300 RUM bullet for Elk

So for my elk hunt in October this is the load development I have decided to go with.
300 Rum Southern precision rifle.
1-10 twist Bartlin
Peterson brass
180 HH
250 CCI mag
86.4 grains H1000
Average 3170
Nice looking setup. That is a fairly mild load for a RUM. I'm hunting everything with the 156HHT this year. I'll know if I draw a bow tag for elk on Wed. If not I'll be hunting with my 300 RUM.

Yes…I wanted something consistent that shoots good for this hunt.
I plan more load development once I return from my hunt.
Sir

If I'm stepping on your toes I must apologize but sir I do believe you're leaving a lot on the bench.

Here's a little work up I did with h1000 using the Prototype 163hht and then the 154 hht. Just in case you're curious here's my data.

20230709_102826.jpg

I did not settle with h1000 I ended up using rx26. I went out for the third time today with the 154 hhts and the 168 hhts. I'm satisfied with my loads. the 168s I'm settled in at 3715 and the 154s at 3875. Both loads are legitimate sub half inch for two shots. Now all I have to do is run the numbers against the 137 hammers at 3950 and see which one is tops at 500.

October is a long ways off🤔

SPEED KILLS

And if I'm overstepping my bounds, I'm sorry and please accept my apology.

Joe

Sir

If I'm stepping on your toes I must apologize but sir I do believe you're leaving a lot on the bench.

Here's a little work up I did with h1000 using the Prototype 163hht and then the 154 hht. Just in case you're curious here's my data.

View attachment 2020

I did not settle with h1000 I ended up using rx26. I went out for the third time today with the 154 hhts and the 168 hhts. I'm satisfied with my loads. the 168s I'm settled in at 3715 and the 154s at 3875. Both loads are legitimate sub half inch for two shots. Now all I have to do is run the numbers against the 137 hammers at 3950 and see which one is tops at 500.

October is a long ways off🤔

SPEED KILLS

And if I'm overstepping my bounds, I'm sorry and please accept my apology.

Joe
Thanks for the information and no you are not stepping on any toes. I’m a novice when it comes to reloading.
For me, I’m just wanting a load I feel comfortable with out to 400 yards. This will be the load for the hunt and yes, I’m aware that I’m not getting anywhere near the potential of this rifle, it’s a beast.
At this point I’m more interested in killing a nice bull and I don’t think it will know whether it’s hit with a bullet traveling 3000 fps or 3500 fps. In saying that, I’m not discounting your knowledge or advice because I would like to know it’s potential and want as much knowledge on loads such as bullets and powders.
It did shoot 3 shots at 3280 but once it settled in, 3170 was average.
Thanks for your information.

Yes sir, but I went with a brake that fits the aesthetics of the rifle over a bigger brake.
It’s not bad, it pushes back but not painful. Have shot probably 50+ rounds and one setting about 25-30 and shoulder started to notice it.
I’m sure that someone with more experience could shoot the rifle better but it shot .69 moa at 200.

Yes sir, but I went with a brake that fits the aesthetics of the rifle over a bigger brake.
It’s not bad, it pushes back but not painful. Have shot probably 50+ rounds and one setting about 25-30 and shoulder started to notice it.
I’m sure that someone with more experience could shoot the rifle better but it shot .69 moa at 200.
No complaints there and the best thing you can arm yourself with is confidence in your load. I applaud you, just can't wait till you get back and start playing with that thing. keep in touch let us know how it goes and send us a picture of that brute you shoot.

No complaints there and the best thing you can arm yourself with is confidence in your load. I applaud you, just can't wait till you get back and start playing with that thing. keep in touch let us know how it goes and send us a picture of that brute you shoot.
Thanks so much Joe.
I appreciate the knowledge and information that you shared.
I plan to experiment with different powders and HH bullets when I return. I have some HHT’s that I plan to work up sometime later this year.
Thanks
Randy

Randy - I'm going to go along with Joe's thinking a little bit. I'm on my second 300 RUM. I ran heavy bullets the first time, "pre-Hammer" era. The heavier the bullet, the more the kick. My present 300 RUM has a Vais brake. Shooting the 124 gr HH at 4,200 fps doesn't kick hardly at all. Shooting the 137 HH at 3,800 doesn't kick much either. I'm going to be frank. If you really want to be up to speed for your elk hunt you are going to want to get some good trigger time in with your new gun. I'm not talking about just the shooting range, but also some time as close to hunting conditions with targets. For example this week I will be up in the high desert near me with 10 one gallon water jugs place at random places. I'll have my hunting pack on, and will use it as a rest to take out the jugs at various distances.

Sounds like you have a very nice shooting gun. On a personal note: I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with a 124 gr HH. My only reason for going heavier is wind-drift. It took me a while to realize that speed is more important than bullet weight when it comes to Mono bullets like the Hammer. You need to spend some time reading about the animals Farleg has taken with the 137gr HH. Many of them elk size. I'm just going to come out and say it, unless you are hunting past 700 yards, there is no need to shoot the 180 grain bullet. I'm really liking the new 154 HHT.

I'm not sure if this is an out of state hunt. If it is, then all the more reason to get proficient with your gun. You never know about elk. I've shot them with a rifle from 12 yards to almost 600. I agree with Joe that you are leaving a lot on the table, but your load is better than anything you can buy in the store. However seriously, consider developing a load for the 154 HHT. There are a lot of 300 RUM shooters around here. I hit a good accuracy node with the 156 HHT with 95 grains of H4831SC OAL 3.625 inches. 1/2 turn on the Lee Crimp die. Average velocity is 3,720 fps. Oh, another personal opinion - All Hammer bullets should be sold with a Lee Crimp die. You got to crimp to get top performance. Really hoping for a nice bull on your hunt! Just remember all we are trying to do is help. I've been hunting elk for over 40 years in 3 different States. I've shot them with rifle, bow, and muzzle-loader. I've shot Roosevelt and Rocky Mountain. Tule Elk is on my dream list.

