308 - 137HH vs 154HHT, BFD’s hog hunt

kneedeep

Hammer Time Executive member
BFD stated “I'll hopefully be dropping TX hogs next week with my 300WM 23.5" barrel with the 137HH MV: 3400 & 154HHT MV: 3200. Gonna hit them right on the shoulder plates. If they'll perform on these hogs, they'll perform on anything.”

I personally think both of these pills will perform well. But which one will perform the best at Brad’s velocities? It sounds like most of the shooting will be close range.

Will there be any noticeable difference?

@Farleg has shown the 137HH to have an enormous bubble. The 137 is a stand out in the 308 line up due to it’s balanced design. The 154HHT is relatively new but if it’s balanced as well as some of the more tested HHT pills, will Brad see a difference in these two pills?

Brad has said most of his shots will likely be close range. Let’s say under 200 yards for discussion sake. I’m sure he’ll let us know the outcome when he gets back. Unfortunately for me, he will be mainly using his 708 for faster shooting. I really want to see the difference between the 137HH and 154HHT. The best of the old against the new. I’d really like to see this matchup in the 308 win instead of his win mag.

I wish you lots of shooting Brad, for science sake of course! 😂😂

Any speculators?
Kneedeep

Gday kneedeep
Living upto one name I see 😉
Man you know how to get me a ticking
Speculators hmmm
Yep I’ll have a crack yet carls probably got the odds in his favour

First off that 137 hh has demonstrated its unique ability to punch way above its weight across multiple situations with only a couple minor faults that will be explained in the next part

The 154hht yet to be proven but show’s promise on what we’ve learnt it will have the runs on the board once you get to those lower impacts & if any hard mud is present on those hogs you’ll see the evidence pretty quickly on why the hht is superior as that tip preforms well on in hard mud & even trees lol it still shed petals & all straight line after where the hh line is a bit of 50/50
The other position is if it gets frantic & the chance of not looking at the hp meplat due to this from a drop of a pill to cycling issues or anything else Murphy throws @ us that happens in the field from time to time
We could have that nose over that I’d say has shown up on some peoples results

Then add that to the potential mechanical broadhead problems that the hh line can exhibit once those angles are put into play where as the hht seems immune too this

So now we’re left with velocity & shape charge
Can’t remember brads numbers but the 137 will have that just depends on which side of the brackets it falls on
The shapecharge man alive that 137 has a good one so the 154 will need to be good to come close

So I’m hard to shift off knocking that 137 off it’s perch but the new kid on the block is already showing it’s no slouch either on all the preliminary rounds
So I guess it’s down to the grand final with Brad being the umpire & if it’s a draw we play by the rules over here it’s extra time on grand final games or next week it’s on again
So looking forward to seeing what happens
But I do agree it’s easier in the lower velocity range to see & man hope he gets his anal boots on if it’s close

Yep nothing like a Texas shot in Texas right 🤣

My speculation is the 154 yet I’ve not ever shot the pill I just like the theory above of it doing a better job as was kinda explained above I hope

Now go get back in your hole & stop causing problems 😜ahh I know where I could take you that is about kneedeep 🤣

Cheers

Interesting discussion. I've loaded some 154s in 308 and of course the 137. I haven't been out to the range to do any testing yet. If one likes to go by looks, the 154 HHT on top of a 300 RUM looks wicked! Hammer just gives us so many good choices! I'd love to see a HHT in the 125 - 135 grain neighborhood in 308.

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of speculators these days. It could be this new line of pills is too new and too consistent. It could be the 137 has a reputation that no one wants to bet against. That’s why I like this matchup some much.

It could be that no one likes eating crow as much as @Farleg. If he’d post his crow recipes maybe more people would like it. 🤣🤣

Thinking about the old velocity brackets for the HH line and the new velocity brackets for the HHT line, it seems these two pills will be neck and neck under 200 yards. So I feel like the 154HHT could show better performance than the 137HH at distances over 200 yards, really closer to 300 yards. But is it enough of a difference that most hunters would see it or would it take a Farleg type to really know the difference. Time will tell as hunts progress. Keep in mind the tip prevents nose damage. Nose damage to the hollow point can cause a bad or worse than usual outcome when recovering game.

So looking back to my 200 yard and under parameter, I think harper is right on track. As long as Brad doesn’t booger up a 137 HP.

Farleg got me sidetracked for an hour or so while trying write this. I’ll blame him if this doesn’t make sense.

Kneedeep

Gday kneedeep

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of speculators these days. It could be this new line of pills is too new and too consistent. It could be the 137 has a reputation that no one wants to bet against. That’s why I like this matchup some much.

It could be that no one likes eating crow as much as @Farleg. If he’d post his crow recipes maybe more people would like it. 🤣🤣
Crow is easy 🤔😇
open one’s mouth & put a foot in it 😉, then its just add herbs & spices to the mix & eventually you come up with that great recipe
My problem is I forgot to write the recipe down so now it’s foot in mouth all over again & some right some wrong which is cool as by getting it wrong we learn not to do that again 😜well some of us lol

Look here one ea
02FE7BAE-97ED-407D-864F-980B6E82CE34.jpeg& I’ll keep it on ice or a fresh one the choice is yours
Cheers

Thinking about the old velocity brackets for the HH line and the new velocity brackets for the HHT line, it seems these two pills will be neck and neck under 200 yards. So I feel like the 154HHT could show better performance than the 137HH at distances over 200 yards, really closer to 300 yards. But is it enough of a difference that most hunters would see it or would it take a Farleg type to really know the difference. Time will tell as hunts progress. Keep in mind the tip prevents nose damage. Nose damage to the hollow point can cause a bad or worse than usual outcome when recovering game.

So looking back to my 200 yard and under parameter, I think harper is right on track. As long as Brad doesn’t booger up a 137 HP.

Farleg got me sidetracked for an hour or so while trying write this. I’ll blame him if this doesn’t make sense.

Kneedeep
Now the serious stuff

Blame me 😱 I don’t have a sidetrack bone in my body 😉

Carls usually right you just have to learn to stop doubting him lol

Brad not messing up the hp on the 137 he can’t even get the thread posted on the correct day 🤷‍♂️

Love this place
cheers

Maybe we could get the Hammer boys to make a 135 grain HHT in .308! No crow just more pills to buy!
Yes!! Maybe even with an absolute ogive?!?! An extra few hundred fps would be greatly appreciated out of my short barrel 308.

I'm looking forward to @BFD's results. I'm headed to WY on a cow elk hunt today. Will report back about the 125 HHT from my 6.5 PRC (hopefully).

Boots on ground Oct 3. Hit by 3 rolling thunderstorms first evening of arrival. Hail, flash flood, sizzled by lightning trying to fix a flat on ATV. Bait piles washed away. Today is admin day to rebait, restore camp. All is well.😎🤣

Day 1: New bait piles established higher ground. Engineered @kneedeep’s science lab for 600yd hit. 😎 (Pics take to long to upload, but will post upon return)

Mad tracks and game camera footage of monster packs. Stay tuned.

Day 1: New bait piles established higher ground. Engineered @kneedeep’s science lab for 600yd hit. 😎 (Pics take to long to upload, but will post upon return)

Mad tracks and game camera footage of monster packs. Stay tuned.
You’re the best Brad!

I just hope you have a rifle that’s accurate enough to shoot that far. I also know you have some off days shooting every once in a while when all your Bullets don’t go in the same hole.

Seriously though a 600 yard shot on a pig that’s not a very big target and never stands still. Shooting this smallish, moving target in the wind at 600 yards will not be an easy feat. But I have confidence you can get it done.

Best of luck
Kneedeep

Back