300 blackout........thoughts?

OK....this range day is complete.

Final load with the 100 grain SH and W296 is as follows.

W296 20.5 grains
Velocity: 2560 fps
5/8 crimp

Picture shows 5 shot groups without letting the barrel cool. 5 shots in approx 90 seconds. All groups have same powder charge but different crimp added to the brass.

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Here is the ladder test for the 101gr HH Blackout bullet.

19 - 2470
20 - 2520
21 - 2590
22 - 2685
22.5 - 2750 (No pressure on any of these. This is a compressed load)

These were 2 shots per powder load and averaged velocity between the two shots. Shot same point on the target to see how grouping went and it was pretty horrible. No two shots were closer than 2 inches and the overall group was 4-5 inches. I think I am going to switch to a different powder (Lil Gun) and see what the ladder test produces. My experience with groups like this, is cut bait and move to a different powder. I will update tomorrow with how that goes.

May even try to track down a faster burning powder to just see what comes of it. The quest continues.

@jrebel ,
If you want this data posted I'll need all of your rifle and loading data (rifle, bbl, twist, primer,OAL, etc.
George
I was gonna wait and then compile all the data at once for you. Hoping to have a couple powders, bullets and loads so others will have a starting point with this chambering.

Also want to see how each of these bullets cycle through an AR platform.

I never had the blackout but I had the one before it, when I was playing with the 300 whisper I was using 5744, h110, n110 and 296 for supersonic loads. I only have one entry for 296 and the groups were pretty bad, the highest velocity was with n110, the best accuracy was with h110, I used the 5744 a lot with the speer 130s.

Unique and bullseye were the two hands down winners for accuracy out to 300 yards.

The rifle was a 16-in barrel Savage. So not sure if any of this would match over to a gas gun.

Hope this helps.

OK....let's get this post up.

Rifle: Bolt action Ruger Ranch 300 blackout 16" barrel 1:7 twist. I will be shooting it suppressed.
Bullet: 101 grain Blackout Hammer
Primer: Rem 7 1/2
Brass: Starline
Powder: Ramshot Enforcer 21 20.5 grain (Case fill is 21.5-22 grains) edited....went to 20.5 to give a little more room to seat the bullet. Still compresses.
Crimp: 1/2 right at the last PDR groove where the shoulder falls off in groove .
OACL: 2.05"

Ladder test: (two shots each)
17.5 - 2359, 2389
18.5 - 2469, 2455
19.5 - 2557, 2572
20.5 - 2667, 2660
21.0 - 5 shot group with 2775fps average ES 19, SD 8.6
21.5 - 2716, 2706 No pressure but filled almost to the brim.

Pictures below.....
#1 - Cases with 21grains of powder. I may back down to 20.5 as the 10-15 fps gain is velocity is negligible at best and I won't be so compressed. I'll make it back to the range tonight or tomorrow and update if I stick with that charge.
#2 - Ladder test from above minus the 21 grain. 10 shots grouped super well....this is what I am accustom to with Hammers. This is why I switched powders. If my ladder test don't group reasonable well, I won't fight to find a good group with the powder I'm using....just switch now and save some bullets.
#3 - 5 shot group with 21 grains (bottom 1" dot). These were shot in approx. one minute so I could see what the barrel does as it heats. I start to get really bad heat signature off the suppressor after 3 shots. The lowest shot is shot #5 and likely because I was struggling with the heat signature. The 10 holes above it was me sighting in the AR 300 blackout with the same load. It cycled all the rounds without issue. It has a lower power scope for home defense, so I will work with it a little more to see if I can tighten up those groups. With that being said....I wouldn't want to be a bad guy at 100 yards with these bullets. LOL

IMG_8158.jpgIMG_8159.jpgIMG_8156.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought 300 (3 boxes) of these little jems. Gonna play a little bit more with the gas gun and see if I can tighten the group a little more. I'm currently getting 2-2.5 MOA out of a mil spec. AR with the load above. I'm not sure the Mil Spec rifle will do much better, but I will give it a go. I would love to get it to 1-1.5 MOA and then I will load up a pile of these for safe keeping.

Sorry im late to the party but as many know I’ve hunting a lot with the 300blk. Almost exclusively for anything normal hunting for over 10 years now average of around 100 animals a year.

Steve is spot on with the 101 being the best options. I’ve been chasing finding the right bullet to make the 300 better than it was. After a lot of back and forth with Steve about what I ran into with my second favorite blk bullet. He came back with an idea and it worked. That bullet simply works. Killed a lot of deer and pigs with it this year. I load for a few others and it make the blk a fantastic round.

Save your self some time and money and just load with lil gun for the speed. The blk will never burn out a barrel ever. I’ve got so many down my pipe and it’s good as the day I got it.

Pm sent with some load data. Also yes I’ve shot the sub x it’s ok.

I ended up with Ramshot enforcer and it is grouping sub 3/4" out of the bolt gun suppressed. I am getting 2660 fps which is plenty fast. I may end up trying lil gun in the AR's. I will update as I get to that project.

@Snox801, thanks for passing on the info. I have a pound or two of Lil Gun that I had originally picked up for loading my 454 Casull. Then I found out about the erosion issues and haven’t used it. I was thinking I needed to sell it. Nice to know I can run it in my Blk.

Sorry im late to the party but as many know I’ve hunting a lot with the 300blk. Almost exclusively for anything normal hunting for over 10 years now average of around 100 animals a year.

Steve is spot on with the 101 being the best options. I’ve been chasing finding the right bullet to make the 300 better than it was. After a lot of back and forth with Steve about what I ran into with my second favorite blk bullet. He came back with an idea and it worked. That bullet simply works. Killed a lot of deer and pigs with it this year. I load for a few others and it make the blk a fantastic round.

Save your self some time and money and just load with lil gun for the speed. The blk will never burn out a barrel ever. I’ve got so many down my pipe and it’s good as the day I got it.

Pm sent with some load data. Also yes I’ve shot the sub x it’s ok.
I’d be interested in your recipe if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I didn’t see it in the hammer hunter load data

Well I had to try this for myself. Here’s what I came up with today

AR-15, 300 b.o., 8.5” barrel , 1:7 twist, suppressed.
90F already here in Texas, bullets left in sun.
New Hornady brass
Cci 450 primers
Lee Crimped 1/4 turn, last pdr groove
Labradar- at muzzle

Lil gun
18.5gr-1851fps
19.5-1945
20.5-2005
21.5-2050
22.5-2092, compressed. No pressure observed on all rounds, from case or primers. Not impressed with lil gun in sbr

W296
19gr-2195fps
20-2232
21-2302- will hunt here…amazing
21.5gr-2320- pressure. Flat primer and case head bulging

Mag powder seems to work better in shorter barrel 300s.

Back