6.5 Swede, or something else?

First don't let us spend your money!šŸ˜! 6.5 Swede is prob ONLY 6.5 I would own. The 7x57 is really nice traditional but if looking at 7MM, the .280AI is impossible to beat! The .280AI can do pretty much everything for North America except for big bad bears. And this is coming from Mr. .270Win.

Makoman - I agree with the history. If you look at my Avitar, that is the action of my Danish Rolling Block built in 1883. It shoots an 11.7mm x 56mm round. My great grandpa used one in the Boar Wars to earn his ticket to the United States.

Is that a Kropatschek rifle? I take it your great grand pappy fought on the side of Transvaal and the Orange Free State? Very cool family history.

I love my 1899 model 96.
Me too! I've had several over the years, most were sporterized. I found this 1899 vintage original a handful of years ago. It's one of my favorites and will still shoot sub moa with my tired old eyes. It was drilled and tapped for the receiver sight so the search began. Took a long time but I finally found one in Sweden. I hope the minister of finance never finds out what I paid for it :oops:

I've always planned to build a modern version but somehow never get to it.

6.5 swede.jpg

I have recently procured and have fallen in love with a Blaser K95 in 6.5x55 Swede. The rifle with scope and mount weighs seven pounds and is a *****-cat to shoot. The rifle is also a good shooter. The only draw back with the caliber, along with a good many calibers is the twist rate.
My 6.5x55 is 8.66ā€. I think that twist rate is pretty much standard for that caliber. I am shooting 121gr Hammer bullets in it. There are several Hammer bullets I would llike to try but they require faster twist rates. Itā€™s a shame that todays rifle manufacturers donā€™t upgrade there twist rates to accommodate the newer modern bullets.

if I was looking to go to a swede I would look for a rifle with a full stock as it will look European to go with the cartridge
Agreed. I'm looking at the Tikka T3x hunter with stainless hardware and wood stock. I wouldn't mind the new Sako 90 either, but that one is going to be a bit spendy.

My first rifle was a 6.5x55 built on a Zastava action, I need to get out and try the 97g AH that I have sitting here for it! Itā€™s a Sweet cartridge and with handloads you will easily exceed creedmoor velocities though it is certainly a similar cartridge

I also love the 7x57, theyā€™re classic and just very pleasant to use, very versatile too. Depending on your average shot distance and the game youā€™re targeting the 8x57 is also a fine cartridge

The K95 is a beautiful rifle! I looked very seriously at them but ended up with a Merkel K4 which is similar and it is easily my favourite rifle! So light and compact! Mine is a 9.3x74 which I love but I have always thought a nice single shot 7x65 would be about as good as it gets!!

I think the advice about a different style of rifle is good given the similarity of the two cartridges if you do go the 6.5x55 route. I have 3 rifles in 8x57 but they are all completely different, one is a 1941 k98, one is a side by side double and the third is an over under combination gun. despite all being the same cartridge they each have a different purpose and a different appeal!

I like modern cartridges and I like modern actions, stocks etc. but nothing quite does it like a classic rifle with beautiful walnut and a classic cartridge all made even better now with hammer bullets!

Agreed. I'm looking at the Tikka T3x hunter with stainless hardware and wood stock. I wouldn't mind the new Sako 90 either, but that one is going to be a bit spendy.

I would go with the Tikka, myself. There is a growing niche of aftermarket support for ALL kinds of parts - triggers, stocks, magazines, bottom metals, bolt shrouds, bolt handles...

They are a great platform to play around with. Prefit barrels are available, meaning that I can order a barrel that has already been chambered, and spin it onto the action myself. It's GUARANTEED to headspace correctly. Tikkas are THAT consistent! Currently I have one of each; small bolt face (.223rem), standard bolt face (6mm creed), and magnum boltface (270wsm), but with basic tools (vice and torque wrench) they can be anything I want them to be.

That, or be patient and find a good quality, good condition 100yr old Mauser - that handmade stuff has character and you can feel the history!

