6.5 Swede, or something else?

Makoman

Hello, I'm going to be reloading for the first time pretty soon. I purchased a Lee Turret press kit. Should be here around the 20th. Anyhow, I presently own only one hunting rifle, an FN production Winchester Model 70 EW in 6.5 CM. I've always been very enamoured with the 6.5 Swede. When I was looking for a hunting rifle, I was dead set on getting a rifle chambered for that round, but as I started doing more and more research, I was finding that ammo was really difficult to find, and usually not on the cheap side. I also live in a lead ban state, so that made finding ammo specifically for hunting difficult still. I didn't reload at that time and stumbled upon the 6.5 CM. I figured why not? Similar ballistics, and you can find ammo anywhere.

Well, fast forward to tthe present, I have a reloading press on the way. I also am looking at getting another rifle. Don't need one really, mine pretty much fills all my hunting needs, but I want one (always room for one more right?). Question is, what caliber? I'm still enamoured with the Swede, so I'm debating on whether or not I should get a rifle chambered for it. Do you think it's too similar to the Creedmoor performance wise? Should I look at something else? Maybe something chambered in .30-06?

I woulndn't mind a 7x57 mauser, but I can't seem to find any manufacturer out there that makes a rifle chambered for it. I am finding rifles chamered for 8x57 though. I have a weird liking for metric calibers for some reason. Anyway, I'm babbling now. I know I'm going to get a lot of differing opinions and ideas on this, but I think that's half the fun of forums like this one.

So, Should I go for a Swede, or somethig else?

A Sweed will make you never want to touch your Creed again!

...I'm only kidding - those M70EW's are great rifles. Well balanced and well put together.

If you like the Sweed, perhaps consider a differentf style than what you have. Maybe a long heavy barrel for target work like a Tikka Varmint or SPORTER. Maybe something in a chassis like a Ruger Precision Rifle

There is something to be said for simplicity. If you stick with 6.5mm, that will streamline components somewhat - not just projectiles, but cleaning brushes and jags. It all adds up.

Personally, my advice would be to hold off on scratching the 'new gun' itch. Equip yourself for reloading, and get familiar the process. You will spend more than you think ($$) and learn a great deal along the way. That experience can help best inform the next step on the path.

Ultimately though, it's your ride, don't let anyone dictate what you should or should not do!!

The 7x57 is a true classic, but check out the 7x64 too - doesn't get a lot of press in the US, but has quite a following in other parts of the world!

Hello, I'm going to be reloading for the first time pretty soon. I purchased a Lee Turret press kit. Should be here around the 20th. Anyhow, I presently own only one hunting rifle, an FN production Winchester Model 70 EW in 6.5 CM. I've always been very enamoured with the 6.5 Swede. When I was looking for a hunting rifle, I was dead set on getting a rifle chambered for that round, but as I started doing more and more research, I was finding that ammo was really difficult to find, and usually not on the cheap side. I also live in a lead ban state, so that made finding ammo specifically for hunting difficult still. I didn't reload at that time and stumbled upon the 6.5 CM. I figured why not? Similar ballistics, and you can find ammo anywhere.

Well, fast forward to tthe present, I have a reloading press on the way. I also am looking at getting another rifle. Don't need one really, mine pretty much fills all my hunting needs, but I want one (always room for one more right?). Question is, what caliber? I'm still enamoured with the Swede, so I'm debating on whether or not I should get a rifle chambered for it. Do you think it's too similar to the Creedmoor performance wise? Should I look at something else? Maybe something chambered in .30-06?

I woulndn't mind a 7x57 mauser, but I can't seem to find any manufacturer out there that makes a rifle chambered for it. I am finding rifles chamered for 8x57 though. I have a weird liking for metric calibers for some reason. Anyway, I'm babbling now. I know I'm going to get a lot of differing opinions and ideas on this, but I think that's half the fun of forums like this one.

