270 WSM -vs- 6.5 PRC

Good luck, you probably know Bertram is the only other readily available source. I’d flip a coin as to whether to take my chances with that nz find or just get Bertram. Kind of a gamble either way.
Got this email back on the NZ brass order:

Thankyou for your order, we can't export ammo components sorry , we have cancelled your order and sorry for the inconvenience, we only debit your CC on dispatch so no money has exchanged hands yet

Nuts

Bertram 6.5 WSM it is then. Ordered a Hornady full length sizing die with the tapered expander. I’d have preferred the correct head stamp, but this should work

It seems all of you guys are 270 WSM fans so I am going to stir the pot lol. I pick the 6.5PRC. 1) Ammo is readily available on the shelf if needed in a pinch. 2) rifles come standard with 1in 8 twist for heavy for caliber bullets. 3) pretty much every rifle manufacturer is making rifles in this caliber.

It seems all of you guys are 270 WSM fans so I am going to stir the pot lol. I pick the 6.5PRC. 1) Ammo is readily available on the shelf if needed in a pinch. 2) rifles come standard with 1in 8 twist for heavy for caliber bullets. 3) pretty much every rifle manufacturer is making rifles in this caliber.
Some lead and some follow, each to their own

Really the 270WSM and 6.5PRC are so close the differences are mute. I would go either way just this day and age the components are easier to find for the PRC. And the 6.5 diameter bullets have a slightly better sectional density. But I'm not sure it's enough to really make that much difference.

Component availability was part of my struggle in deciding. In the end, the added case capacity and larger frontal area tipped the scales…along with the voices heard here. The PRC would certainly be an easier path….but not necessarily better.

One other thing I also reload for my 260REM so the PRC was logical for me as they can share bullets. Now if I had a 270 skinny ugly I would have leaned toward the 270 fat and pretty crowd lol. Just because you can't have too many guns

That was another thing….picked up a R700 in 270 WSM that I’m getting ready to give my son, so I already have the dies….and I kinda like the idea of sharing a common cartridge with him

Back