A Brass Analysis by Pressure Signs

Sure is use one brand of brass when tuning loads
To wit, for all bolt guns, this is what I do. Just have different brands across the various cartridges.
For gas guns where the objective is tossing lead and making noise, I am not scared to load up a low book load in random brass.

BFD,
Well done!
Most old hands monitor both the 200 line expansion And primer pockets.
Several people make go/no go gauges for primer pockets. If it goes in, toss that brass. You're done (maybe one more if you use nail polish like joe16)🤪
If you measure 1.5 thousandths head expansion, you're also pretty much done (or in the extreme, like Butterbead said, you can't get the case in the sizing die).
No point pushing the extremes. It may bite you in the end. I know I have!

BFD,
Well done!
Several people make go/no go gauges for primer pockets. If it goes in, toss that brass. You're done (maybe one more if you use nail polish like joe16)🤪
If you measure 1.5 thousandths head expansion, you're also pretty much done (or in the extreme, like Butterbead said, you can't get the case in the sizing die).
That’s what I’m screaming! 🤣

BFD,
Well done!
Blasphemy ;)

Just wanted to publicly thank @BFD for his help on my 708. This was my first rifle to take and load a full pressure ladder, and then back off of pressure and find accuracy. I’ve loaded for a rifle in the past, but didn’t run a full pressure ladder. Just settled on a light load that shot well.

For my 708, I started with Benchmark powder. Since I’m new, I asked Brad if he could check my brass for me. He kindly did so and helped me.

I just got my order of Tac the other day and got to shoot a pressure ladder on Tuesday morning. This being a new to me powder, using what Brad taught me, I was able to confidently sit down and deprime my brass to measure primer pocket growth, and case web growth to know where I’m in safe operating pressure. Thanks Brad!

Just wanted to publicly thank @BFD for his help on my 708. This was my first rifle to take and load a full pressure ladder, and then back off of pressure and find accuracy. I’ve loaded for a rifle in the past, but didn’t run a full pressure ladder. Just settled on a light load that shot well.

For my 708, I started with Benchmark powder. Since I’m new, I asked Brad if he could check my brass for me. He kindly did so and helped me.

I just got my order of Tac the other day and got to shoot a pressure ladder on Tuesday morning. This being a new to me powder, using what Brad taught me, I was able to confidently sit down and deprime my brass to measure primer pocket growth, and case web growth to know where I’m in safe operating pressure. Thanks Brad!
Glad I could be of help! Looking forward to reports on all your future load developments! Thanks for the Benchmark and the tip on the Ugly Annealer!

Back