7mag, and 118hht results

A little update, but no rangetime yet. Weather has been .....not cooperative. But, I received my new brass for the. 280. It is Norma brass.
What I wanted to pass on is the weight of the Norma brass is 21 grains heavier then the Hornady brass. And is about 2 grains more the remington brass. That alone makes me feel better, as I truly didn't think my loads were hot.
Also, I now have my FCD for 7mag, and the. 280. So as soon as weather permits, back to the range and start over. I'll keep you all posted. Really surprised in differences in brass. Especially how fragile the Hornady brass is because of it.

A little update, but no rangetime yet. Weather has been .....not cooperative. But, I received my new brass for the. 280. It is Norma brass.
What I wanted to pass on is the weight of the Norma brass is 21 grains heavier then the Hornady brass. And is about 2 grains more the remington brass. That alone makes me feel better, as I truly didn't think my loads were hot.
Also, I now have my FCD for 7mag, and the. 280. So as soon as weather permits, back to the range and start over. I'll keep you all posted. Really surprised in differences in brass. Especially how fragile the Hornady brass is because of it.
Nice meticulous testing & observations! Brass weight is one test, but brass water capacity is what matters! Find heavy brass with high H2O capacity and you’re golden.

Nice meticulous testing & observations! Brass weight is one test, but brass water capacity is what matters! Find heavy brass with high H2O capacity and you’re golden.
Thank you, and yes, that will be my next on agenda for sure. Even the remington brass has more weight, but we all know it's soft. I have HAD to shoot it on occasion, years ago. But didn't have neck and pocket issues like this. It really had me questioning my own loading techniques. I was sure the loads weren't hot, but that brass sure showed pressure signs. Now I've got something to work with.
I'm using Peterson brass in my 7mm Mag. That stuff is awesome. I have another formula loaded up for the mag also. Need good weather, and no wind! Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you, and yes, that will be my next on agenda for sure. Even the remington brass has more weight, but we all know it's soft. I have HAD to shoot it on occasion, years ago. But didn't have neck and pocket issues like this. It really had me questioning my own loading techniques. I was sure the loads weren't hot, but that brass sure showed pressure signs. Now I've got something to work with.
I'm using Peterson brass in my 7mm Mag. That stuff is awesome. I have another formula loaded up for the mag also. Need good weather, and no wind! Thanks for the feedback.
Remington is titanium compared to Federal and Hornady. Worst to best primer pocket life:
Federal
Hornady
Remington/Winchester
Lapua
Peterson
Alpha

Remington is titanium compared to Federal and Hornady. Worst to best primer pocket life:
Federal
Hornady
Remington/Winchester
Lapua
Peterson
Alpha
Can't wait to get my hands on some Peterson brass when it becomes available. I'm a Lapua snob in every thing I have, but they don't make it. People don't know what a tremendous difference great brass makes in load development. And there are some that use pick up brass, and can't figure it out. I'm on a better track now, but not quite where I'd like to be on the brass situation. I could make it from Lapua 30.06 brass, but neck will be .040 short. That creates a different set of problems. I didn't check Alpha brass.

Guys, yet another update on my 118hht quest, today I took the Montana 1999 out, loaded with 56.1, and 56.6 H4350, remington brass, 210gmm, seated to top ring, And FCD applied. First off, velocity was 3250, and 3275 respectively. Groups were good, albeit if shooting 3 shot group, #3 is away, and barrel is very hot. No smear, easy eject, necks clean, indicating a clean burn, and good seal. This rifle has 24 inch 9 twist, that I'm gonna call a pencil barrel. Thoughts, suggestions? Velocity good, slow, or ?

Back