7-08 Alberta moose

If we can get this to work like we think I am going to kill a nilgai with it in a couple of weeks. I know, here I go shooting notoriously big tough animals with stuff that is considered too small for the job. I was going to be running heavy for cal big cartridges to try and counter the reputation that Hammer is getting. That you have to run Hammers fast. That is not true. You just can run Hammers fast. They don't need extra vel to work very well. But when you have a bullet that can handle the speed, it is hard not to strike them with Hammer lightning!

We have four rifles to develop this week for a hunting trip and two are being donated to Christian Outdoor Alliance. I expect that they will all go smoothly, but there is sure a chance that one of these rifles will be harder than expected. Probably my full custom BeanMore that we will be trying a prototype bullet in!! I am sure that we will try several diff powders to see if one shines above the others, so I am expecting we will shoot it quite a bit. Fingers crossed that we get what we hope with the first powder choice, although I know we will try others just to see.

Because I know someone is going to ask, the prototype is a 105gr AHT.
A .264 105 AHT? Well, well, well, that sounds pretty freakin' awesome!!

That you have to run Hammers fast. That is not true. You just can run Hammers fast. They don't need extra vel to work very well. But when you have a bullet that can handle the speed, it is hard not to strike them with Hammer lightning!
I am having a custom 7 twist quarterbore made right now to run the heavier Hammers, I wont necessarily be pushing for speed but it will be interesting to see what I get. Hopefully you wont put the 257 on the bottom of the list cause of the way Ive been acting here lately 😋

Gday Steve
If we can get this to work like we think I am going to kill a nilgai with it in a couple of weeks. I know, here I go shooting notoriously big tough animals with stuff that is considered too small for the job. I was going to be running heavy for cal big cartridges to try and counter the reputation that Hammer is getting. That you have to run Hammers fast. That is not true. You just can run Hammers fast. They don't need extra vel to work very well. But when you have a bullet that can handle the speed, it is hard not to strike them with Hammer lightning!
I look forward to these results
Pictures of course & oh man I’m going to be quizzing you on this pill 😇

hope your batteries are new 😜

Cheers

Speed kills! Remember? 🤣🤣

All my 7mm-08s have shot sub moa with full loads of Varget and 140gr NotaHammer bullets. It’s strange that the accuracy isn’t what it should be. Still sounds minute of moose though.🤷🏼‍♂️

Sure.

132 HHT
Virgin Hornady brass
CCI 200
Varget 45.5 3087fps
AOL 2.815 .116 jump
Kimber Classic Select 22"
I’d buy a 15 round demo pack of the 131 Heavy Hammers. Which is shorter than the 132HHT’s. Sounds like your current load has the shoulder sitting .018-.024 into the case of the neck (depending on trim). 2.830” is shoulder length of the 132HHT’s. 131 Hvy Hammers shoulder is 2.645.”

Keep us posted.

I guess I never reported back on my BeanMore with the 125gr HHT results in TX. 1st animal was the nilgai at about 100y or so. Shot off hand broadside through both shoulders and he made it about 10y from impact. Second animal was fallow deer at about 100y shot from a blind. Buck moved as I was getting ready to shoot and when repositioned I did not notice that he was quartering to more and I hit back of onside lung and exited behind the ribs on the off side. Liver shot and he went about 20y. Shot a great axis deer at about 70y going away hard quarter. Hit behind the shoulder and exited the off shoulder. Dropped to the shot. I'll post some pics with my phone in a bit.

As far as the 7-08 Kimber goes. The Kimbers tend to be tough to get great accuracy from. I think our load with the 132's is 46gr Varget at a bit over 3100 fps.

I’d buy a 15 round demo pack of the 131 Heavy Hammers. Which is shorter than the 132HHT’s. Sounds like your current load has the shoulder sitting .018-.024 into the case of the neck (depending on trim). 2.830” is shoulder length of the 132HHT’s. 131 Hvy Hammers shoulder is 2.645.”

Keep us posted.

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestion, but I've decided to stick with my 120TTSX load. It gives me good numbers and accuracy, and has taken a lot of game over the years. I'm sure that eventually I could find accuracy with the 132HHTs, or some 131HHs. I just don't know if my wallet can handle it.

Thanks again.

Back