Don't Be Stupid

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
It's not just my ex-girl Shania Twain's popular song, but I'm talking component procurement. As this year ages the components will get even more scarce and expensive than they are now. Priority should be on reloading components and ammo. This election year is going to be nuts. The firearm industry is driven by fear just like the stock market. It will be a long while before it settles back in, and then the stuff will be even more expensive. If I see one of you posting like a naked brains in August that he can't find stuff and all shocked about it...

That is all. Carry on! :cool:

I was just thinking about this. I figured I would make a list of things I’d like to stock up on and grab some while it here.
Not hoard just set aside for the next wave of panic. One here one there. Just keep ahead of the curve, like a sane person.

Last edited:
I look at component procurement as a "loan" in my budget each month. I set aside $ to purchase when a component becomes available. I have also learned not to be a "component SNOB" and ONLY buy a specific unobtainium component whether a specific primer, powder or brass. I am now using some Remington 9 1/2 LRM primers in LR primer applications with really good results, never would have tried until bottom fell out on FM primers. They are popping up more frequently than other primers. Using different powders has opened up whole new understanding on what other powders offer again with good success. Ramshot and Accurate powders are pretty darn good and seem available at good pricing. Brass is my only tough one to get by but this is where I say bite bullet (please cup and core since Hammers prob damage teeth!😂😂) and really stock up at EVERY chance you can.

Not unlike others, I got caught short during the Clinton era. I almost did again during Obama. Vowed never again.
Now when I get down to 2000 of every primer I use I get more. I also test different primers often as part of load development.
I keep at least 3 brands of LR and LRM primers on hand. Don't use much L pistol, S pistol or S Rif any more - but still got a bunch of them too. Wish I could find some Win 209 shotgun primers. Down to less than 5K😮‍💨.

There is no such thing as to much / many when it comes to reloading. I knew guys that had to limit their shooting because they were low on primers, powders, bullets, etc.... Not me!!! Prices are not going back to what they were and will only continue to rise. Buy as much as you can afford, when you can afford it and stock it away. Copper is the new Gold..... I figure when I die, my kids can have it...or sell it and put a small fortune towards a down payment on a house.

Thanks for the heads up, Brad.

These arrived today... I was about to blame you, but thanks to this thread, now I can't !!

Probably should've bought a thousand primers instead... Yah yah... I'm a little slow,

If there was any question as to my stupidy level, this post should remove all doubt!

20240315_151218_HDR.jpg

If I run out of ammo during the apocalypse, I'll think of these, and probably still be satisfied though 🤣🤣🤣

Hard to get over my own frugality on this one, but glad I did. I've got a few pounds of powder to pour anyway 😉

Jury is still out on the rings - got a set to try, and damn are they chunky! I can see my elevation turret a lot better now though!

20240315_184542.jpg

And there I was getting excited that there are some primers available for $220/1000 instead of nothing available and $400+/1000 if you can get them… anyone on here tried white river primers? Apparently they’re a new mob from 🇺🇸

Thanks for the heads up, Brad.

These arrived today... I was about to blame you, but thanks to this thread, now I can't !!

Probably should've bought a thousand primers instead... Yah yah... I'm a little slow,

If there was any question as to my stupidy level, this post should remove all doubt!

View attachment 6202

If I run out of ammo during the apocalypse, I'll think of these, and probably still be satisfied though 🤣🤣🤣

Hard to get over my own frugality on this one, but glad I did. I've got a few pounds of powder to pour anyway 😉

Jury is still out on the rings - got a set to try, and damn are they chunky! I can see my elevation turret a lot better now though!

View attachment 6204
OK, you hit me in the feels with this one! Anything A419 is a win at any time!
I convinced myself to buy that funnel set last year because I deserved it after 20+ years using the same $1.99 plastic funnel. Love it every time I use it!

I would get those rings, but I love the ARC M-Brace rings over all others. Yeah, they chunky too, but rock solid bomb proof stuff. The clamp style rings allow for the easiest scope mounting I've had. They don't move the scope at all while tightening with even the recommended 50inlbs of torque!

50 inch pound of torque?!?!😯

Highest I’ve ever seen recommended was 30, with vortex only suggesting 18 I think it was. Man I learn something new every day.
It's due to the manner in which the torque is applied with the clamp in relation to the spread of the pressure over the entire scope tube cylinder. In contrast to traditional top & bottom clamps compressing the top and bottom of the scope.

