Easy Sight In?

Muddyboots

Staff member
So I was talking to @Farleg and EPZ sight in came up in discussion. Low and behold, we do the same thing to save bullets, time and heartburn! Who would figure? Though years ago, I was anointed honorary Aussie traveling there.

So what is this magic? Bore sighting? šŸ¤® Looking down bore?šŸ¤®

However, There are two Line of Sight crossings for a bullet traveling downrange. First LOS is prob on average 30-40 yds while second LOS is Zero. Obviously the Zero prob most at 200 yds but just going cold to range to shoot 200 can waste a lot of components. This is one discrepancy that ballistic software writers just can't wrap their heads around to call it out as separate calculated yardage. Many years ago, I had a ballistic program that carved it out separately. Why? If you set ballistic program to one yard increments, you will find the first LOS where the bullet rises up across bore LOS. Value? If you precisely set range from target to muzzle to the first LOS crossing yardage, you will be pretty much zeroed at 200 yds. By doing so, you can do first LOS sight in, go to range and let it rip at 200. It will be extremely close to being zeroed in. Once you do this, you will have the ability to check zero while hunting by testing zero at the first LOS distance. Much easier to check at 38 yds versus 200 at a hunting camp.

For example, I plugged in my .270 with 156HH @ 3200fps. The first LOS is est 40.5 yards. All I have to do is measure target to my bench so muzzle is precisely 40.5 yards. It may sound worthless but at cost of components and or if you need to verify in back country, it can be huge benefit.

I will pop some popcorn....

IMG_1043.jpeg

Gday muddy
I missed this thread but our new skinny ugly fan šŸ˜œtold me about it so a looking I went & hey presto Iā€™m here

Great chat the other night ( my time lol )
Thankyou sir

Yes this ezy sight system is one every hunter should embrace especially if wayout yonder & a fall happens & bumps your scope out of whack

The most memorable one I had was in the rees valley in New Zealand chasing whitetail & chamois when I come a cropper bigtime that ruined my illumination on my swaro as it moved the front ocular housing around about 150 degrees from where it should have been & was on a fly camp fwith 2 days to go & only 7 bullets left with still a few good chamois spotted that took my fancy & 1 whitetail that I really wanted but just couldnā€™t get close enough prior (just under 1400 was all I could get to prior to the fall & Iā€™d never taken a critter that far before 1296 was longest @ that stage so I passed the whitetail up )

My mate thought I was made when I started stepping out my range & stopped @36 yard which is 108 of my feet šŸ˜œ
no rangefinder used lol but did confirm my rangefinder was still accurate or roughly after fall
I set up a back country dehydrated meal package on 2 sticks & proceeded to check my point of aim
1 & done @ that range
Then confirming @300 also 1&done
& still had 5 bullets left while I still left with 3 bullets but got 2 more heads & one of them was that white tail although he was only roughly 200 yards one chamois was taken @ 660 so I was pretty happy on how the 36 yard zero worked for me on that trip & while I hope it never happens to anyone itā€™s a great thing to have in your skill set & a once in a lifetime trip where limited quantities of ammo are taken or backpack hunts itā€™s one Iā€™d personally take note of & itā€™s just a simple addition to your drop charts that I think everyone should have

& you guys with that app stuff yeah itā€™s quick & easy but do you take a paper copy ( laminated of course) & calculator of the basics to get you out of trouble as Murphy has a habit of getting hold of you when you least expect it in my experience

Just something to potentially think about & thanks for bringing it up muddy as now I know Iā€™m not the only nutcase šŸ¤£

Cheers

Sounds like you took too much ammo mate!

I agree, apps have their place and are useful for playing around with numbers but I never rely on them in the field! Thatā€™s a place for hard copy physical laminated paper!

Iā€™d be nervous about checking zero if I have reason to believe it moved (bump etc) at that short of range. It will be obvious if itā€™s way off, but would be pretty easy to miss a few clicks worth when clicks are that close together. I find it easier to break a far away rock. Very useful for bore sighting though.

the 50/200 MPBR zero is an old classic zero that works to this day. But when I got my first adjustable turret dial scope I switched back to a 100yd zero as I can always dial the 200yd zero for MPBR environments. ( I hunt a wide range here in Oregon from thick brush to open desert country on the east side). Ive never found it difficult to look down the bore at 100yds and then zero in 2 or 3 shots with good ammo.

