Announcing the New Hammer HHT

I noticed the new HHT bullets have the PDR bands spread farther apart, and have fewer of them. Does anyone know why some of the new HHT bullets look to have the "old style" PDR bands? For instance look at the 264 118 HHT (old style) and 125 (new style).

Steve mentioned that fewer PDR bands show less pressure, and I assume the gentler angles on the new style PDR bands reduces skin drag, but shouldn't there be an optimal geometry that all bullets would share?
better bc with the new design

I'm basing my question on pictures from the website. See below.

Here is the .264 118 gr HHT with 5 PDR bands. This is what I'm accustomed to, and what I was referring to as the "old style."
26118HT.jpeg

Here is the .264 125 gr HHT. It only has 3 bands, which is what I'm referring to as the "new style."
26125HT.jpeg

They are distinctly different geometries. Why?

Here is the .264 118 gr HHT with 5 PDR bands. This is what I'm accustomed to, and what I was referring to as the "old style."
View attachment 1275

Here is the .264 125 gr HHT. It only has 3 bands, which is what I'm referring to as the "new style."
View attachment 1276

The depth is less!

The only thing I know is Steve and Company (testers) have them ready for me to work up loads and harvest game! I've got pills on the way and I will be ready for fall with the 300 RUM. If I don't like the new bullets, I can fall back on the old ones! I've got a sweet load worked up with the 137 HH and I feel it will take anything I hunt this fall. I'm really excited about the new bullets. I know a lot of work has gone into them.

View attachment 1275

View attachment 1276

I get what you’re saying Disco… My assumption is that some bands are wider and shallower because that’s better for bc, however, it is probably only possible in the longer bullets. Essentially, the longer the bullet, the wider the bands can be since they have enough length to get at least 2 “peaks” in contact with the case neck. I suspect that the lighter for caliber bullets won’t have much (if any) wider bands than normal HH. This is all conjecture on my part…😬🤘

@DiscoSteve

I noticed this as well. In fact, some of the original hammers (i.e. a number of .243 caliber pills) have gentler bands, too. I figured some time back that this would improve BC. Due to the higher surface to volume ratios of the smaller calibers vs the larger ones, I am really hoping that this 68gr unicorn that @Pickens72 mentioned has the newer, gentler and less numerous PDRs. The smaller calibers should benefit by a larger margin than the large ones with the new design and tip.

@Pickens72

Hopefully the 22 cal unicorn has a nice long nose and boattail. My 223 remington magazines feed COALs of 2.360" due to a modification I made. I load my stuff out long. I'm thinking I can comfortably get between 3000fps and 3100fps with that pill. I have a can of N135 waiting that has given me the best accuracy my rifle has ever seen. Will be perfect for the unicorn.

Nice thread. I was waiting for these bullets to come out. Several notes below, some unrelated to each other.

unrelated: Joe16: My wife loves her 270Win Tikka. Yes, it would have been nice with an 8" twist, but she's happy with the factory barrel for deer.

On tips and stability, I'm afraid that we need to go into tech stuff.
I do not trust the formulae underlying the JBM website (which I use a lot) for the plastic tip additions.
A simple thought experiment can explain:
take a hollow point bullet 1.5". Let's say that it's Sf for that rifle is also approximately 1.5.
then add a tip +0.2". The bullet is now 1.7". Common sense tells us that the BC will go DOWN.
Why? Because the longer bullet would need more twist! You can verify this by plugging values into JBM while leaving the "tip" box "0.0".
For checking, I used the following settings to produce a 1.514 SF: 30* Farenheight, 25% humidity, 1200ft elev (think midwest, cold), then a 1.5" bullet in .308", 150grain, 3000fps and a 8.8" twist. That produces a 1.514 Sf.
Take the same rifle and climate, extend the bullet length to 1.7" and the SF comes out at only 1.050 Sf. In other words, adding a tip to a hollow point results in a marginally unstable bullet. However, if one adds the tip, and one records the tip in the JBM site, the result improves to 1.336 Sf. I've also adjusted for weight, using 155grain for the tipped bullet and gotten 1.381 Sf. If that tip were .3", then the BC goes UP even more according to JBM: 1.575 Sf with a 155grain, .3" tip, 1.7" bullet (at 3000fps and same weather). Something seems wrong with the formula.

I am happy to be corrected on the thought experiment. (I first contemplated this when having trouble with long tips and CEB bullets.)

Below is a comparison that may help in choices.

