300 RUM bullet for Elk

I sweated out the long wait for the Sawtooth Tag and even though I jumped in early, I wasn't sure when I got on. Fortunately I did draw an elk tag! So, I'm set. My two partners got tags too. It is shaping up to be a much better year than last year. So it is two bow tags and two rifle tags this year. The hammers will get a chance.

I sweated out the long wait for the Sawtooth Tag and even though I jumped in early, I wasn't sure when I got on. Fortunately I did draw an elk tag! So, I'm set. My two partners got tags too. It is shaping up to be a much better year than last year. So it is two bow tags and two rifle tags this year. The hammers will get a chance.
What’s the weather been like up there this year? Wet/dry? How does that affect the elk season?

So far we are having a very normal summer! A fair share of thunderstorms in your unit. There should be plenty of green on the mountains and water for the elk. Just keep praying we have no fires in our hunt units!
I will!

Update:
I went on my first elk hunt. It was in southern Wyoming and the weather was perfect for my hunt.
I was looking for a 6x6 that was on the ranch I was hunting. We found him with a herd and evidently he had gotten into a scuffle and broken off one side.
I found a 5x5 standing on the outskirts of the herd. Got to 310 yards and decided to send a 180 HH. Hit him and took out lungs and liver. Walk 5 yards and fell over. Bullet and gun performed flawlessly.
It was a very mild load. Averaging 3170 fps but it got the job done.
Southern Precision Rifle
300 Rum
180 HH
I appreciate all of the advice along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
Congratulations, and you did it with your own, worked up Handload! You have entered a "Special Club", lol. I had built and set up a 300 RUM for my Marine Son in Law back in 2006. He was returning from his second tour of Iraq and I was two things: proud of him and "bribing" him for grand babies"! ha. I used a case full of Retumbo and the 200 NAB. He put a Huskemaw "dialemin" on it. He later popped a cow elk a tad over 440yds, great shot with a great elk round! Hammers would be my choice today, but alas, scarce brass/ammo. None for me, I do OK with the 300 Win Mag, but I am not a LR Hunter. If I can get my 338/06 even to 2980 with the 175 HH I am running right with 300WM factory 180 speeds! Gotta love Hammers! So glad for you buddy, you did good! :)

Congratulations, and you did it with your own, worked up Handload! You have entered a "Special Club", lol. I had built and set up a 300 RUM for my Marine Son in Law back in 2006. He was returning from his second tour of Iraq and I was two things: proud of him and "bribing" him for grand babies"! ha. I used a case full of Retumbo and the 200 NAB. He put a Huskemaw "dialemin" on it. He later popped a cow elk a tad over 440yds, great shot with a great elk round! Hammers would be my choice today, but alas, scarce brass/ammo. None for me, I do OK with the 300 Win Mag, but I am not a LR Hunter. If I can get my 338/06 even to 2980 with the 175 HH I am running right with 300WM factory 180 speeds! Gotta love Hammers! So glad for you buddy, you did good! :)
Thank you for your comments and thank your son for his service.
I don’t consider myself a long ranger hunter either.
I regular shoot 300-600 yards but I limit my shots to 400. Not to say if it was the last day of a hunt and the animal presented its self with a shot at 600 yards and I felt comfortable, I would take it. I would have to be sure everything aligned before making the shot.
I put one round on 1k plate with my friends 300 norm but it was just for fun.
The 180 HH worked very well and as I mentioned, very minimal meat damage.

Back