Last edited:
Gday
Looks like I’m ready for retirement 😇as the advice above is sound
It’s all in the triangle shapecharge, bubble

@Raedmonson just ask yourself how much penertration you’ll need
time of flight is another part some don’t look @

In summary don’t over complicate things if we meet the triangles requirements a lighter pill than once thought =
Recoil is less
Tof is less
Impact velocity is greater on most ranges we take critters @
Impact to tip is shorter
Yep ✅a lot of boxes for me
If all going well , going to put some stupid lightweight pills in a few big brutes next week so stay tuned as we will catch shanks
( yes the GL shot will be applied 😜 but not on the brutes I’m thinking on with this combo as I’m not even that crazy )

I’ll just add I love the crimp as it’s kiss for me but some don’t crimp & still have good results
But I await for the Lee crimps to arrive
Hmm I’m missing a few 6.5. & ,6 mm &22 cal would be welcome steve 😜

Cheers

Nice looking setup. That is a fairly mild load for a RUM. I'm hunting everything with the 156HHT this year. I'll know if I draw a bow tag for elk on Wed. If not I'll be hunting with my 300 RUM.
Gday Les
156 or 154 ?
Cheers

I really appreciate all the information. I’m a novice when it comes to reloading and optimizing performance.
My hunt is in Laramie Wy and this is my first elk hunt and I’m using a guide. I have only hunted whitetail in my home state of TN. I have a range that I can shoot out to 1250 but I’m limiting myself to 400 yards.
I really like the sound of the 154 HHT and believe it would be ideal based on all the information.
I have 3 other rifles that I plan to do some research on this form to see what is suggested for optimal performance.
7mm STW
7mm rem mag
257 wyb mag
As suggested, I plan to get as much time possible with my rum and worry about the other when I return from my hunt.
I really enjoy reading all of the information on all of the different loads and their performance. I’m not offended at all by anyone’s suggestion, as I mentioned, I’m a novice and need all the advice I can get.
Thanks

I really appreciate all the information. I’m a novice when it comes to reloading and optimizing performance.
My hunt is in Laramie Wy and this is my first elk hunt and I’m using a guide. I have only hunted whitetail in my home state of TN. I have a range that I can shoot out to 1250 but I’m limiting myself to 400 yards.
I really like the sound of the 154 HHT and believe it would be ideal based on all the information.
I have 3 other rifles that I plan to do some research on this form to see what is suggested for optimal performance.
7mm STW
7mm rem mag
257 wyb mag
As suggested, I plan to get as much time possible with my rum and worry about the other when I return from my hunt.
I really enjoy reading all of the information on all of the different loads and their performance. I’m not offended at all by anyone’s suggestion, as I mentioned, I’m a novice and need all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Run the 137’s hard and don’t look back

Randy - I agree with ButterBean and Joe. However since you are hunting in Wyoming plan on wind! That is why I would go with the 154 HHT. I've only hunted antelope in Wyoming. I'm not sure where in Tennessee you are from, but if you are not from the top of the Smoky Mountains, you need to prepare for elevation. All of Wyoming is over 4,000 feet! Also prepare for elevation gain. Where I hunt elk right now, I can be anywhere from 2,700 feet to 8,400 feet all in the same day! That is not on an ATV either, it is hoofing it! Hit the stairs as much as you can! Do you have access to a stair stepper? If it is blowing out, time to get out and practice! I would also add try to do some shooting downhill and uphill. Level shots are a rare occurrence here in the West.

I wasn't going to share this, but I think it might be both an encouragement and a motivation for more load development. Most of my elk have been shot with my 30/06 Ackley Improved. My load? All but one were shot with the180 grain Hornady Spire Point going 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. So my question to you is are you satisfied shooting your 300 RUM at 30/06 AI velocities? I think this shows how much you are leaving on the table. The good news is I know from experience that load will kill elk. So if you stick with the load you shared, I think you will be OK. I just hate seeing the RUM so throttled down. Last but not least. If you drop down to the 137 or the 154 you will be pleasantly surprised at how much less recoil you will experience.

Most important!!!! Have fun on your hunt! :cool:

Great write up Les 👍👍
I’ll only add to Les with practice on uneven ground as a addition for Les comments
I’m voting the hht it’s tip design is the only one I’ve not been able to kill yet & I love that 137 but to me take the best designed pill you can get so the hht is it & maybe 2 sample packs (154&168) would be worth a shot to get your numbers of what your rifle likes the best

Looking forward to your journey
Cheers

7mm STW
7mm rem mag
257 wyb mag
Thanks
As a novice to all this information about warp speed with these hammers is a little hard to wrap ones head around. Your current load is going to kill that elk if you do your part. Having confidence in it is very important.
Yep get your practice in, most don't do it enough.
When your ready to turn those rifles into lightning bolts we will be here to guide you, being a novice at reloading is not a bad thing! It's just the start of a journey of a lot of fun and a adventure.
Your other rifles are going to be 🚀💣
Alan

As a novice to all this information about warp speed with these hammers is a little hard to wrap ones head around. Your current load is going to kill that elk if you do your part. Having confidence in it is very important.
Yep get your practice in, most don't do it enough.
When your ready to turn those rifles into lightning bolts we will be here to guide you, being a novice at reloading is not a bad thing! It's just the start of a journey of a lot of fun and a adventure.
Your other rifles are going to be 🚀💣
Alan
You said a mouthful.👍

Back