have it in stock to ship, C) it will actually make it across the pond.
Good luck, you probably know Bertram is the only other readily available source. I’d flip a coin as to whether to take my chances with that nz find or just get Bertram. Kind of a gamble either way.

Good luck, you probably know Bertram is the only other readily available source. I’d flip a coin as to whether to take my chances with that nz find or just get Bertram. Kind of a gamble either way.
Bertram is OOS. I sent them an email inquiring about when they expect it back in stock, but haven't heard back from them.

Back