Building a New Bolt gun any suggestion on caliber was thinking about 6mm creedmore 22DPC ,6.5 CREEDMORE

markfina

I picked up solus chassis for 490.00 and solus reciever and bolt .478 short action for 700.00 going with a tiggertech diamond tigger and ec tuner brake and bartlien barrel. Just need to decide what caliber. Let opinions fly looking at pericison and long range shooting

Given what you have thrown out as possibilities.....I would vote 6mm creedmoor. I have been considering re-barreling one of my savages in this caliber as I feel it would just be smoking fast and flat shooting. 75HHT for the win!!

Not too sure what a 22 DPC is but I think my 22 Creedmoor with a 27 inch barrel is a little Powerhouse. I put a Fat Bastard M/B on it and you can literally watch the holes appear on the target with lighter bullets. Reloader 26 and 88 grain eldms made me question my 224 Clark🤔. I've heard nothing but good things about the 6mm Creedmoor as far as distance shooting goes, sort of heard it was the better of the three.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Not too sure what a 22 DPC is but I think my 22 Creedmoor with a 27 inch barrel is a little Powerhouse. I put a Fat Bastard M/B on it and you can literally watch the holes appear on the target with lighter bullets. Reloader 26 and 88 grain eldms made me question my 224 Clark🤔. I've heard nothing but good things about the 6mm Creedmoor as far as distance shooting goes, sort of heard it was the better of the three.

💥🚀🔨☠️
22DPC IS A WILDCAT developed by Kenny at Desert Pericison Gun works based off of the 6mm ARC necked down to 224
Hornady launched their 22 Creedmore 1 1/2 yrs after Kenny.

I'm very interested in the responses here. I am also in the same quandary as markfina, with the exact same action.
I was originally thinking the Quartermoor, because the action came with 100 Alpha 25 CM brass and a brick of small rifle primers. I already have a 22 and 6.5 Creedmoor both of which I'm very happy with.

22DPC IS A WILDCAT developed by Kenny at Desert Pericison Gun works based off of the 6mm ARC necked down to 224
Hornady launched their 22 Creedmore 1 1/2 yrs after Kenny.
I couldn't see myself going to a smaller case capacity than the Creedmoor. My first was the 6.5 man bun. I thought it a very respectable case doing exactly what it was designed to do. I ordered a 22 Creedmoor Barrel from McGowan for my model 7 and I ordered a Criterion 22 Creedmoor Barrel for a Savage 110 action. I mistakenly took the model 7 22 Creedmoor deer hunting with a 72 grain Controlled Chaos from Lehigh defense. That ended up in a lost Buck. I can't see myself parting with the 22 Creedmoor McGowan Barrel simply for the fact is I respect that cartridge too much. The Criterion 27 in that I put on the Savage, it's a smoker, a real dream to shoot.

All that being said it's really hard to look past the ballistics of the 6mm pills.

Just sayin

@markfina The question as I see it is not which caliber/chambering do you want; instead you should be asking which ones you don’t want! Switch barrel rigs are hotter than two-dollar pistols. Or @JesseJ’s raffle ticket cheerleader. Or @BFD’s babysitter! 🤣🤣🤣 That said, I, too, hear the siren’s call of the 22 Creed. And the Nicene, of course, but that’s non sequitur.

@joe16, that LeHigh controlled chaos has disappointed a few of us. I believe @OutdoorEdventure had a video of them failing on yotes and trash pandas. Failed me on whitetail.

Mark

Ultimately it comes down to the cartridge that you think about the most. Twist is one of the most important decisions you have to make. I've said my say on my cartridge choice. Be careful and dont allow this to turn into a REGRET rifle. I've had a few of those and I quickly get rid of them.

This place is awesome.

I'm very interested in the responses here. I am also in the same quandary as markfina, with the exact same action.
I was originally thinking the Quartermoor, because the action came with 100 Alpha 25 CM brass and a brick of small rifle primers. I already have a 22 and 6.5 Creedmoor both of which I'm very happy with.
Which one is your favorite 6.5 or 22?

I like the 22 Creedmoor as it is a serious contributor to the 22cal world but it would not be my choice for long range shooting. The 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor I find to be quite accurate but rather lethargic. In this case, as mentioned above, I would seriously consider the Beanmore. The 6.5-284 is a great cartridge but limited in a short action.

Just adding, if custom dies are too much of a problem a 243 AI or 260 AI will give you improved performance over the Needmore and dies are readily available.

JM2C

Last edited:
Back