7mag, and 118hht results

@7stw, you should be able to get more than 3300 out of the 280 with the 118HHT. I recently did some load testing with the 118 out of my Tikka 7mm-08. A 22” barrel, and I was getting 3,242 fps in safe pressure. Dial in the powder and you’ll be screaming!

@7stw, you should be able to get more than 3300 out of the 280 with the 118HHT. I recently did some load testing with the 118 out of my Tikka 7mm-08. A 22” barrel, and I was getting 3,242 fps in safe pressure. Dial in the powder and you’ll be screaming!
Yeah, I'm thinking 16, or 17 will get me there too. I don't think I'll see it in my 8 twist, but probably will in the new 9 twist. Can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want a 8 twist in 7mm. I didn't think it was going to be such an obstacle. Now I do!
As I mentioned earlier, those numbers I mentioned were/are conservative I think, but I'm just getting my feet wet in this caliber. It's all good. The wows never get old!

It's funny you say that, as it seems that they don't but rarely coincide. I've had loads that were hummers. I mean bona-fide fly killers. But shoot them through a crony, es and SD are miles apart. Then, you get a great load, that yields low es, and SD, and it looks like you shot it with a shotgun. My 264wm is the one and only that sync. Single digits , and bugholes. Steve, I've just begun on the 7mag, and the two 280's, but I'll figure it out. Bean will tell ya, I'm a digger!
Something to sooth the mind on this. There are two elements to ammo/rifle combo:

Combustion = Components giving low ES/SD
Harmonics = small groups
Optimal = Having both present in the ammo/rifle system
Common = a guy gets one or the other!
Most important element of the two = Harmonics (Tune)

It doesn't matter how great the ES/SD if the rounds aren't in tune with the gun. No sane person is going to select a load that is great on the chrono reads, but doesn't shoot worth a damn. LOL!

I'll be so bold to say that ES/SD doesn't matter unless one is shooting 1000yd precision competitions where only under those conditions would poor ES/SD show with some vertical stringing.

I don't think anyone is going to shoot the difference between single digit SD and teens SD in common hunting ranges, or within 600yds. The majority of my handloads for everything I shoot hum along the teens SD.

I once thought some factory .223 ammo had just the best numbers when I shot it to 900yds with great precision. I later tested 100 round sample of the ammo and it had ES: 45 SD: 25. :p

Something to sooth the mind on this. There are two elements to ammo/rifle combo:

Combustion = Components giving low ES/SD
Harmonics = small groups
Optimal = Having both present in the ammo/rifle system
Common = a guy gets one or the other!
Most important element of the two = Harmonics (Tune)

It doesn't matter how great the ES/SD if the rounds aren't in tune with the gun. No sane person is going to select a load that is great on the chrono reads, but doesn't shoot worth a damn. LOL!

I'll be so bold to say that ES/SD doesn't matter unless one is shooting 1000yd precision competitions where only under those conditions would poor ES/SD show with some vertical stringing.

I don't think anyone is going to shoot the difference between single digit SD and teens SD in common hunting ranges, or within 600yds. The majority of my handloads for everything I shoot hum along the teens SD.

I once thought some factory .223 ammo had just the best numbers when I shot it to 900yds with great precision. I later tested 100 round sample of the ammo and it had ES: 45 SD: 25. :p
You are right. I now have a constant speed , as I recently acquired a XeroC1 Garmin. So....I see all this info that I have been blind to. I have a hard time discarding a load that drives nails, but has high ES, and SD. I need to put my blinders back on.🤣🤣🙈🙈

I would try H100v, or Ramshot hunter. Hunter gave almost 100% case fill, with a 130 absolute hammer, around 3475 FPS. As you said RL19 might be good as well.

What brass did you get?
I bought some Hornady brass. Pockets are soft, neck tension sucks. The only premium maker is Norma. You can make it 30.06 brass, BUT....it will be .036 short, because 30.06 is 2.494 max. The .280 is 2.540 max.
That leaves alot of space for carbon to build. I may go that road anyway. Lapua brass is my standard. You can use .270, but you have to blow out the shoulder, or basically fireform it. Nosler makes it, but it's no better then Hornady. I have some Norma brass coming.
For my 7mag , I'm using Peterson brass. They have a "long" version of it, and I love it. Fits my chamber perfect, no more bright rings above the belt. Best brass for 7mag I've ever used.

Last edited:
I would try H100v, or Ramshot hunter. Hunter gave almost 100% case fill, with a 130 absolute hammer, around 3475 FPS. As you said RL19 might be good as well.
I have some Ramshot Hunter powder, and RL19 as well. I also have 7828ssc, and Retumbo. I too, like a full case, yielding desired velocity.

Does Peterson sell 280 rem brass?
I use it in my 6br, 6.5cm, and 7mag. Very impressed.
They do. It is currently out of stock as well. Unless you can find some on the shelf somewhere. Same with the 280ai.

The Nosler brass is the same as Norma brass but has case mouth chamfered.

They do. It is currently out of stock as well. Unless you can find some on the shelf somewhere. Same with the 280ai.

The Nosler brass is the same as Norma brass but has case mouth chamfered.
Yeah Steve, I was just literally reading that they are temporarily out of stock. Which means it's a seasonal run issue. At this point I'm thinking I may just work with Lapua 30.06 brass, and resize. Neck will be short. I'll just have to keep an eye on carbon ring, and keep chamber really clean. You can use 270 brass, but it's a pain, as you have to fire form, and blow shoulder forward almost .040. Overall case length is the same however. Thanks for the feedback.

Yup. That's the only thing I can think of. It limits me somewhat, and with a 26 in barrel, it should be a screamer, but the 8 twist slows me up .
I have a 1-7.5 twist on my 280AI. I don’t feel it’s holding me back velocity wise compared to others when I look in the load data. 23” IBI CF and a 140 AH gets me 3300 FPS with H100V. Ran it close to 3400 FPS but shoots better at 3300 FPS. Also a faster twist will yield better terminal performance, ensuring straight line penetration.

I have a 1-7.5 twist on my 280AI. I don’t feel it’s holding me back velocity wise compared to others when I look in the load data. 23” IBI CF and a 140 AH gets me 3300 FPS with H100V. Ran it close to 3400 FPS but shoots better at 3300 FPS. Also a faster twist will yield better terminal performance, ensuring straight line penetration.
That's good to know. So, it's a powder choice that I'm dealing with. Thanks for the feedback. And a brass issue for sure. This H brass is super soft.

That's good to know. So, it's a powder choice that I'm dealing with. Thanks for the feedback. And a brass issue for sure. This H brass is super soft.
It could be that the powder and brass is holding you back. I’m definitely not a professional. I did forget in my post above to mention that I’m using Petersen brass.

Back