So revival!
I just got opportunity to hunt woodchucks on neighbors farm and wanted to use my .243 with 55HH. I have velocity profile but zero range time other than 25yd velocity profile. Hmmm, if I truly believe in LOS sight in, this is the perfect scenario to test it out.

Using Hornady app, plugged in the 55HH at a sluggish 4025. The 2nd zero was set at 200yds. According to the Hornady app, the 1st LOS is 57 yds. I set target and used Leica 2700B to set rifle muzzle up EXACTLY 57yds to target. This setting has to be dead nuts on to achieve the accuracy of using LOS sight in. It is far easier to achieve a precision dead zero at 57yds than at 200yds. Couple shots that were perfect center X and ready to go. Yeah, I know, OMG! You can't do that! This is very simple ballistic calculation and 100% accurate. You just have to lose your OCD in this process. Incredibly easy to set perfect zero at the 1st LOS. And yes translates to the 2nd zero perfectly. If you cannot trust this ballistic calculation then you cannot trust ballistic apps for the data you use. Bear in mind this is NOT to shoot ELR since there are mitigating factors to consider then, the bullet BC at degrading velocities becomes another can of worms. BUT at these ranges no doubt in my mind effective. Saves components and no doubt you can get far more precision at 1st LOS than 2nd LOS AKA zero.

So decided to go hunting. Printed shot drop table from Hornady to 500yds! šŸ˜‚

My set up is my CanAm Defender with range box in back with lead sled with no weight as shooting platform. I would slip out driver side and set up for shot behind the CanAm to hide me a bit. So drove down a 2 track in middle of farm and bingo see a chuck on far side of field. Ranged 410yds, 3 MOA. Dialed. Placed crosshair and red mist was everywhere! So think about it. 1st LOS, no range time to satisfy my OCD but result was dead nuts on. Chuck #2 at 379 yds and perfect dial up. Chuck #3 was at 265 yds.

This sight in works but I never truly tested it to this degree. This can be same scenario if your rifle takes a hit and you need to verify your zero. Use the 1st LOS which far easier to do in a base camp instead of trying to find spot or even prevent spooking game away from camp.

My next test will be 300WM 154HHT@3580 for 300yd zero using 31.6 yds for 1st LOS. The 31.6 is from -.09 + 0.04= 0.13/2 = .06 so equates to the 31.6yds. This is close enough since the added precision at this distance offsets the variables affecting 200yd zeroing IMO. Then testing at 300.

So how do you find 1st LOS? Ballistic apps allow you to set incremental yardages for drop table. Use 1 yd and scroll to the first zero on drop table. Depending on bullet, velocity, 2nd LOS (zero) and altitude it can be anywhere from upper 20's to 50's.

OK, let the OCD kick in. BTW I bet bigger popcorn is needed for this one, just saying!

@Farleg: here you go!!!

IMG_3720.gifIMG_4257.jpeg

Gday
Omg muddy you canā€™t do that šŸ˜±
Hmmm Iā€™m talking give me a bag of popcorn that big to eat as it takes to long unlike what you showed is the simplest kiss method Iā€™ve seen & used šŸ˜Ž & best thing it works as youā€™ve demonstrated

Learning to call your shots is about the only thing that helps speed up that process & those chucks seem a perfect tool / critter to do it with & you called your shots perfectly so no adjustments needed imo as your in the perfect range of killing efficiency
But thatā€™s for another thread & one muddy & I are on the same path along with a few others so stay tuned for that but I really like this system put up here

Cheers

Freaking non stop! Last night I dialed 3 MOA wind on by guess by golly and holy crap was spot on. Buying lottery ticket today!!! Every day been up to 20+. Lucky as hell. And no Kestrel. Yet.

Today
Partly sunny, with a high near 49. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Back