.338 Cal-220gr Hammer HHT

Steve Davis

Administrator
Staff member
We didn't have this one quite ready yesterday when I posted the 210gr HHT, or I would have posted them together. We now have the 220gr .338 Cal Hammer HHT ready to go. This one will be the heaviest of the 338 HHT's that will feed out of the factory magazine 338 Winchester Magnums. I personally don't see any reason to go with heavier in a 338 wm, they just get slow with heavier and we don't have bullet integrity problems associated with lead core bullet and high velocity impacts. Penetration isn't an issue with close up shots and the higher impact velocity is much more dramatic than heavy slow bullets. This bullet will also be a great choice for the guys running the bigger 338 magnum rifles for up close to long range. Oh, and notice that great tip color! I am leaving next Saturday for Africa and I intend to be the first to harvest an animal with the new Hammer tip color, unless one of you can beat me to it! Hopefully I will have a chance on Monday the 5th to Hammer one.

This is the one I should have waited on! I am just fine tuning my load with the 236Gr HH in my RUM. I have to proof it, but it looks like it will settle in at 3160ish in R-P brass so I would expect the 220 will walk by the 3,200 mark without stretching primer pockets. Think how fast the new 210 might run...Too many great bullets, not enough tags!

This is the one I should have waited on! I am just fine tuning my load with the 236Gr HH in my RUM. I have to proof it, but it looks like it will settle in at 3160ish in R-P brass so I would expect the 220 will walk by the 3,200 mark without stretching primer pockets. Think how fast the new 210 might run...Too many great bullets, not enough tags!
Boy isn’t that the truth! My gun hunts vicariously through my clients🤣

JesseJ,

What cartridge are you running?
Mr Rich, a few years ago, i overhauled a sendero 338 rum. Ordered a 26” krieger 10 twist, ( heavy varmint I believe) .
The barrel was way faster than it should have been. Shot very good also. I didn’t realize what a special barrel it was at the time. 210 Scirocco II’s is what it really shined with. My interest moved on, and with a wild hair, one day with very little planning I took the rifle to a local smith, and talked him into turning the barrel down to a sporter contour. I still ask myself why.

Anyway, I never shot it again. Still have it in the safe. And don’t expect it to shoot like it did before, but we will see how fast we can push the 210 HHTs.
I know that’s a long answer to you question, but I felt like i needed to explain a little to why we probably won’t get great groups now.

For those considering and comparing the 210hht to the 220hht, here’s a visual.
IMG_5578.jpeg
Above on the left is the 220hht and the 210hht on the right.

The on game testing of the 210 HHT was outstanding imo. The best one I’ve seen to date. I haven’t tested the 220hht but the proportions look good.

One important thing to note is the bearing surface of the 220 looks to be identical in length to the 210. The difference is the pdr spacing. With the bearing surface appearing to be the same length, I’d expect the 220 to get better velocity per weight over the 210. I should be able to compare the two pills tomorrow. So we’ll see if my prediction is correct.

The weight difference between the two pills appears to be in the boat tail. More to come.

Kneedeep

I continue to wonder why? What will a 210 do that the 220 won't do and visa-versa? Does one solve an issue that the other doesn't? How nuanced do we need to be in the bullets we use to harvest animals ethically?

I continue to wonder why? What will a 210 do that the 220 won't do and visa-versa? Does one solve an issue that the other doesn't? How nuanced do we need to be in the bullets we use to harvest animals ethically?
If we did one without the other we would get calls requesting the missing weight. Some guys can't kill an elk with a 210gr pill because it isn't heavy enough. Or brown bear or moose or white tail, etc. Nothing wrong with personal preference.

For those considering and comparing the 210hht to the 220hht, here’s a visual.
View attachment 6946
Above on the left is the 220hht and the 210hht on the right.

The on game testing of the 210 HHT was outstanding imo. The best one I’ve seen to date. I haven’t tested the 220hht but the proportions look good.

One important thing to note is the bearing surface of the 220 looks to be identical in length to the 210. The difference is the pdr spacing. With the bearing surface appearing to be the same length, I’d expect the 220 to get better velocity per weight over the 210. I should be able to compare the two pills tomorrow. So we’ll see if my prediction is correct.

The weight difference between the two pills appears to be in the boat tail. More to come.

Kneedeep
Whited out secrets don't make friends...

Whited out secrets don't make friends...
😁 I think it’s good that particular pill wasn’t put on the market yet. It’s proportionally balanced well but I feel like it’s on the line of getting too light for that particular design and caliber. I think we’ll know something soon. I feel like it may be a candidate for a profile change for more reliable performance. Testing will make the decision in the end.

Now that Steve and Brian have the tips, you’ll be seeing more HHTs coming to market.

Btw, Joe will tell you I’m not that friendly away 😏
Kneedeep

Mr Rich, a few years ago, i overhauled a sendero 338 rum. Ordered a 26” krieger 10 twist, ( heavy varmint I believe) .
The barrel was way faster than it should have been. Shot very good also. I didn’t realize what a special barrel it was at the time. 210 Scirocco II’s is what it really shined with. My interest moved on, and with a wild hair, one day with very little planning I took the rifle to a local smith, and talked him into turning the barrel down to a sporter contour. I still ask myself why.

Anyway, I never shot it again. Still have it in the safe. And don’t expect it to shoot like it did before, but we will see how fast we can push the 210 HHTs.
I know that’s a long answer to you question, but I felt like i needed to explain a little to why we probably won’t get great groups now.

Some times making a short story long is more fun for use readers. Thanks.

Back