Collet Die

yoyodad

Hi,
Brand new to bullets and forum.
I am gathering components to start reloading Hammer bullets and was wondering if there might be any reason to not use a collet neck sizer die?
Thanks!
Jay

Just get a good two die set that has a full length sizing die. Neck sizing has really gone by the wayside....even for long range competition shooters. Make sure to set up the full length resizing die so you are only bumping your shoulders. 0.002-0.003".

I'm sure some still just neck size, but lots of great shooters have gone away from it.

Here is a great guy to watch.

Welcome from NE Alabama!
Good advice!
If you're new to Hammers, do some reading first. That will get you off on the right foot.
Muddy will be along shortly with some suggestions.

@yoyodad I agree with sticking to full length sizing.

I am not saying this to insult you at all—because I didn’t know a couple years ago—but if you are not familiar with how to measure shoulder bump, don’t be too proud to ask. No dumb questions around here. Great group of folks who are very helpful.
Which hammer are you looking to load and for which cartridge?

yoyodad

To answer your question, there is no reason not to use the Lee Collet neck sizing die if you're going to shoot hunting loads at low enough pressures that will not increase headspace after each firing.

I have and love my Lee collet neck sizing dies, I use them on my 65x55 shooting a mild charge of 4350 under a 142 smk. I also load for my buddies 308 actually he owns three of them the 175 smks with a mild charger 4895. After five firings we full size the cases just in case but rarely need to.

Not sure if anybody's tried the Lee Factory crimp die in conjunction with their neck sizing die, you would probably be the first. Not required but hammers LOVE to be crimped, matter of fact slightly adjusting the Lee Factory crimp die can greatly affect group size.👍👍👍

HAMMERS are a different story, their bullet is designed to hunt with and they really shine when run to the pressure limits of your components and rifle. These pressures increase head space and body diameters to were feeding and extracting would become an issue if not bumped back or full size completely.

Hope this helps

Joe

Hi,
Brand new to bullets and forum.
I am gathering components to start reloading Hammer bullets and was wondering if there might be any reason to not use a collet neck sizer die?
Thanks!
Jay
Neck sizing introduces inconsistency, at some point you will have to full length size anyways starting over.

Not certain but there might also be an argument for brass life keeping the brass within -.002/-.003 of movement limits working the brass.

Welcome from Utah yoyodad.
I am sure you can get someone here to talk you through shoulder bump adjustment, but I found several youtube videos that visually explain the process. You will have to have the tools to measure it so that will be the first step.
Best of luck.

How do you measure shoulder bump?
Thanks!
Youll need a case comparator gauge. I use the one from Hornady.
Measure your fireformed case datum (case headspace). Setup your sizing die normal, then back it out about .020" (this can vary by caliber) then size the die and measure. Turn the die back in until your shoulder datum moves only .002/.003" and done.

Annealing will make it so much easier and precise.

Back