7-08 Alberta moose

Hi all.
This is my first experience with Hammer bullets.
I'm working up loads for an Alberta moose hunt this October. I already have a very accurate load for 139 Interlocks at 2850 fps, and 140 TTSXs at 2920, but looking hard at Hammer 132 HHTs. So far, I'm at 3100 fps with no signs of pressure. I'm thinking I'll continue looking for pressure in 1/2 gr increments, then back off 1gr and look for accuracy.
Looking for experiences from others who may have used 132 HHTs, or even 131 HHs on Canada moose. Thanks

My buddy used my 7 Sherman short to shoot his Idaho shiras moose this last fall with the 131 grain hammer hunter going 3265fps. Shot was a frontal at 367 yards. One shot, the moose dropped in his tracks and never moved. Did not dig for the bullet to see how far it went.

Gday eaglemountainman
Now take a bow sir that is embracing hammers

I’m no help on the hammers & moose as my Canadian one was with a Barnes

But used the 131 on a few different critters & im sure it would do well on a moose
Not used the 132hht but from a position of covering more bases the hht does that over the hh line
Just can’t wait to see how the 7mm hht I’ve got coming turn out so keep us posted please on the rest of your journey

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy used my 7 Sherman short to shoot his Idaho shiras moose this last fall with the 131 grain hammer hunter going 3265fps. Shot was a frontal at 367 yards. One shot, the moose dropped in his tracks and never moved. Did not dig for the bullet to see how far it went.
Ah, the elusive Idaho moose tag! It is nice to see that somebody got one. I'll be applying again this year. My suggestion is to work up a really good accurate load. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can get out in the country and set up some targets, (I use 1 gallon jugs filled with water.) Practice, Practice, Practice. Buy 200 pills and practice with 180 of them. Knowing and feeling confident with your gun is more important than anything else. Last but not least - (One finger pointing at you and 3 back at me!), make sure you are in the best physical shape you can be.

I think either bullet is fine. Looking forward to seeing some nice moose pictures at the end of the year.

Ah, the elusive Idaho moose tag! It is nice to see that somebody got one. I'll be applying again this year. My suggestion is to work up a really good accurate load. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can get out in the country and set up some targets, (I use 1 gallon jugs filled with water.) Practice, Practice, Practice. Buy 200 pills and practice with 180 of them. Knowing and feeling confident with your gun is more important than anything else. Last but not least - (One finger pointing at you and 3 back at me!), make sure you are in the best physical shape you can be.

I think either bullet is fine. Looking forward to seeing some nice moose pictures at the end of the year.
We as a group last year had two Idaho moose tags for the same unit actually. My buddy got one as a nonresident and my Mom got one as a resident.

I already have two good loads worked up to use/choose from, for this hunt. But I have lots of time till this hunt comes off in Oct., and I thought I'd jump in and see what these Hammers are all about.
Good advice about the practice. I shoot every Friday, all year long.

Hi all.
This is my first experience with Hammer bullets.
I'm working up loads for an Alberta moose hunt this October. I already have a very accurate load for 139 Interlocks at 2850 fps, and 140 TTSXs at 2920, but looking hard at Hammer 132 HHTs. So far, I'm at 3100 fps with no signs of pressure. I'm thinking I'll continue looking for pressure in 1/2 gr increments, then back off 1gr and look for accuracy.
Looking for experiences from others who may have used 132 HHTs, or even 131 HHs on Canada moose. Thanks
This is intriguing. Can you provide your recipe and barrel length?

This is intriguing. Can you provide your recipe and barrel length?
Sure.

132 HHT
Virgin Hornady brass
CCI 200
Varget 45.5 3087fps
AOL 2.815 .116 jump
Kimber Classic Select 22"

Steve suggested I start at 40.0 and work towards 45.0, where I should be around 3100 fps. It took me 45.5 to get to 3087. Now, I loaded 4 rnds each at 45.0, 45.5 and 46.0 for Friday's session. Seating at 46.0, I heard some granules crunching, so I called that my max charge...pressure signs or not. I'll shoot one each for velocity, then see what the other 3 can do for groups. Hoping for the magic at 45.0 or 45.5.

