Antelope!

After I typed that response I was talking about hunting pronghorn with my brother and a couple other hunting friends and they all called BS on me. They brought up the time I took a non-trophy pronghorn at 48 yards. Then they talked about the time I belly crawled into a cactus patch and took another non-trophy pronghorn that was closer than 30 yards. Both those times though I wasn't stalking those particular animals. It was a happy accident that I was in the right place, at the right time, and they wandered by or were curios trying to figure out what I was.

I can’t remember which unit, but years ago a friend drew an archery antelope tag. For at least a month, he’d got to the alfalfa field, pick up an irrigation pipe and carry it out into the herd. Twice a day he did this. Opening day, he walked out into the herd like usual, but was carrying his bow. Shot the biggest buck in the herd from less than 10 yards. That was good prep work for a nice trophy.

Congratulations on getting a tag! I hunt birds in the Whitehorse Unit. I've never hunted antelope in the unit. However, I have seen them around waterholes when bird hunting. The only unit I've hunted antelope in Oregon is the Beatty's Butte unit. My only advice is to glass glass glass!

That's awesome. I went on my first antelope hunt last year in WY. Harvested a nice buck at ~420 yds with the 123AH out of my 6.5 CM.

I'm waiting to see if I drew a leftover WY cow elk tag.
Disco Steve - Hope you draw! Elk meat is second best to moose in my opinion. I'm hoping for a 20-30 yard shot as I'll be bow hunting. I did draw 2 deer tags this year - Hammer Time! I'm sure I will hunt one of them with the 6.5 CM. I've put too much work getting it dialed in not to hunt with it.

Completely off topic - but this afternoon I coached 2 people who had never shot a "high power rifle" before to hit an 8" gong at 300 yards on the first shot with my 6.5 creedmoor. Not saying that means anything other than _maybe_ it makes longer range shots attainable to those who may have not been able to do it before? At least it potentially gets more people interested in shooting sports and riflery in general. Hopefully that makes @ButterBean proud ;).

Completely off topic - but this afternoon I coached 2 people who had never shot a "high power rifle" before to hit an 8" gong at 300 yards on the first shot with my 6.5 creedmoor. Not saying that means anything other than _maybe_ it makes longer range shots attainable to those who may have not been able to do it before? At least it potentially gets more people interested in shooting sports and riflery in general. Hopefully that makes @ButterBean proud ;).
So, they have used a Creedmoor, but when are they going to shoot a "High powered" rifle ?

It does

Any advice welcome.
I’m a little late to this discussion, do they run cattle in the Whitehorse Warner units? Couple years ago Jordan valley Owyhee speed goat hunt we used a moo cow decoy to get close to some bucks or black brown sheet would work I’m guessing. Just a thought.

Back