Crimping Hammer Bullets

(Originally posted 10/5/2020)

shinbone
99% of this information came from Butterbean. I added a few personal tweaks here and there. I am just starting to use this technique, but wanted to post my very first results to encourage others to experiment, as well. This post should be read in addition to Butterbean's original post: "How and why I use a Lee Factory Crimp" ( hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/1015/why-use-lee-factory-crimp )

Unlike many other brands of bullets, Hammer bullets seem to respond well to crimping. By "respond well", I mean the handloader will typically see a reduction in group size, an increase in velocity, and a reduction in Extreme Spread of velocity, by applying a suitable amount of crimp to his loads. Like most things in handloading, the "correct amount" has to be found by experimentation. The preferred tool for crimping Hammer bullets is the Lee FCD crimp die. This is the crimp procedure shared with me by Butterbean.
IMG_3128-X2.jpg

This is how I mark the die ring and crimp body. As marked, the user can easily achieve 1/16T resolution. I use a Forster Coax press, and thus substitute a Forster die ring for the factory-supplied Lee die ring. I use the notch in the Forster die ring as the "0" mark. The photo shows the crimp die set at 1/8T.

IMG_3126-XL.jpg

Here's a target showing 5-shot groups at 100yds with a 300WSM at 0 crimp, 1/8T, 2/8T, and 4/8T crimp. 124gn Hammer Hunter, 62.3gn IMR 4064, velocity per my Labradar is 3580 at optimum crimp.

IMG_3101-X2.jpg

This graph makes it a little easier to see the results of crimping the above load. Solid line is group size. Dashed line is velocity.

IMG_3124-XL.jpg

ButterBean
Platinum Member
That's an awesome write up, Thank You

rngrfromthemtns
seems like no crimp is optimal based on your group...thoughts?

shinbone
I'm not sure I follow . . . no crimp produced a 1" group; a 1/8T crimp produced near .6" group. That seems like a significant improvement by crimping. Crimping also bumped up velocity.

rngrfromthemtns
what's the group size minus the flyer without a crimp? Horizontal stringing with heavy crimp?

shinbone
Yes, without the flyer, the first group is best. But, in all honesty, flyers count towards group size. Especially uncalled flyers, which that one was. At least that's how I count them.

mbruce
Platinum Member
It would be cool to see if those results are repeatable at the same incremental crimp

shinbone
For sure. This is one test with positive results. With the crimping details broken down to a step-by-step recipe, I am hoping others will give it a try.

I'll be doing more testing, myself, once hunting season has passed.

rngrfromthemtns
I have crimp dies ordered for a handful of cartridges. I'm hoping to do the same especially with a couple rifles that are throwing some not great data and whether it's time to send time packing or put more $ into them.

shinbone
I am looking forward to seeing your results.

farleg
Platinum Member
Gday shinbone that’s getting laminated & into my draw of references
thanks for spending the time doing this
Love this place
Cheers

joliver
very nice! I should be testing 28Nos crimping this weekend. I didn't do varying crimps as i'm still trying to workout Max charge and basic load development. I just used BB's suggestion of seating the die to the cartridge raised in the die. So my crimps should be very light starting out. We will see what the chrono says.

Chungus
Butterbean or Shinbone,

Awesome info/write up. I've always just used neck tension to hold bullets in place, so I'm new to crimping. It sounds like crimping is the way to go with hammerS, so I ordered a couple of Lee FCD's to get the job done.

I realize there could be differences in the degree of crimping and crimp location for a specific rifle, but I'm wondering if someone could post some up close photos of what their crimps look like?

Thanks advance!

harperc
Global Moderator
I missed this first time around, very solid work!

jb338
I spent a few hours reading and re- reading, I posted a question on just neck tension only. I get it now. (wish there was a light bulb emoji) always leaning. thanks for your help.

shinbone
I would say neck tension and crimping are different from one another, and one does not substitute for the other. I would optimize neck tension first, and then experiment with crimp to see if there is any further improvement to be had.