Sure.

132 HHT
Virgin Hornady brass
CCI 200
Varget 45.5 3087fps
AOL 2.815 .116 jump
Kimber Classic Select 22"

Steve suggested I start at 40.0 and work towards 45.0, where I should be around 3100 fps. It took me 45.5 to get to 3087. Now, I loaded 4 rnds each at 45.0, 45.5 and 46.0 for Friday's session. Seating at 46.0, I heard some granules crunching, so I called that my max charge...pressure signs or not. I'll shoot one each for velocity, then see what the other 3 can do for groups. Hoping for the magic at 45.0 or 45.5.
Thanks! I take it the magazine restriction is 2.815?

Well, although I had high hopes for these 132 HHTs, my results were less than earth shattering. There were some high points, but not as many as the low points. I might try some 131HHs before I throw in the towel, but to be honest right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the tried and true 120 or 140 TTSXs.

Well, although I had high hopes for these 132 HHTs, my results were less than earth shattering. There were some high points, but not as many as the low points. I might try some 131HHs before I throw in the towel, but to be honest right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the tried and true 120 or 140 TTSXs.
Im curious what was the deciding low point?

You have a 132HHT going 3100 (?), faster than either of your heavier Interlock or TTSX loads, which sounds normal.
Have you compared velocity and energy estimates at the distances you plan to hunt?

Im curious what was the deciding low point?

You have a 132HHT going 3100 (?), faster than either of your heavier Interlock or TTSX loads, which sounds normal.
Have you compared velocity and energy estimates at the distances you plan to hunt?
Yes, they are faster. And yes, I did compare velocity and energy estimates. The HHTs win on both counts. But speed means nothing to me without accuracy, and it just wasn't there for the most part. Wish it was, but 3 charges in .5 gr increments, in two rifles failed to produce any real potential that I could determine.

Yes, they are faster. And yes, I did compare velocity and energy estimates. The HHTs win on both counts. But speed means nothing to me without accuracy, and it just wasn't there for the most part. Wish it was, but 3 charges in .5 gr increments, in two rifles failed to produce any real potential that I could determine.
.116 is quite the jump. How about trying 2.830 before throwing it in?!

This is unique to me because its the first time Ive heard of an accuracy issue with Hammers. In my experience, typically charge weight doesn't affect group size, so if your testing for accuracy with the OCW method using 3 shots each charge, the only difference might be the point of impact between the charge weights.
What was your best 3 shot group size?

.116 is quite the jump. How about trying 2.830 before throwing it in?!
Because at 2.830, as you suggest, the tips would be touching the mag box, not something I want in a hunting rifle. Besides, even with the .015 space, the polymer tips were deforming, presumably under recoil. I've never had that situation with any other poly tipped bullet in any of the chambers I load for.
Apparently, Steve found the .015 acceptable. He reacted with a 👍when I responded to your earlier inquiry.

This is unique to me because its the first time Ive heard of an accuracy issue with Hammers. In my experience, typically charge weight doesn't affect group size, so if your testing for accuracy with the OCW method using 3 shots each charge, the only difference might be the point of impact between the charge weights.
What was your best 3 shot group size?
It might be unique to you, but nevertheless.
Best was just over 1.25"

Best was just over 1.25"
Its also something Ive gathered from people who handload Hammers, but your correct I cant speak for others. I have also had my load development produce 1.25" in a rifle and have not read here how to tune that in. I have read crimping helps but it hasn't in my case.

I think this would be a good chance for the more experienced Hammer handloaders to suggest what is needed to fine tune group size to be more precise?

Best was just over 1.25"
Sorry to hear that, but it happens - every rifle is a little different.

I know Varget perks best a couple grains below max in most .308win's I have loaded for - I don't have any experience with 7-08, so I really shouldn't be giving advice, but I kinda wonder what 43.5gr would do?

Got any imr4895 or h4895?

Back