7mag, and 118hht results

7stw

Well guys, I received my 118hht in 7mmand loaded some of each in my .280 and 7mag. Both were impressive, but the one that really has my attention is my 7mag. Using a charge of 64.8 grains of H4350, velocity is 3383, SD 1, ES 2.5. The group is less then 1/2 in. First two in a hole, the third just outside. Only caveat being, my FCD hasn't arrived yet, but will be here this week. I had to abort my work with the 280, as I ran into pressure. The next load in the 7mag, was 65.6, which was well into 3400+, but SD, and ES, were higher, and groups not as tight. Temp was rising, over 80 degrees, which might have been a factor, but single digit es, SD in a belted mag are rare. I'm pleased. Thanks Steve , and Bean.

I'm trying to figure that out without running into pressures or low load density. I'm thinking RL16, or RL17. Those both are close to H4350 burn rate. When I did raise powder charge, grouping went away, ES and SD was rising.

There are lots of 7mm mags available. What is your "7mm mag"? I asked because your screen name is 7STW, but the velocities you are getting with a 118HHT bullet seem on the slow side to me for that particular cartridge? Maybe your 7mm mag is not a 7mm STW?

For example, I get over 3900fps with no pressure with my 28 Nosler and 118HHT in ADG brass with N565, and the 7mm STW has near the same capacity as the 28 Nosler. Not trying to criticize, just offering up some additional information that you may find helpful.

Last edited:
There are lots of 7mm mags available. What is your "7mm mag"? I asked because your screen name is 7STW, but the velocities you are getting with a 118HHT bullet seem on the slow side to me for that particular cartridge? Maybe your 7mm mag is not a 7mm STW?

For example, I get over 3900fps with no pressure with my 28 Nosler and 118HHT in ADG brass with N565, and the 7mm STW has near the same capacity as the 28 Nosler. Not trying to criticize, just offering up some additional information that you may find helpful.
7mm Remington magnum. Based off of 338 win mag. Also the sane case as 264wm. Smaller then 7stw.

I would think you could get well over 3500 fps with the 118 in a 7 mag. One of my favorite loads is a 131 HH at 3380 using RL23. No pressure with this load in a factory Browning with 24" barrel. With the 118 I would consider trying RL16, N550 and perhaps Win760.

On the other hand sometimes less is more and if you're happy with the groups and what I can only guess is VERY manageable recoil then go kill something :)

JM2C

This thread piqued my interest because hes using H4350 and getting slower velocities....
Im using H4350 in my 280ai and only getting 3200fps, 140gnAH. A friend of mine just started loading for his 7RM using H4350 and the 132gnHHT and is only getting 3350fps. Both of us experienced pressure plateaus at the upper limit of our testing.

Just sharing my observations. Maybe H4350 is too slow burn rate for lighter Hammers in this caliber?

I would think you could get well over 3500 fps with the 118 in a 7 mag. One of my favorite loads is a 131 HH at 3380 using RL23. No pressure with this load in a factory Browning with 24" barrel. With the 118 I would consider trying RL16, N550 and perhaps Win760.

On the other hand sometimes less is more and if you're happy with the groups and what I can only guess is VERY manageable recoil then go kill something :)

JM2C
I'd like to see 3500-3550. My 264 with 110HH does 3525, in a dot. Single es, SD.
My next jab will be with 16, or 17. Temps are rising here, so it may be fall by ge time I get back to it.

JMHO, but for myself, my rule of thumb is if you pressure out before 100+% case fill, the powder is too fast for your particular set of parameters. There may be other reason to go with the faster powder, but for just pure speed considerations, you want to be at 100+% case fill. And, usually, there are 2 - 4 powders that will give you that optimum speed. Ideally, you will get speed and accuracy, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some speed to get accuracy. So it is all a matter of experimentation, trade-offs, and personal preferences.

And by "100+%" I mean you need to at least use some sort of powder settling technique to get the full charge in the case and maybe a little bit of powder compression, to. And, as stated above, this is solely focusing on the speed aspect. Crunch, crunch.

Again, JMHO.

Last edited:
JMHO, but for myself, my rule of thumb is if you pressure out before 100+% case fill, the powder is too fast for your particular set of parameters. There may be other reason to go with the faster powder, but for just pure speed considerations, you want to be at 100+% case fill. And, usually, there are 2 -4 powders that will give you that optimum speed. Ideally, you will get speed and accuracy, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some speed to get accuracy. So it is all a matter of experimentation and trade-offs.

