Antelope!

Went up to my unit and set up my blind for archery antelope yesterday. I saw plenty of critters! It was nice to see several deer and elk. I ended the day on the Salmon River and caught a few cutthroat trout. Everything looks nice and green this year. The animals look real healthy. The Lord willing, I'll be trying to ambush one on August 15th. I'm really looking forward to speed-goat season.

Went up to my unit and set up my blind for archery antelope yesterday. I saw plenty of critters! It was nice to see several deer and elk. I ended the day on the Salmon River and caught a few cutthroat trout. Everything looks nice and green this year. The animals look real healthy. The Lord willing, I'll be trying to ambush one on August 15th. I'm really looking forward to speed-goat season.
Gday Les
Do you have any pics & wishing you & everyone success this year

Carl Howz thing’s looking from your window ?
Cheers

Looks like y’all are getting some rain today up in Frank Church!❤️

Sorry Farleg - Only one this trip. The name of the game is get in quick, set-up and leave. Minimal footprint. It was raining too. LightTheTower we had a really nice two days of rain with no lighting! As long as everything holds, I think you and your group is going to have an awesome hunt.
View from where I setup my blind.

Stormy Sawtooths.jpg

Hey Les - I just got off a 6 day float trip on the lower salmon. The elkhorn fire ruined our plans to float the permitted main salmon section. What section of the salmon do you hunt?

Hey Les - I just got off a 6 day float trip on the lower salmon. The elkhorn fire ruined our plans to float the permitted main salmon section. What section of the salmon do you hunt?
I am up near Stanley, Idaho.

Well I suppose I should finish this thread out.

Pretty much a bust. Not for lack of effort though. One thing after another delayed our departure. We got the trailer hooked and loaded, and truck broke down. Long story stuff that was paid for to be replaced was scabbed together instead. We ended up renting a truck.

We also were sick. I thought a bunch of it was choking on smoke, and my crappy sinuses.Thinking covid at this point-if I had known my partner was also getting it and coughed the entire road trip portion, I may have begged off.

When I got home I had to be assisted the last few feet to bed. I guess I say we left it all on the field.

I did get out long enough to see one very shootable buck. Just too old, fat, sick, and slow to pull it off in the time allowed.

The high desert nights, especially with a full moon are always a blessing to observe. As always God's will always prevails. Confusing for sure, but he is present for all of it.

Well I suppose I should finish this thread out.

Pretty much a bust. Not for lack of effort though. One thing after another delayed our departure. We got the trailer hooked and loaded, and truck broke down. Long story stuff that was paid for to be replaced was scabbed together instead. We ended up renting a truck.

We also were sick. I thought a bunch of it was choking on smoke, and my crappy sinuses.Thinking covid at this point-if I had known my partner was also getting it and coughed the entire road trip portion, I may have begged off.

When I got home I had to be assisted the last few feet to bed. I guess I say we left it all on the field.

I did get out long enough to see one very shootable buck. Just too old, fat, sick, and slow to pull it off in the time allowed.

The high desert nights, especially with a full moon are always a blessing to observe. As always God's will always prevails. Confusing for sure, but he is present for all of it.
Sorry to hear about all the obstacles HARPERC. I'm hoping you get feeling better.
Every trip is an adventure and hopefully you had a good time. No doubt God's will always prevails. It's a truth that doesn't always please us, but a truth, none the less.
Thanks for your report

Sorry to hear about your hunt going sideways Harperc. I still have a few weeks left for my bow hunt for antelope. That is why it is called hunting, not killing. I find it a blessing just to be out in God's creation. One of the highlights of my first try was watching a hawk do his hunting. He nailed a rabbit right in front of my blind.

Bow season for antelope is done. I am seriously evaluating whether I am going to Bow Hunt for them anymore. I was going to hunt one more day (the last day of the season) from my blind. I drove the 130 miles up to my spot and someone had stolen my blind. I went to plan B. Let's just say the fishing was outstanding yesterday. I went up to "deer alley" and didn't see a deer. Yesterday I had 4 valid tags, antelope, deer, elk, and bear. I drove through the mountains, always very very enjoyable, but slow experience to a large meadow that has antelope to see if I could try a spot and stalk. I glassed for about a half hour and saw nothing. I then went to my secret fishing pond and caught several brook trout. Two males had so much color it looked like they were painted. Those two fish made my day. I finished the day going about a mile and a half up the trail I will be using at the beginning of my serious elk hunt the end of next week. This is the first year I am feeling my age (70). I think I'm going to do more rifle hunting next year. Even though I didn't get one, it was a wonderful time watching "speed goats" at 75-500 yards doing their thing! It is my wife's favorite game meat and my favorite animal to hunt. I might go out of State for them next year.

Last edited:
Back