300 RUM bullet for Elk

Randy - I agree with ButterBean and Joe. However since you are hunting in Wyoming plan on wind! That is why I would go with the 154 HHT. I've only hunted antelope in Wyoming. I'm not sure where in Tennessee you are from, but if you are not from the top of the Smoky Mountains, you need to prepare for elevation. All of Wyoming is over 4,000 feet! Also prepare for elevation gain. Where I hunt elk right now, I can be anywhere from 2,700 feet to 8,400 feet all in the same day! That is not on an ATV either, it is hoofing it! Hit the stairs as much as you can! Do you have access to a stair stepper? If it is blowing out, time to get out and practice! I would also add try to do some shooting downhill and uphill. Level shots are a rare occurrence here in the West.

I wasn't going to share this, but I think it might be both an encouragement and a motivation for more load development. Most of my elk have been shot with my 30/06 Ackley Improved. My load? All but one were shot with the180 grain Hornady Spire Point going 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. So my question to you is are you satisfied shooting your 300 RUM at 30/06 AI velocities? I think this shows how much you are leaving on the table. The good news is I know from experience that load will kill elk. So if you stick with the load you shared, I think you will be OK. I just hate seeing the RUM so throttled down. Last but not least. If you drop down to the 137 or the 154 you will be pleasantly surprised at how much less recoil you will experience.

Most important!!!! Have fun on your hunt! :cool:
Thanks for the information les.
Yes, I’m doing 3-4 miles on a 12 degree incline for the last 3 months. I’ve added a back pack with 10 lbs and increasing every week. I’m sure this will not be enough when compared to actual terrain and altitude but it is better than not doing nothing.
I do plan on shooting off of a bipod up and down as much as possible. I’m sure I will not be prepared for every situation that this trip will throw at me. I will continue to shoot as much as I can.
I have quite of bit invested in the rifle, hunt preference points, etc so I have to do my best to do my part.
I will keep everyone updated on my journey.
Thanks
Randy

Yes, I’m doing 3-4 miles on a 12 degree incline for the last 3 months. I’ve added a back pack with 10 lbs and increasing every week. I’m sure this will not be enough when compared to actual terrain and altitude but it is better than not doing nothing.
I do plan on shooting off of a bipod up and down as much as possible. I’m sure I will not be prepared for every situation that this trip will throw at me. I will continue to shoot as much as I can.
I have quite of bit invested in the rifle, hunt preference points, etc so I have to do my best to do my part.
Thanks
Randy
Good on you for getting in shape! It sure is hard to train for elevation thou. couple year's ago I had a Oregon OIL tag I live 100 feet above SL this hunt was around 4300-4600 ft took body about 5 day's to get used to it.

So for my elk hunt in October this is the load development I have decided to go with.
300 Rum Southern precision rifle.
1-10 twist Bartlin
Peterson brass
180 HH
250 CCI mag
86.4 grains H1000
Average 3170

If you can find the post of my primer test, you will see trying different primers is worth the effort. Maybe next rifle will prefer a different primer. Most certainly my Freedom Arms .454 preferred the CCI450 Magnum primer. Many times I fired a five shot cylinder full under 2" at 100 yards. The worst primer was the Federal primer. From the same bench rest the groups were 6".

Thanks
Randy
I’ve been pushing myself hard getting ready for this deer season as well, I carried 6 new batteries from the truck to the golf cart and put new cabin everything as well, I shouldn’t have any trouble now riding to the top of the hill behind the house to watch the fence lines, fwiw th hose dang batteries are heavy 😉

I’ve been pushing myself hard getting ready for this deer season as well, I carried 6 new batteries from the truck to the golf cart and put new cabin everything as well, I shouldn’t have any trouble now riding to the top of the hill behind the house to watch the fence lines, fwiw th hose dang batteries are heavy 😉
I bought a new side by side-carpal tunnel from writing that check!

I KNOW YOUR PAIN!!!

Thanks
Randy
Good job! An out of State hunt isn't cheap! Tomorrow is the sprint for the coveted Sawtooth Elk tag here in Idaho. I hope I get one. 10 years ago it was easy to get one. Too many people have moved to Idaho!

@Raedmonson
Les has a good point on getting in shape and the up and downhill shooting practice . I was born and raised in WV and I can tell you the Appalachian mountains have nothing on these foothills in Idaho. I would even practice shooting with an elevated heart rate so as to get better with your breathing control.

@Raedmonson
Les has a good point on getting in shape and the up and downhill shooting practice .
And side hill and over logs or trees and over your pack. Through brush or timber. Or a combination of all of those. Things happen fast and sometimes it's tough to be calm. Especially if a shot needs dialing. Don't ask me how I know. In 45 years plus of elk hunting I haven't seen it all yet. mtmuley

I think the hardest on the body is the mind games!! I have had 2 OIL tag’s in the Oregon Blue’s 1st time 2014 exhausted my self wanting that 330 + Bull got a 343 opening day!!! Great time but not like it should have been put to much pressure on my self looking for inches..lucked out drew same tag in 2020 hit the lottery.. decided to have fun 2nd time went with family and friends ended up with 315 and had way more fun 2nd go around… point is enjoy where your at and who your with that’s memory’s …prepare and enjoy the journey.

I think the hardest on the body is the mind games!! I have had 2 OIL tag’s in the Oregon Blue’s 1st time 2014 exhausted my self wanting that 330 + Bull got a 343 opening day!!! Great time but not like it should have been put to much pressure on my self looking for inches..lucked out drew same tag in 2020 hit the lottery.. decided to have fun 2nd time went with family and friends ended up with 315 and had way more fun 2nd go around… point is enjoy where your at and who your with that’s memory’s …prepare and enjoy the journey.
Amen! I’m going with my brother and best friends on my first ever elk hunt this year! I’m just hoping to shoot something… ANYTHING!😬

Back