Hammer Tipped (Sf calculated at 'midwest winter', 30*F, 25%H, 1200ft, 3000fps), 10" twist (for comparisons, not recommendation)
"c TIP" means JBM with the 0.143" tip compensation calculated. It is my current feeling that these are artificially "high", not real.

PH 150AH 151HHT 154HH 181HHT 182HH 180HH 199HHT 203
.389e G1.185 G7.221 G7.272 G7.261e G7.243 G7.299 G7.291e G7
1.24"1.24"1.335"1.537"1.5821.48"1.627"1.710
151gn151gn154gn180gn180180197203
.699.7200.7195"nose?0.8308"0.855nose?0.8371
but probablyblunt nosepoint noselonger noselonger nose
lower (!)lower BCbetter BCbetter BCbetter BC
BC vs AHAH vs HHTvs HHTvs HHT
2.092 Sf/cTIP1.445 c TIP1.280 c TIP
2.0372.051 Sf1.690 Sf1.310 Sf1.204 Sf1.214 Sf1.081 Sf

For confirmation of the +tip calculations, here is a similar table with the "160grain" class of .308" bullets:
Sf calculated for upper midwest winter, 2900fps, 30*F, 25%H, 10" twist, 1200 elev.
The tipped HHT 163 has an Sf calculated with JBM tip compensation and without tip compensation.

Targ 160AH 162HHT 163HH160
.250e G7.197e G7.234e G7.219 G7
1.349"1.361.467"1.335
160gn162gn163gn160Sf= 2900fps
--0.83"0.9077"0.7833"30*F, 25%H
1.635 ? c 0.143 tip<— JBM tip Sf =?!?10" twist
1.684 Sf1.665 Sf1.344 Sf "without"1.736 Sf1200ft elev

For the heavier bullets, it looks like the longer noses of the HH make them the best choice for those with faster twist barrels, like myself. Current recommendations for the 181 HH are 9.5", which seems good. (The tipped bullets are designed with shorter, stubbier noses and lose BC.)
[[Since our PRC is an 8" twist, we are not restricted by the accuracy of the +/- TIP calculations. They're all good.]]

For the light bullets, the choice will come down to "better BC with the tip" versus "potential better muzzle velocity with the AH". to be honest, it's pretty much a wash between them, but I like trying new things. I really like the AH in our grandkids' 308Win, and I am up to trying out the HHT. It may get a little velocity increase itself over the old 152HH because of reduced PDR surface in the new HHT and be the best of both worlds. Or not, but it is worth a box to find out.

bottom line:
(1) I am ordering some 154 HHT, hoping that its velocity will get close to the AH so that the BC can have its effect at 300-400 yards, which is a long shot for a 308Win in the field.
(2) Also some 163 HHTs for the 300PRC.
(3) I'll wait for longer noses on the heavier 308's and maybe order them when the 338 and 270 come out :)

Thank you, Steve/Hammer for the offer.

How does this plastic tip compare to the ones on a hornady lever evolution bullet? In other words would the be ok in a tube fed lever gun?

The dimensions of the PDR bands are all constant for depth. The distance between them varies. We, for the most part, have spread them out for fewer of them in the new designs. One more or less does not make any kind of drastic change to bullet performance. Much of the decision of PDR configuration is up to the artist discretion. (That would be Brian.) The spacing needs to make sense according to the amount of bearing surface to be covered and making sure that they are close enough together to ensure at least two make contact in the case neck.

The tip is not soft for use in tube feed magazines.

Some have claimed that the polymer tip doesn't effect stability, so doesn't have to be considered in bullet length. Others claim that the tip is no different and must be absolutely considered in bullet length for stability. In testing, we proved that the tip does add to the bullets length for stability. Although not as much as if it were the same density as the bullet material. I think the jbm stability calculator with tip dimension input is reliable. In testing we found the Hammer HHT to be terminally stable with less stability than the Hammer Hunters. @Farleg in his quest to make them fail, ran the 163g HHT marginally stable trying to make them deflect off angled rib shots and he was still unable to stop them from straight line penetration. He can elaborate on how hard he tried to make them fail. So you all know, we asked him to fail them. "Right, I can fail any bullet, mate.". Pretty sure that was his answer.

Thank you for the reply on JBM and tip stability.

On reflection, we ordered the 154 HHT and 168gn HHT in order to try out the increased spacing. In the PRC we might try 'seating long.' Not able to try this out until Fall since grandpa will do this work, me.

Thank you again for the work on the products.

Back