And by "100+%" I mean you need to at least use some sort of powder settling technique to get the full charge in the case and maybe a little bit of powder compression, to. And, as stated above, this is solely focusing on the speed aspect. Crunch, crunch.

Again, JMHO.
I'm not actually getting pressure yet, I just noticed the lower charge, had single digit ES, and SD. .8 grains more was faster, over 3400, but grouping went away, and es, SD climbed. I may have been coming out of that node, and into another one. I just had a few samples loaded that day. Neither one showed pressure. I'm just below the top of the neck, half way down the shoulder. The other two powders I'd like to try is RL16, RL17. The latter is a high energy powder in this application. I've never dealt with the VV powders, as they are sometimes hard to find, then find again locally. This isn't my first day in the pumpkin patch, meaning I'll figure it out. My 280, is giving me a fit, because it's a 8 twist, 26 inch barrel, and it pops pressure before I get desired velocity. I just bought another 280, Montana 1999, with 9 twist, 24 inch barrel. I've got some 118hht loaded for it as we speak. My 7mag, (Remington), is a 9 twist, 26 inch, with brake. I've probably got another grain or 2 in the 7mag with H4350 though. 16, or 17 may show a little more velocity.

I've got a few of the Montana 1999s. The original Montana company deservedly gained a bad reputation, but I've had good luck with mine and like them a lot.

7STW, I skipped over that you were talking about two separate guns and load development. On the 7Rem Mag, I wouldn't get so enamored over 3 round ES/SD performance that it would make be stop finding the top of the pressure/performance of a particular powder. Even so, after you found the full potential of the powder, and it didn't work out, you can always go back to that charge. I would continue adding H4350 while experimenting with the other two powders mentioned.

I've got a few of the Montana 1999s. The original Montana company deservedly gained a bad reputation, but I've had good luck with mine and like them a lot.
I'm a .280 fan from way back. I have the remington action custom, with the pain in the butt 8 twist. I ran into this Montana beauty at my local gunshop, the rest is history. I put a Meopta, Optika 6 on it, 3-15 power. I shot it few times yesterday. It was bought new a few years back, hardly fired. Bore is beautiful , viewed by my Teslong. Nice crisp leade, flawless rifling. Great wood. Adjusted trigger, range time was awesome. The crf takes a little getting used to, but this thing is a beauty. I'll see what she does with the 118hht as well.

7STW, I skipped over that you were talking about two separate guns and load development. On the 7Rem Mag, I wouldn't get so enamored over 3 round ES/SD performance that it would make be stop finding the top of the pressure/performance of a particular powder. Even so, after you found the full potential of the powder, and it didn't work out, you can always go back to that charge. I would continue adding H4350 while experimenting with the other two powders mentioned.
That is actually my intention. I didn't have a lot of range time yesterday, but really needed some T time. The weather has been crazy here. Rain, wind, or both, endless. I did load a few for each, 2 280's, and my 7mag. Those two stabs were the first outing with the 118hht, in anything. I'm impressed, but not quite satisfied until I just am under pressure point, which is where I feel like they will shoot well, and consistent. Along with a little more speed obviously. I'd like to see 3300 in the 280, and 3500-3550 in the 7mag. Both those numbers may be a little conservative, but if I hit a accuracy node there, I'll be good with that. These bullets are badass. I've experienced first hand what they are capable of, both accuracy wise, and terminally. I'll keep digging til I find my sweet spots. 😋

JMHO, but for myself, my rule of thumb is if you pressure out before 100+% case fill, the powder is too fast for your particular set of parameters. There may be other reason to go with the faster powder, but for just pure speed considerations, you want to be at 100+% case fill. And, usually, there are 2 -4 powders that will give you that optimum speed. Ideally, you will get speed and accuracy, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some speed to get accuracy. So it is all a matter of experimentation and trade-offs.

Again, JMHO.
Just a note, I was just thinking that maybe I am a little on the fast side, and maybe might consider IMR 4350, and IMR 4831. Ive also got RL19. Got my gears thinking now! Higher load densities, smoother pressure curve.

It's funny you say that, as it seems that they don't but rarely coincide. I've had loads that were hummers. I mean bona-fide fly killers. But shoot them through a crony, es and SD are miles apart. Then, you get a great load, that yields low es, and SD, and it looks like you shot it with a shotgun. My 264wm is the one and only that sync. Single digits , and bugholes. Steve, I've just begun on the 7mag, and the two 280's, but I'll figure it out. Bean will tell ya, I'm a digger!

Back