OK, you hit me in the feels with this one! Anything A419 is a win at any time!
I convinced myself to buy that funnel set last year because I deserved it after 20+ years using the same $1.99 plastic funnel. Love it every time I use it!

Yes, I am pleased as punch. I read somewhere that the number one rule of efficiency is 'touch things once' - now instead of putting the funnel down and picking it up to charge each individual case, I can just move the funnel from one case to the next. Over 10's of thousands of chargings, it's bound to save a fair amount of time. Once I realized that I was sold!

I would get those rings, but I love the ARC M-Brace rings over all others. Yeah, they chunky too, but rock solid bomb proof stuff. The clamp style rings allow for the easiest scope mounting I've had. They don't move the scope at all while tightening with even the recommended 50inlbs of torque!

My last set of M-10's is for sale!!

20240315_181007.jpg

I had a few sets at one point and I know a lot of people love them, so not goona argue with you (or Ted! 🤣)

Personally I never felt 100% comfortable with 50in/lbs torque on light weight scopes. Often ran 40in/lbs on the top screw there. I know vertically split rings cause problems for some scopes, and the ARCs are kind of similar... If a guy asks around, he'll find some reports of ARC rings causing similar problems to vertically split rings (binding parallax adjustment in some cases)

I have had scopes get stuck in ARC rings on a couple of occasions - not seriously, but have opened the tops of the rings, went to pull the scope and ended up picking up the whole rifle... By the scope! No marks or mechanical damage, but more than a vapour lock...

I think discontinuing the M10 and introducing the M-Brace might have something to do with this as M-Brace is wider and this more evenly distributes the clamping force...

I like the A419's because they offer almost twice as much clamping surface on the scope tube. I think this is how they can recommend 18in/lb of torque and not be concerned about scope slip.

This also translates into double the clamping surface on the rail, and with 2 cross bolts per ring, these A419 rings feel as solid as a unimount!

My main problem with the M10's was that in a couple of cases I can't see my elevation turret through the top of the ARC ring when I'm 'in the scope', the clamp is just too tall!

Unfortunately Seekins doesn't make a 30mm ring at 1.1", so I thought I'd try something new!

Anyway, that's my story, I'll stop hijacking your thread now.

Thanks for the tip on the funnels though - I shook my head at first, but now that I have a set, it's life-changing! 🤓

Yes, I am pleased as punch. I read somewhere that the number one rule of efficiency is 'touch things once' - now instead of putting the funnel down and picking it up to charge each individual case, I can just move the funnel from one case to the next. Over 10's of thousands of chargings, it's bound to save a fair amount of time. Once I realized that I was sold!

My last set of M-10's is for sale!!

View attachment 6213

I had a few sets at one point and I know a lot of people love them, so not goona argue with you (or Ted! 🤣)

Personally I never felt 100% comfortable with 50in/lbs torque on light weight scopes. Often ran 40in/lbs on the top screw there. I know vertically split rings cause problems for some scopes, and the ARCs are kind of similar... If a guy asks around, he'll find some reports of ARC rings causing similar problems to vertically split rings (binding parallax adjustment in some cases)

I have had scopes get stuck in ARC rings on a couple of occasions - not seriously, but have opened the tops of the rings, went to pull the scope and ended up picking up the whole rifle... By the scope! No marks or mechanical damage, but more than a vapour lock...

I think discontinuing the M10 and introducing the M-Brace might have something to do with this as M-Brace is wider and this more evenly distributes the clamping force...

I like the A419's because they offer almost twice as much clamping surface on the scope tube. I think this is how they can recommend 18in/lb of torque and not be concerned about scope slip.

This also translates into double the clamping surface on the rail, and with 2 cross bolts per ring, these A419 rings feel as solid as a unimount!

My main problem with the M10's was that in a couple of cases I can't see my elevation turret through the top of the ARC ring when I'm 'in the scope', the clamp is just too tall!

Unfortunately Seekins doesn't make a 30mm ring at 1.1", so I thought I'd try something new!

Anyway, that's my story, I'll stop hijacking your thread now.

Thanks for the tip on the funnels though - I shook my head at first, but now that I have a set, it's life-changing! 🤓
Well, then. I got into the ARC stuff post M10 rings. The issues you stated must have been the reason for the latest designed M-Brace style. I've put many scopes into and out of my M-Brace with no issues at all.

Anyway, yup back to people being prepared for the nutzo election year!

Back