Pressing Tips of HHT

I'm sure everyone has a preferred method of seating the tips. Probably easiest is just smacking with hammer.
I didn't like knocking things around on my bench and wanted a more controlled method of seating.
Didn't take but a couple of minutes to come upnwith something that I've grown to really like.

I use a forester co-ax press with the "L" jaws. I think the LS-large would also work. Maybe even better. The copper tip die fits perfectly into the jaws and rests firmly on the bottom plate while being centered and held in place by the jaws.
Place tip in tip die and bullet on tip.
1000015858.jpg
I put in a hornady bullet puller die with the collet for the caliber being used and lower the handle completely. Then adjust the tension so that the boat tail of the hht will enter the collet. But small enough not to go all the way up to the pdr bands. With the handle of the bullet puller lowered you can lower the press arm.
1000015859.jpg
The boat tail will go into the collet just enough to center everything up, then press the tip into place. You will feel when the tip is fully seated.
1000015860.jpg
Raise the arm of the press. The tip die will stay in the jaws. And the bullet will stay I'm the puller. Raise the arm of the puller to drop the bullet into your hand.
1000015861.jpg
Wash rinse repeat.

I'm sure everyone has a preferred method of seating the tips. Probably easiest is just smacking with hammer.
I didn't like knocking things around on my bench and wanted a more controlled method of seating.
Didn't take but a couple of minutes to come upnwith something that I've grown to really like.

I use a forester co-ax press with the "L" jaws. I think the LS-large would also work. Maybe even better. The copper tip die fits perfectly into the jaws and rests firmly on the bottom plate while being centered and held in place by the jaws.
Place tip in tip die and bullet on tip.
View attachment 5847
I put in a hornady bullet puller die with the collet for the caliber being used and lower the handle completely. Then adjust the tension so that the boat tail of the hht will enter the collet. But small enough not to go all the way up to the pdr bands. With the handle of the bullet puller lowered you can lower the press arm.
View attachment 5848
The boat tail will go into the collet just enough to center everything up, then press the tip into place. You will feel when the tip is fully seated.
View attachment 5849
Raise the arm of the press. The tip die will stay in the jaws. And the bullet will stay I'm the puller. Raise the arm of the puller to drop the bullet into your hand.
View attachment 5850
Wash rinse repeat.
Very inventive! Bravo!

Back