(I like pre '64 Model 70's a LOT too)

Last edited:
Me too! I've had several over the years, most were sporterized. I found this 1899 vintage original a handful of years ago. It's one of my favorites and will still shoot sub moa with my tired old eyes. It was drilled and tapped for the receiver sight so the search began. Took a long time but I finally found one in Sweden. I hope the minister of finance never finds out what I paid for it :oops:

I've always planned to build a modern version but somehow never get to it.

View attachment 1537
Model 98 1917 matching serial number on the left

model 96 1899 bastard that I had reblued and I did the wood.

Love my old Mausers. I actually I gave these two to my twin grandchildren, they just don't know it yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614_190056_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_190056_Photos.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 3
I would go with the Tikka, myself. There is a growing niche of aftermarket support for ALL kinds of parts - triggers, stocks, magazines, bottom metals, bolt shrouds, bolt handles...

They are a great platform to play around with, and Prefit barrels are available, meaning that you can order a barrel already chambered, and it's GUARANTEED to headspace on your action. Tikkas are THAT consistent!

That, or be patient and find a good quality, good condition 100yr old Mauser - that handmade stuff has character and you can feel the history!

(I like pre '64 Model 70's a LOT too)
Iā€™ve been leaning toward Tikka for the very reasons you mention. Itā€™s quickly becoming the ā€œARā€ of the bolt action world. All that ā€œplug and playā€ ability is extremely appealing.

Iā€™m a huge fan of the model 70 as well. My only hunting rifle is an FN production M70 extreme weather in 6.5 CM. I would love one in 6.5 Swede. Apparently, Winchester has made them in the past. My only concern though, and I donā€™t know if this is true of Winchester as well, is that American rifles chambered in the Swede oftentimes donā€™t have the correct bolt face dimensions for the Swede. They use .30-06/.308 bolt face dimensions that can cause feeding issues with some types of brass.

My understanding is that unless you are trying to use Military ammo, you'll be fine.

Just be conscious of what brass you are using. Lapua, for example, makes some great brass for the 6.5x55 that feeds fine on a standard boltface.

I've thought about doing a 6.5x55 AI (mainly so I could call it my Swedemore), but for that performance bracket the 6.5-284 just seems more practical.

Last edited:
My plan is to end up at: 20 Practical, 6.5x47L, and 280 AIā€¦šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€šŸ¤˜
Dang, LTT, you and I had similar thoughts on covering the bases. I went 20 Practical (Howa Mini action), 260 Rem (Tikka action), and waiting on the 280AI (Tikka action). (y)

Makoman, have you been able to locate a Tikka in 6.5 Swede? I failed at locating that exact rifle (stainless & wood furniture) 2 years ago, so I settled on the 260 Rem. UPDATE: I was able to find the Tikka 6.5x55 in stock at Europtic. It's also an 8 twist!

Last edited:
Dang, LTT, you and I had similar thoughts on covering the bases. I went 20 Practical (Howa Mini action), 260 Rem (Tikka action), and waiting on the 280AI (Tikka action). (y)

Makoman, have you been able to locate a Tikka in 6.5 Swede? I failed at locating that exact rifle (stainless & wood furniture) 2 years ago, so I settled on the 260 Rem. UPDATE: I was able to find the Tikka 6.5x55 in stock at Europtic. It's also an 8 twist!
Great mindsā€¦!šŸ˜¬ I expect the 20 and 6.5 will get built on Howa actions. I just think the quality is way above the price! Iā€™ll probably just turn my Browning 280 into an AI, especially if anything can be done to make the trigger better. šŸ¤˜

Well, I did it. I gave in to the History nerd inside me and purchased a T3x hunter in 6.5 Swede. It's the model with stainless hardware and walnut stock. Can't wait to get it. Almost waited too long. They were avalable on Gallery of Guns the last few weeks and suddenly, when I looked yesterday, they were gone, the stainless ones anyway. Today, the blued version is sold out as well. Fortunately a couple other FFL's had them in stock so I ordered before it was completely too late. I'm learning that if you want a current production rifle in a rare caliber, you better strike while the iron's hot!

Now to order dies and bullets. Leaning toward the 130gr Shock Hammers.

Back