350 Legend Load Development, Crimping?

Hello all!
just this past weekend put a kill under the CVA’s belt. Every day I have had to gun hunt has been spent trying to get a deer for my grandpa. He’s 93 and now legally blind. So this is our set up.
IMG_3187.jpeg
IMG_3182.png
I set the gun between us in the blind with him manning the trigger and me putting the rifle on target and calling squeeze.
We did a bunch of dry fire practice on birds at the feeder from his living room and the method proved out to be pretty smooth on Saturday evening.
IMG_3238.jpeg
Shot was 133 yards and slightly quartering away. Bullet struck a touch higher than I wanted but still tore the top off both lungs. It broke two ribs on entry and one on the exit side (I could feel when field dressing) but did not locate an exit. I suspect the bullet is under the skin on the off side. I will know for sure after I have skinned and processed. Likely Friday evening. As I like to age my deer 6-7 days when possible.

The doe dropped as if she was hit by lightning. I hadn’t seen gramps that happy in a long time. Thanks to the folks at Hammer for putting out a great product! And, many thanks to ya’ll on hammertime for the quick replies and savvy advice!!

OH….

IMG_3245.jpegIMG_3246.jpegIMG_3247.jpegWell I was able to recover the bullet and one petal during butchering.IMG_3252.jpeg
The shot in fact did not break a rib on the off side. What I was feeling during field dressing was a split vertebrae. So the bullet broke two ribs on entry passed under the loin bisected the spine/back bone at the neck chest junction boring a nice .355 dia hole through a vertebrae and lodging in the neck muscle just under the skin.

View attachment 4760View attachment 4761View attachment 4763Well I was able to recover the bullet and one petal during butchering.View attachment 4758
The shot in fact did not break a rib on the off side. What I was feeling during field dressing was a split vertebrae. So the bullet broke two ribs on entry passed under the loin bisected the spine/back bone at the neck chest junction boring a nice .355 dia hole through a vertebrae and lodging in the neck muscle just under the skin.
OMFG! I figured the 125SH would be the bullet for 350L, but lawrt! I think I will revisit my 16" 350L AR15! For hogs though.
When I shot hogs with the 350L 160gr Win powermax bonded it was terrible pencil holes and hogs ran way to far. (80yds +)
Lost a buck shot at 15yds. No blood at the shot spot, and only a little starting at about 40yds, lasted 15yds and that was it. I suspect it slid through above shoulder and under spine and had poor bubble and zero expansion to disrupt the CNS.
With 16" barrel I won't expect results like this, but I am sure the terminal ballistics will be like a regular excellent performing Hammer within 25- 150yds. (Canyon buster)

OMFG! I figured the 125SH would be the bullet for 350L, but lawrt! I think I will revisit my 16" 350L AR15! For hogs though.
When I shot hogs with the 350L 160gr Win powermax bonded it was terrible pencil holes and hogs ran way to far. (80yds +)
Lost a buck shot at 15yds. No blood at the shot spot, and only a little starting at about 40yds, lasted 15yds and that was it. I suspect it slid through above shoulder and under spine and had poor bubble and zero expansion to disrupt the CNS.
With 16" barrel I won't expect results like this, but I am sure the terminal ballistics will be like a regular excellent performing Hammer within 25- 150yds. (Canyon buster)
That’s was about my experience with the 350 before dropping weight and going with the hammer. It’s been pretty impressive since the switch.

What a great experience and thanks for the report. Is the right side wound in your picture the entry or exit?

It definitely cut a hole there.
Kneedeep
That is the entry side. Exaggerated by the hard raking quartering away shot. Don’t believe that damage would have occurred with a flat broadside shot.

This is a sample size of one, so I haven’t passed judgement yet. But, I will be buying another box of 50. Run this bullet as fast as you can safely push it with acceptable accuracy and I believe it will perform very well.

That’s was about my experience with the 350 before dropping weight and going with the hammer. It’s been pretty impressive since the switch.
I’m getting really giddy now! I’ll have to re-read the crimping advice. My 350L AR barrel is a laserbeam. Not sure how familiar you are with metal migration at the gas ports of AR barrels, but I know the lack of migration is key to the precision potential. Bore scoped the 350L upper and…
IMG_2293.jpeg
Zero metal clumps/copper lumps! They even drilled it half way in a land. That’s bad form, but only the high dollar barrels fit them between lands. There’s over 100rnds on this too.
Here’s a 5rnd 50yd group with a Holosun red dot. The 160gr Winxjunk, but anyway:
IMG_4335.jpeg
IMG_4573.jpeg

@BFD , what do you think of the dot and magnifier combo? I was given a Sig Romeo and thinking about adding a 4x Juliet to it.

@BFD , what do you think of the dot and magnifier combo? I was given a Sig Romeo and thinking about adding a 4x Juliet to it.
I love it, have a few combos. The magnifier glass looks like it was made by Swarovski. This rifle and combo took a hop out the gator at 25-30mph when I hit a washout rut at 2am. I saw it bounce and roll down the gravel road in the rear view and spotlight. I knew I had to re-zero before putting it back in action the next day. It didn't change a click!

Crimp is kinda the same on all mine. I go a bit past the Lee collet die says to start. Think it’s half turn past hitting ram. I go 5/8 to 3/4 and call it. Just making sure it can’t slide forward or back

Reactions: BFD
View attachment 4760View attachment 4761View attachment 4763Well I was able to recover the bullet and one petal during butchering.View attachment 4758
Major wound for such a small bullet-I can't wait to see how these perform next season (assuming I get them to group well). Just about to begin making rounds now, as soon as I decide on what powder/charge to use.

Back