6.5-284 Norma 85gr Hammer Load

Mr6.5

Guys I cannot find any load data for the 6.5x284 using a 85gr Hammer. Doing some looking around I think Reloader 16 starting at about 52gr would be a safe place? Thoughts?

6.5/06AI is a good load to follow. Top end may be a bit high but starting loads should be very similar. H 100V got 4012 in the Ackley. H4350 was a bit slower in velocity when pressuring out. RL 16 may be just a bit fast for burn rate. Use a slightly slower powder and take advantage of your case volume. jm2cw ;)

Ramshot would be cool but the starting load for 85gr is already MAX case capacity, So I decided to go with Accurate 4350 as I have a couple pounds and use it in nothing I shoot. I started at 52gr and loaded to 59gr (as much as the case would hold). I will start shooting and examine each case until I see pressure and then back off and start looking for an accuracy node. Assuming there is an accuracy node with Accurate 4350, never cared much for that powder. I already have a 6.5-284 one hole shooter load N165 and 142gr Bondstrike I just want to see how fast I can push the cartridge. This is one of those just because I can and for fun. If it works out I will hunt with it, otherwise back to the old reliable. I really like speed and my max shooting distance when hunting is 300yards so the 85gr hammer would be wicked. I did put a nice crimp on them also. The deer here do not get over 220lbs and average 110 to 160 usually, smaller white tail in SC.

I have been playing around a lot with overbore stuff, I have my .300wsm shooting 110gr bullet at 3800fps accurately. I would never use these light for caliber bullets at anything over 300 yards as I know the energy would drop quickly after that.

I got an idea the other day to maybe see what the 85gr Hammer will do in my 6.5-300 WBY Mag, Maybe that is next LOL!

I know you guys are thinking, man you are going to burn out barrel throats but honestly I have a machine shop and reamers, I can quickly cut them back and cut a new throat IF the need ever arises, probably wont though, I develop loads and then just use them for hunting so most will never see 1000 rounds.

Last edited:
Mr6.5,
I got a super load with the 118 HT with 54g of RL16 in my 6.5x284 but I've never tried the 85g.
I've shot the 85 in my Creedmoor at near 3500fps so I know you can scream it in that 284!
I'm very interested in what you come up with. It sounds fun!
I got a stiff bolt with 55g with the 118, so 59g sounds dangerous, but I'm sure you know what you are doing.
Please report your results.

Mr6.5,
I got a super load with the 118 HT with 54g of RL16 in my 6.5x284 but I've never tried the 85g.
I've shot the 85 in my Creedmoor at near 3500fps so I know you can scream it in that 284!
I'm very interested in what you come up with. It sounds fun!
I got a stiff bolt with 55g with the 118, so 59g sounds dangerous, but I'm sure you know what you are doing.
Please report your results.
I am going to start at 52 and work up carefully! Assuming I ever get time to get to the range :( What kind of speed are you getting out of that 118gr? Thanks! I also worked up a Creedmoor with the 85 awhile back, screamer and one hole shooter.

I am going to start at 52 and work up carefully! Assuming I ever get time to get to the range :( What kind of speed are you getting out of that 118gr? Thanks! I also worked up a Creedmoor with the 85 awhile back, screamer and one hole shooter.
I just looked and I got 3430 with 54g(slight ejector mark) and 3480 with 54.7 where I stopped with a stiff bolt lift. That's with a 24" 1:8 barrel.
My screaming Creednoor with the 85s was also a shooter.
Good luck on finding range time because I really want to hear your results.

RANGE REPORT (Finally)

Rifle - Fully Custom Savage Axis with 1:8 twist EABCO 26" barrel.
Powder - RAMSHOT BIGGAME
Peterson Brass
Primers CCI #200
COAL - 2.760
Heavy Crimp (Lee crimp die)

I only loaded ONE of each round, this was pressure testing, not grouping, group test will be next, I needed to know what I was working with first.

Caldwell Crono (POS)

52gr - 3020fps NO PRESSURE Signs
53gr - 3098fps NO PRESSURE Signs
54gr - Crono ERROR NO PRESSURE Signs
55gr - Crono ERROR NO PRESSURE Signs
56gr - 3484fps NO PRESSURE Signs
57gr - 3555fps NO PRESSURE Signs
58gr - 3433fps NO PRESSURE Signs
59gr - 3431fps NO PRESSURE Signs

Interesting results, I only loaded to 59gr but never hit pressure. The speed started dropping off after 57gr, that was interesting and I have to think about it, does not make since to me... Also these numbers in no way correlate to the Hammer Load data, another interesting thing...

Last edited:
When you start to flatten out or lose speed, you have probably reached maximum in burn efficiency with that powder in your case.

Your best option is to go to a slightly faster powder - or try magnum primers for better (?) Ignition. If you try magnum primers, start over and work up again.

Did your es/sd also start to get wonky on the upper end (radically different impacts on the target)?

When you start to flatten out or lose speed, you have probably reached maximum in burn efficiency with that powder in your case.

Your best option is to go to a slightly faster powder - or try magnum primers for better (?) Ignition. If you try magnum primers, start over and work up again.

Did your es/sd also start to get wonky on the upper end (radically different impacts on the target)?
I did not even look at the es/sd but I did not really see any radical impact pattern, most just vertical changes.

I "feel" like there is so much more to gain in speed here, I need to figure out a powder to reach it.

*** I am somewhat disturbed by the large deviation in the Hammer load data section, it says 52gr 3400fps start with Big Game, I saw 3000fps at 52, maybe I am reading the Hammer load data wrong?

So powder options, maybe VARGET with a MAG Primer? CFE 223? or perhaps 748?

I’m betting you saw that Creedmore thread and started thinking the same as me. That’s plenty of bullet for deer, why not see if it can get close to 4k. My gut was Varget, but that might be because I have enough on hand to tinker. I think there is a “pony in the room” for the 6.5x284 getting close to 4k.

I’m betting you saw that Creedmore thread and started thinking the same as me. That’s plenty of bullet for deer, why not see if it can get close to 4k. My gut was Varget, but that might be because I have enough on hand to tinker. I think there is a “pony in the room” for the 6.5x284 getting close to 4k.
Yeah running the numbers I think Varget and a magnum primer may be the ticket. I will work up another ladder and report back next time I get out there.

Changed my mind and decided to go with CFE-223 powder and Rem 9 1/2 Magnum primers. Started at 52gr and loaded to 62gr. I will work the ladder slow, I figure I will hit pressure way before 62gr but one never knows. 62gr filled the case to the base of the neck but still not a compressed charge with these bullets. I am looking for 3800+ by the time I am done, should be doable.

Changed my mind and decided to go with CFE-223 powder and Rem 9 1/2 Magnum primers. Started at 52gr and loaded to 62gr. I will work the ladder slow, I figure I will hit pressure way before 62gr but one never knows. 62gr filled the case to the base of the neck but still not a compressed charge with these bullets. I am looking for 3800+ by the time I am done, should be doable.
Now I’m really watching this thread. I came across 3lbs of CFE-223 the other day. I had no clue how/if I’d ever use it, but here it sits. Thanks for taking the plunge @Mr6.5

Back