So, Should I go for a Swede, or somethig else?
I agree with Hand Skills I would spend more time learning all the little tricks of hand loading ammo before getting a new rifle as much as I hate to say it the 6.5 creedmoore is a nice round to learn on as it's easy on the pocket book. If you want something In 7mm you could also check out the 7-08 it would be easier to find ammo/brass for.

@Makoman I do not disagree with anything hand skills or Jemurr3 said. But here is another perspective:
Based on a conversation with my grandfather years ago, I became enamored with the 7x57. After he passed, I ended up with his Mauser only to realize that it was too old for me to trust it as a regular shooter with hand loads. (It’s a Chilean 1895 model). So I built one.
The thought was intimidating at first, but trust me: it is not hard. Piggybacking on what hand skills mentioned, if you decide to build, it will cost more money because of a few tools you’ll need depending on how you want to mate action and barrel and you’ll need head space gauges. But if you go that route, you’ll have something for which your affection will far exceed any factory rifle.

There is no shame if you decide against building. Check out gunbroker. I recall seeing several Ruger’s in 7mm Mauser before I decided to build.

Or if you go for the Swede, you’ll like that, too! The more you learn where to look, the easier it will become to find—or how to form—brass for odd chamberings.
The 7mm-08 Jemurr3 mentioned is also sweet. (Pun intended).

I've wrangled thru the calibers list many, many times myself.....and ended up with several safes full of rifles. I've now come to the conclusion, for myself and my needs anyway, that 3 calibers will cover me for anything I want to do on this continent: 25-06, 30-06, and 35 Whelen.

Granted, I really like(d) my 223, 257 Roberts, 6.5 CM, 6mm Remington, 270 WSM, 308, 338 Federal, 30-30, 45-70, 458 SOCOM....but they have become more of a distraction really. Just my $0.02 worth.....

I've wrangled thru the calibers list many, many times myself.....and ended up with several safes full of rifles. I've now come to the conclusion, for myself and my needs anyway, that 3 calibers will cover me for anything I want to do on this continent: 25-06, 30-06, and 35 Whelen.

Granted, I really like(d) my 223, 257 Roberts, 6.5 CM, 6mm Remington, 270 WSM, 308, 338 Federal, 30-30, 45-70, 458 SOCOM....but they have become more of a distraction really. Just my $0.02 worth.....

My plan is to end up at: 20 Practical, 6.5x47L, and 280 AI…🤷🏻🤘

Hello, I'm going to be reloading for the first time pretty soon. I purchased a Lee Turret press kit. Should be here around the 20th. Anyhow, I presently own only one hunting rifle, an FN production Winchester Model 70 EW in 6.5 CM. I've always been very enamoured with the 6.5 Swede.

The 6.5x55 is for all intents and purposes the ballistic twin of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Except it's cooler

Just as easy to load for

And it's been around since 1891

JM2c

Did I mention it's cool?

Contrary to what BBean says, the 6.5 is a wonderful caliber! Years ago, building my first rifle, I looked at the caliber (260 Rem). Only problem in the 70s was a severe lack of bullet weight choices. Today, with modern powders and a huge array of bullets it's a wonderful world😛. Now I've gone nuts with the caliber (and considering building another one)

The 6.5x55 is for all intents and purposes the ballistic twin of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Except it's cooler

Just as easy to load for

And it's been around since 1891

JM2c

Did I mention it's cool?

For me, that’s a big part of it. I’ve always been a bit of a history buff, and the fact that this cartridge is almost 130 years old, and has such a rich military and hunting history behind it is a big part of the attraction.

Last edited:
For me, that’s a big part of it. I’ve always been a bit of a history buff, and the fact that this cartridge is almost 130 years old, has such a history behind it is a big part of the attraction.
Build yourself something modern with a 6.5X55 custom reamer and have both new and old world.

Could do something like a wrought iron twisted barrel from LRI.

Back