Maybe Butterbean will chime in here, because he has a lot more experience with crimping than I do.

riceman
Global Moderator
Here's a few pics , close ups.
Pics are of 7rm w/101 hh(2nd pic), 308 win w/137hh(3rd & 4th pic)
And 264wm w109ah(first pic).
To prevent cold welding during long term storage, I dip bullets in dry lube before loading. That can be seen on 264wmw/109ah next to crimp.
These crimps are 1/4 turn.
Hope this helps.

wYELoVHrjmEguqEhvklX.png
wdFFlggdDpTRgnlNewfD.png
GPpXQZltrrHjEvRUrqPZ.png
BxRNQmRyMLfPSLxGhiVl.png

littlebighorn
That is awesome riceman!
A picture is always worth more than a thousand words!

Chungus
Thanks Harperc, I'm learning a lot from you all and it sounds like I need to brush up on cold welding tonight.

Thanks to Shinbone and Riceman for the info on the progression through neck tension/crimping and photos/dry lube recommendation.

The photos give us a good idea on what the end product will/should look like, and the crimp definitely looks like it will prevent bullet slippage.

Hoping to load some 7mm-08 rounds tomorrow for testing and put all of this new-found knowledge to use. That way when I tell the wife I've been on my phone alot lately because of my intimate relationship with reloading, she knows I'm telling the truth 😉

ButterBean
Platinum Member
Looks like you say they have you on the right track

nMDCwIFHPXBiSbMdIaeO.png
urpQXYCgqhD0WfzynFmA.png

chad
So……. Are you all seating the bullet all the way in your case and crimping the first ring in the bullet or are you seating at different depths?

riceman
Global Moderator
Different depths depending type of bullet. Short bullets with only 2 pdr grooves like 124hh 30 cal. and 101hh 7mm go to the top one. This would be to get enough stability for the bullet in the neck.
I always try to seat as long as possible with limitations on magazine length and touching rifling. The first pic from above that I posted was 2nd groove on a absolute hammer bullet.

chad
I’m loading the 131 hh in 7 mag. So you suggest seating the bullet all in to the top grove to crimp?

riceman
Global Moderator
This a pic of what I loaded for my son. If you zoom in on pic it is second groove.
This load was very good in his 700 rem 7rm.
Es of 3 at 3417 av.

OODMlBODtESjRHbDhZlN.png

chad
Ok. I ordered a crimp die and as soon as my gun gets back from the smith I’ll start loading. I’m excited to get these going. Hope the do the job on elk like people are saying.

deadman
So if we're using Type S dies, do we have to adjust our neck tension target to account for the crimp?

Also, I had a much more knowledgeable person than me comment on where my bullet was seated...does it matter if the bullet is seated on the peak of the gas ring or the valley?

tdot
Does the length of the case have to be consistent to have consistent crimps? In my head it seems that should be very necessary, yet I cant seem to find that info anywhere. Either for or against consistent case length.

riceman
Global Moderator
Yes trimming your cases to the same length will give you the best even crimp. Various lengths will vary crimp tension. Trying to keep everything as consistent as possible will help your load.

oxn
Okay semi Hammer reloading newb here. Never done any crimping, but trying to take a ~1.25 MOA load into sub-MOA territory. I have the Hornady Custom Grade dies, which allow you do add a roll crimp like so:

Is this similar enough to the crimping you guys describe to be worthwhile, or do you need the FCD dies?
I’m thinking the same with Hornady Custom Grade Dies. Probably an acceptable way to crimp. This is how I will do my next loads

I played around with increasing the crimp along with my standard 0.002" neck tension. From what I've seen its well worth it. I went from a load of 54.7gr of H4350 @ 3290fps with just the neck tension, no crimp, to 54.2 gr H4350 @ 3330fps by adding a 0.002" crimp. Accuracy stayed the same, decreased the load slightly to back off of pressure a bit

I played around with increasing the crimp along with my standard 0.002" neck tension. From what I've seen its well worth it. I went from a load of 54.7gr of H4350 @ 3290fps with just the neck tension, no crimp, to 54.2 gr H4350 @ 3330fps by adding a 0.002" crimp. Accuracy stayed the same, decreased the load slightly to back off of pressure a bit
Atta Boy

I'm looking for a LFD to crimp 22 Creedmoor rounds.
Lee does not list a die for that cartridge, so my question is can I use something else that will work?
22-250ai?

