6.5 Swede, or something else?

Well, I did it. I gave in to the History nerd inside me and purchased a T3x hunter in 6.5 Swede. It's the model with stainless hardware and walnut stock. Can't wait to get it. Almost waited too long. They were avalable on Gallery of Guns the last few weeks and suddenly, when I looked yesterday, they were gone, the stainless ones anyway. Today, the blued version is sold out as well. Fortunately a couple other FFL's had them in stock so I ordered before it was completely too late. I'm learning that if you want a current production rifle in a rare caliber, you better strike while the iron's hot!

Now to order dies and bullets. Leaning toward the 130gr Shock Hammers.
what are you planning on hunting with it? if only deer sized game the 110HH is a wicked pill in that case capacity.

The new 118HHT would also be a good bullet. I am still developing loads but I have been able to get it over 3k in a 260rem with no pressure signs the swede should have more case capacity and with a modern action you could get better results than I am able to with my shorter case. Speed Kills.

If your looking at the sh line, don't overlook the 117sh. Worthy pill for your needs. Added velocity over your 130sh.
I used it on a deer with 30+" of penetration on frontal shoot at 300yrds.
Found it shank in rear ham. This with a CM @2950mv
But the recommendation so far has been spot on.
We are so lucky to have all the options that we do.
Good luck.

Well, I did it. I gave in to the History nerd inside me and purchased a T3x hunter in 6.5 Swede. It's the model with stainless hardware and walnut stock. Can't wait to get it. Almost waited too long. They were avalable on Gallery of Guns the last few weeks and suddenly, when I looked yesterday, they were gone, the stainless ones anyway. Today, the blued version is sold out as well. Fortunately a couple other FFL's had them in stock so I ordered before it was completely too late. I'm learning that if you want a current production rifle in a rare caliber, you better strike while the iron's hot!

That's gonna be a sweet rig there Makoman! Congrats and have fun with load development. Can't wait to see how it turns out for ya.

Chungus

The 110HH would serve you well on that size game. The 130SH is a long bullet and would eat into your case capacity. Copper bullets have to go longer in order to get the weight.
I've been debating on going lighter. Generally, I'm a bigger proponent of the lighter faster school of thought. I'm new to reloading. Just started reloading my first batch of 6.5 CM with some 127 gr LRX bullets I had purchased a while back. I was using Barnes TTSX 120 gr factory ammo before. I was thinking of a heavier, slower bullet because I don't want to have a barrel burner load, or am I thinking too much into it?

The big problem for me is, all the load data out there for copper ammo tends to be only for 120 gr pills, as those seem to be pretty much the standard weight for lead free 6.5. Barnes has a 130 gr TSX bullet, and load data for it, but the velocities seem a little wattered down, probably for surplus Mauser rifles. My Nosler manual has load data for 130 gr lead using W760 and H4350 with velocities that seem on par for moden actions, so I was thinking of starting there for load data, starting low and working my way up of course. My twist rate is 1:8, by the way. 130 shock hammers appear to need minimum of 1:8.75, so I should be fine.

You really have me thinking though on the 110's though. Can I ask what you're referencing for your load data? My Nosler manual doesn't have any data for 110 gr loads. They start with 100, and jump to 120. Lee manual has data for 107 and 108 grain, then jumps to 120. Hodgdon seems to have some good data for a 110 gr load using H4350, but I'd like to have more than one frame of reference.

Last edited:
Makoman - There is a lot of good data for the 6.5 CM and the lighter bullets on the Forum. You can push the 85 grain zoomie to close to 3,700fps. Check out the reloading section here on Hammer Time for lots of good Data. Second, H4350 is way to slow with Hammers and the 6.5 CM. Varget is a very versatile powder in the CM. It takes some time to get your head around light and fast bullets are devastating game.

You really have me thinking though on the 110's though. Can I ask what you're referencing for your load data? My Nosler manual doesn't have any data for 110 gr loads. They start with 100, and jump to 120. Lee manual has data for 107 and 108 grain, then jumps to 120. Hodgdon seems to have some good data for a 110 gr load using H4350, but I'd like to have more than one frame of reference.
I used load data for a 120gr. Bullet but started on the higher end and just worked up slowly my load is in the reloading data here.

Here’s the link to user data for Hunters. There is also a database for Absolutes and the new HHTs.

I am so excited for you, you sound as if it's Christmas morning.

My 6'5x55 is a safe Queen, the last two times I've touched her was with an oily rag.

This place is awesome.

Congratulations on the Swede! Why such a heavy bullet? You ought to also look at the free VihtaVouri loading data as a starting point. The more VV powders I've been trying the more I like it. They have a listing for the 85 grain Sierra going 3323 out of the Swede. It is just my opinion, but I wouldn't go heavier than the new 118 HHT in the Swede. Leave the 130 for the Weatherby RPM class cartridges. It is hard to get one's head around the different way that Hammer's kill. Farleg has done extensive testing as well as many others on the devastation that light and fast can kill. I would steer you to GL Taylor's Thread, "Official Hammer Bullet Terminal Performance (Picture Heavy)". That all said, it is your choice. I have a T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. My last word of advice, is Tikka ships their guns with a very dirty barrel. I highly suggest that you clean the snot out of the barrel before doing your break in. I ran at least 50 patches through mine before it came clean.

Congratulations on the Swede! Why such a heavy bullet? You ought to also look at the free VihtaVouri loading data as a starting point. The more VV powders I've been trying the more I like it. They have a listing for the 85 grain Sierra going 3323 out of the Swede. It is just my opinion, but I wouldn't go heavier than the new 118 HHT in the Swede. Leave the 130 for the Weatherby RPM class cartridges. It is hard to get one's head around the different way that Hammer's kill. Farleg has done extensive testing as well as many others on the devastation that light and fast can kill. I would steer you to GL Taylor's Thread, "Official Hammer Bullet Terminal Performance (Picture Heavy)". That all said, it is your choice. I have a T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. My last word of advice, is Tikka ships their guns with a very dirty barrel. I highly suggest that you clean the snot out of the barrel before doing your break in. I ran at least 50 patches through mine before it came clean.

I hear you on the Vihtavouri powders. I've been eyeballing their 6.5x55 SKAN data. The Lee manual also has a lot of data using their powders. I've looked for their powders everywhere around me, also for varget, but no dice. I need to start shopping some prices online. I will also definitely be cleaning the barrel before firing, always do with a new firearm, that's a good, smart practice. I will definitely check out the links you referenced as well. Thanks!

I have had great results with RAMSHOT BIG GAME powder in both my 7-08 with 140gr. Pills and my 260rem with the 110HH and 118HHT. RAMSHOT POWDERS seem to be easier to find and looking at burn rate chart it isn't too far off from varget.

Back