DIY Deer Butcher Job

Actually, you aren't supposed to process wild game alongside inspected meat here either.

Processors here have two different locations/physical facilities.
The grocery store butchers/meat shops can only process inspected meats. Wild game /privately raised meat processors have different facilities altogether - and inspected meats can't be stored or processed in the same place as wild game.

Actually, you aren't supposed to process wild game alongside inspected meat here either.

The grocery store butchers/meat shops can only process inspected meats. Wild game /privately raised meat processors have different facilities altogether - and inspected meats can't be stored or processed in the same place as wild game.
Interesting

That explains a lot as I have read a bit about people getting butchers to procces game in the US.

I took an African safari/cull hunt and that outfitter also own a butcher shop in Grahamstown.

We are various game fillets at the lodge but they also proccesed game in the butcher shop. I asked to look in there as a part of our touring etc.

They bring the game in along a seperate line or rail but basically it was game coming in one door and inspected meat through another door. I think they just proccesed in different areas or cleaned between processing I guess .
Both available at the front of shop and game is sold in many supermarkets.

I have always done it in a shed, the field or a kitchen when available paying attention to cleaning before and after. Last year I got into Salami etc in the cool weather I use a stainless bench in the shed and just clean everything. Doesn't matter if I have a sheep or I have managed to harvest game. I bought a side of pork to start my smallgoods journey something I have always wanted to learn. Haven't saved any money yet but still enjoying the process

Obviously (?) No game animals/waterfowl can be sold here. Processing is done for individuals for a fee, and taken home.
Some (many) will also skin your animal too, for an additional small fee - and if you're going to mount an animal, they'll cape it too (for a bit more of a fee).

The term "processing" is interesting relative to butcher shops versus meat processors. They can process if you bring them the meat already butchered from animal. Depending on state probably. So a meat processing shop can take in meat for sausage, sticks and jerky et al. Local meat processor that takes in whole beef, hogs and or sheep for example takes in already processed game meat. They cannot actually take in a whole deer etc. I bring them SS bowls of venison for sausage, sticks and dang additive jerky they make. Trolling for salmon eating sliced sausage/sharp cheese, sticks and or jerky is heaven!

Grandpa said, "You shoot it you clean it!" I've always enjoyed the butchering process. On the other hand, grandma always insisted that we pluck the ducks and geese and do the paraffin dip to get out all of the pin feathers. We had to save the down feathers for pillows. There were many times we were up until 2:00 A.M. cleaning ducks. Pretty much all of my birds are skinned these days. Way quicker!

Grandpa said, "You shoot it you clean it!" I've always enjoyed the butchering process. On the other hand, grandma always insisted that we pluck the ducks and geese and do the paraffin dip to get out all of the pin feathers. We had to save the down feathers for pillows. There were many times we were up until 2:00 A.M. cleaning ducks. Pretty much all of my birds are skinned these days. Way quicker!
Divers I could see skinning but not the puddle ducks. That California rice fat is what makes them a delicacy.

We do all our own deer, bear and hogs. Usually with deer, what can be steaked is, the backstraps saved, and the rest goes into the grinder for burger. Some of the burger is mixed with 70-30 beef to add some fat, and some of the burger goes to snack sticks (slim Jim), summer sausage. This year a roast or two may be saved to attempt making pastrami. If you look on ebay you can find some decent equipment. I got an OLD electric deli slicer for about $30, but it works like a champ.

I butchered and jerked my own for years.
Had a commercial grinder, electric thin slicer (for jerkey), smoker, then a dehumidifer (like for drying fruit), a band saw and such. Never did get a cuber, too expensive. Finally quit and gave my stuff to friends.
Now I just get it processed. Getting old and lazy, plus my hands don't work very well.
This is me as well

This is me as well
C'mon Big Fella. I reckon you could still dress down that Deer or Elk . Your not that old yet you can't do some butchering.
I knocked up some Cabana today and smoked a Metwurst I had started , all before I went on Afternoon shift.
I'm slowing down too but came off afternooon shift to vac pac my Cabanossi all so I can sleep tight.
You might be able to set me straight.
Watching YouTube tonight it dawned on me that Summer Sausage seems to have similar spice mix and method to a German Metwurst. Does that seem so?

C'mon Big Fella. I reckon you could still dress down that Deer or Elk . Your not that old yet you can't do some butchering.
I knocked up some Cabana today and smoked a Metwurst I had started , all before I went on Afternoon shift.
I'm slowing down too but came off afternooon shift to vac pac my Cabanossi all so I can sleep tight.
You might be able to set me straight.
Watching YouTube tonight it dawned on me that Summer Sausage seems to have similar spice mix and method to a German Metwurst. Does that seem so?
I still like making jerky but with my schedule I just don’t have the time, the Amish are 30 minutes up the road and will process a whole deer and vacuum seal it for $100, EZPZ

Last edited:
Hey Bean,
I skin, quarter and wash mine, then take 'em to the processor. Actually get em ground up for just a bit less.
One whole deer gets made into summer sausage & snack sticks. Now THAT is much more expensive🤪
I'm still reading all I can and trying to take out the best of it to suit my needs

I've asked before what summer sausage is as the term seems to be American.

Looking at recipes, spice mixes and you tube demos it actually seems to have similar ingredients to a German Metwurst. The Metwurst is sometimes fermented then cooked. That is the style I'm trying to perfect.
Summer Sausage seems to have an encapsulated citric acid that dissolve s in cooking to give it the tang that fermentation otherwise imparts.

Similar but different I guess as I don't see "Summer Sausage" here.

Apart from time it's interesting and something I always wanted to learn.

If I get away to hunt Deer when it cools again I plan to harvest a good amount of meat because I will proccess the lot into a variety of stuff.

Must get moving as I'm starting to dry some Biltong today.

The "summer sausage" common here is very similar to salami. The seasoning used is somewhat different from salami and the sausages are typically smoked. No fermentation is involved that I am aware of. It is also common to add either bits of cheese or jalapeno to the mix when it is ground up and cased.
It will last a long time in the refrigerator. I freeze mine and take one out at a time. I make sandwiches out of it for lunch every day. Snack sticks are basically the same, just smaller. I carry a small pack when hunting /fishing.

Back