IIRC if the case trim lengths are the same, then yes. But I do remember sending off cases to Lee to have my 22 crudemore Lee Factory Crimp die made. This was before covid they should be taking special orders again mine was $75

That was absolutely of no help, I'm sorry🤓

Not to beat a dead horse here but my Lee FCD for 22-250 and 224 Valkyrie both do a flat, not rolled, crimp, and it's fairly wide in relation to the PDR bands on the 44HH. I was loading 22-250 at the seating depth in the first picture with the black sharpie on the neck. But after examining much of the crimp was on the 3rd band. So I seated the bullet a little deeper to the depth seen in the second image. I'm going to test both this weekend. I also loaded some seated deeper at the first groove instead of the second. Kept crimp consistent at 1/4 turn. I'll update with results after this weekend.
But after taking pics im wondering if maybe i should have went even a little deeper than the second image.
Thoughts?
View attachment 1000015565.jpg

Attachments

• 1000015563.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22
Not to beat a dead horse here but my Lee FCD for 22-250 and 224 Valkyrie both do a flat, not rolled, crimp, and it's fairly wide in relation to the PDR bands on the 44HH. I was loading 22-250 at the seating depth in the first picture with the black sharpie on the neck. But after examining much of the crimp was on the 3rd band. So I seated the bullet a little deeper to the depth seen in the second image. I'm going to test both this weekend. I also loaded some seated deeper at the first groove instead of the second. Kept crimp consistent at 1/4 turn. I'll update with results after this weekend.
But after taking pics im wondering if maybe i should have went even a little deeper than the second image.
Thoughts?
View attachment 5525
It does look wider (tip to tail) than my various Lee FCDies. I've never taken the FCD apart to look at the collets but presumably they could have different profiles; or even be modified?

Not to beat a dead horse here but my Lee FCD for 22-250 and 224 Valkyrie both do a flat, not rolled, crimp, and it's fairly wide in relation to the PDR bands on the 44HH.
Your not alone, there is a dedicated thread discussing this and potential solutions.

Your not alone, there is a dedicated thread discussing this and potential solutions.

Thank you for that link

So I’ve always run very light crimp
On my bolt guns and more on my ar for obvious reasons of bullet being moved by feeding. I went very heavy crimp
On my .300 win mag ar. I’m gonna back off a bit and seat a bit deeper for my last try before I take them up on new barrel. Almost burnt up an entire box of hammer with this thing. Never had one that won’t shoot hammers well. This may be a first.

So I’ve always run very light crimp
On my bolt guns and more on my ar for obvious reasons of bullet being moved by feeding. I went very heavy crimp
On my .300 win mag ar. I’m gonna back off a bit and seat a bit deeper for my last try before I take them up on new barrel. Almost burnt up an entire box of hammer with this thing. Never had one that won’t shoot hammers well. This may be a first.
What neck interference are you running?

What neck interference are you running?
I know this sounds stupid but I never checked. I have the Hornady dies so I can’t swap out bushing. So I just ran them through and loaded. Then crimped. Never not found a fantastic load with just a few tweaks. Maybe I need to go back and look.

I know this sounds stupid but I never checked. I have the Hornady dies so I can’t swap out bushing. So I just ran them through and loaded. Then crimped. Never not found a fantastic load with just a few tweaks. Maybe I need to go back and look.
Just pull the expander ball and I'll bet your problems will be solved

Back